Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Permabanned
Just got a deal with EE.

20Gb Data
Max speeds
Unlimited calls and txt
12 months insurance
All the half share stuff when out of the UK
iPhone 7 Plus Jet black
128Gb

£37 a month and only £30 upfront cost.

So recommendations for case, screen protector and anything else

Soldato
The whole point of getting jet black is to show the finish off, then get upset at how it marks when you so much as even look at it... But seriously, it depends what you want out of a case.

I'd prefer to go naked but the aluminium finish is easily marked and dented, and more importantly isn't grippy at all so I ended up getting a Pitaka Aramid case (made of a material very similar to Kevlar) after trying and eventually getting fed up with the typical sub-1mm ultra thin cases, which all crack or warp eventually and don't really add much grip either, just minor scratch protection (until they end up letting stuff in the gaps). The case is barely-there so doesn't increase the overall dimensions by much, doesn't have too much of a 'lip' so I can still feel the curve of the glass on the front (I never lay the phone face down anyway), but most importantly adds plenty of grip. Looks clean and understated too. It's not perfect but it's done the job so far.

Permabanned
The whole point of getting jet black is to show the finish off, then get upset at how it marks when you so much as even look at it... But seriously, it depends what you want out of a case.

I'd prefer to go naked but the aluminium finish is easily marked and dented, and more importantly isn't grippy at all so I ended up getting a Pitaka Aramid case (made of a material very similar to Kevlar) after trying and eventually getting fed up with the typical sub-1mm ultra thin cases, which all crack or warp eventually and don't really add much grip either, just minor scratch protection (until they end up letting stuff in the gaps). The case is barely-there so doesn't increase the overall dimensions by much, doesn't have too much of a 'lip' so I can still feel the curve of the glass on the front (I never lay the phone face down anyway), but most importantly adds plenty of grip. Looks clean and understated too. It's not perfect but it's done the job so far.

Where you get the case from? Does sound like something I'd want. I had the Apple leather which was crap on my 6 plus. I would be nice too have something strong but thin and light.

Soldato
Just search for Pitaka Aramid on Amazon. Looks like carbon fibre but unlike real carbon fibre it doesn't block the signal.

Might as well list the cons before you check...
1) the price - not cheap (cheaper than the Apple leather case though)
2) bottom and some of the top of the phone exposed - although no sign of wear on the top of the phone from going in my pocket

Permabanned
Just search for Pitaka Aramid on Amazon. Looks like carbon fibre but unlike real carbon fibre it doesn't block the signal.

Might as well list the cons before you check...
1) the price - not cheap (cheaper than the Apple leather case though)
2) bottom and some of the top of the phone exposed - although no sign of wear on the top of the phone from going in my pocket

£33 aint bad and it comes with screen protector also

Man of Honour
I had the Apple leather which was crap on my 6 plus.
What didn't you like about it? I use the leather case with my 7+ and used it with my 6S+ and never had an issue. It feels nice, isn't bulky, I've dropped the phone loads and not one single mark anywhere on the phone.

Permabanned
What didn't you like about it? I use the leather case with my 7+ and used it with my 6S+ and never had an issue. It feels nice, isn't bulky, I've dropped the phone loads and not one single mark anywhere on the phone.

It split, ripped, fell apart and offered no protection

Soldato
I had two Apple leather cases for my 6 and have one for my current 6S+. The 6 got dropped a lot and the cases held up really well, taking the damage. I find them really good, albeit expensive.

Man of Honour
Well after several months of ownership, I can honestly say other than one time where I wanted to listen to music but had low battery, so couldn't while charging, I've not had any issues with the removal of the audiojack. Good decision I feel.

Soldato
It still bugs me occasionally.. like when my bluetooth headphones are flat and I have to go looking for the adapter or when I'm in the GFs car and there's no adapter on the 3.5mm jack.

In fact it's become more irritating to me over time oddly and now I think the adapter is starting to crap out, I get crackles if I move my headphone jack (I've got plenty of headphones, it's not them) and again it's only £9 but it's the faff I don't like.

