Doctor Who

Permabanned
Just remember how things went with ghostbusters :p

Certain film / TV roles are specific to gender. How would Thelma and Louise have worked with two male leads?

Completely different situation. Thelma and Louise is LITERALLY about gender specific roles.

The character of the Dr is almost entirely ambiguous. It can BE anyone.

EDIT: Ahhhh, cheesy beat me to ya ;)

Man of Honour
Completely different situation. Thelma and Louise is LITERALLY about gender specific roles.

The character of the Dr is almost entirely ambiguous. It can BE anyone.

Now that last sentence has me thinking, I'm not massively knowledgeable about all timelords, are there any who arent 'human'? Or is it that although they regen, they have to still remain in essence galifreyian

Soldato
I've only seen her in Broadchurch, does she do that slow micro blinking whilst vacantly looking into the middle distance thing in all her other roles? Sounds like it was always going to be Broadchurch nepotism in some for regardless, could have been worse, could have been Lenny Henry. Actually, could have been Charlie Higson which would have actually been awesome now I think about it.

Caporegime
Actually Im afraid you are being over defensive, I was 100% sincere when I said no offence intended, however if you wish to take offence where none was, thats your choice.

I wasnt aware that I had put the spotlight on anyone.

And no, as I say, I am not going to justify my opinions (on any subject) to someone I dont know in the slightest and am hugely likely to never meet or have a life relationship with, in an internet forum. Nor would I expect anyone on here to justify themselves to me
kk, no objections. Just misogyny.

Soldato
Is there a correlation between show success and writers having the same gender as the main protagonist ? ie empathy. so will they need more female writers ?
(maybe using more female writers is the commitment the BBC should also be making?)
Reference to Thelma & Louise made me consider that, but think of Jane Tenneson, TomB raider, Hunger Games;
I had also not realised Ripley was originally meant to be a male cast.
... maybe it is a gross generalisation though eg. Agatha Christie, different times though.

Man of Honour
Actually, could have been Charlie Higson which would have actually been awesome now I think about it.

Hadnt considered Higson, but yeah he might have been good for it. Tbh, my choice would have been Kris Marshall although as the Dr keeps on about wanting to be ginger, would have been pretty good if it was a ginger so he gets his dream. Trouble is, the only ginger haired who jumps to mind as available and viable is the guy who played Ron in Harry Potter and Im not really sure that would work.

Man of Honour
Is there a correlation between show success and writers having the same gender as the main protagonist ? ie empathy. so will they need more female writers ?
(maybe using more female writers is the commitment the BBC should also be making