Soldato
How are these phones a while down the line ? I'm not looking to buy a new phone instantly but have been pondering it, I have an LG G4 now, and I have to be honest and say it does everything I want it to do and its got an amazing camera, it works great, the only mild down side is the battery life sucks, but i have 4 batteries for it - also apparently android 7 will defo be coming out for it later in the year which sorts the battery drain apparently.

I looked at IP7+ vs LG v20 - and the v20 slays the iphones camera brutally (especially in low light), but the Iphone has a faster cpu.

I think im just suffering from the western worlds constant 'buy buy buy' message, everything I see is trying to sell me something i dont 'need', but damn the urge to get a new phone is strong, a very strong mental problem, im compelled to keep looking at reviews and it takes up a fair bit of my thoughts, bad times! lol

Resistance is futile, consumerism is your slave haha xD :D

Soldato
Woah there.. steady with the hyperbole.. Nothing slays any of these cameras "brutally"

I'll find the YouTube video, in low light the v20 is (excuse the pun) night and day better than the iPhone. In day light they look similar per pixel, but the iPhone has much more natural colours and the v20 has punchy colours. Low light shots though it's astonishing.

Soldato
I couldn't care less about camera specs or CPU speed, for me it's the simplicity of iOS.

What makes it easier than android? I had an iPhone 4 last, and that was a beautiful device, but Android these days seems... Very similar and easy to use, icons on a screen in a same lay out, same features, Android pay is nice now, it doesn't seem night and day difference?

Man of Honour
What makes it easier than android? I had an iPhone 4 last, and that was a beautiful device, but Android these days seems... Very similar and easy to use, icons on a screen in a same lay out, same features, Android pay is nice now, it doesn't seem night and day difference?
It's the little things, like I lost my phone, went to Apple and bought a new one, then restored exactly to where my lost phone was when it last backed up with minimal fuss. I take a pic or video and there it is on my iMac and MacBook. I can do a phone call trough my iMac using my phone, every year I don't have to compare specs with other phones and dodge Samsung (who I dislike as a company, Touchwiz notwithstanding), I just buy whatever the next iPhone is.

I had iPhone till the 4S and then went Android for years up to the Nexus 5 and since coming back to iPhone my life is just simpler. I don't care for customising etc, I just want my phone to turn on and work out of the box without minimal fuss. Most of my mates who have Android keep banging on at me with specs this, specs that, my phone can do this etc. I largely couldn't give a toss, it amuses me to be honest at how desperate they are to try and convince me that I'm an idiot for buying an iPhone.

Soldato
It's the little things, like I lost my phone, went to Apple and bought a new one, then restored exactly to where my lost phone was when it last backed up with minimal fuss. I take a pic or video and there it is on my iMac and MacBook. I can do a phone call trough my iMac using my phone, every year I don't have to compare specs with other phones and dodge Samsung (who I dislike as a company, Touchwiz notwithstanding), I just buy whatever the next iPhone is.

I had iPhone till the 4S and then went Android for years up to the Nexus 5 and since coming back to iPhone my life is just simpler. I don't care for customising etc, I just want my phone to turn on and work out of the box without minimal fuss. Most of my mates who have Android keep banging on at me with specs this, specs that, my phone can do this etc. I largely couldn't give a toss, it amuses me to be honest at how desperate they are to try and convince me that I'm an idiot for buying an iPhone.

I see, interesting. Also do you mind me asking what do you use your imac for over your PC ? I also have a PC and an Imac, the imac never gets turned on - I guess its a bit of an older spec but nothing to bad (27" i7, 16gb SSD etc), I guess also the software I want works on PC better, I do have my macbook air which I use a lot, but mostly for browsing the next and super light portable device.

Soldato
Woah there.. steady with the hyperbole.. Nothing slays any of these cameras "brutally"

Here is the brutally different image quality of the Iphone 7+ vs V20 in low light. Its massively different with a ton less noise on the v20, look at the 'homemade ice cream' sign, its blotchy and noisy and much cleaner on the v20.

In the day light the differences are obviously less pronounced - the IP has more natural colours, but both shoot RAW files anyway - however, there is no denying the v20's image quality.

Click the image for a close up.

Back
Top Bottom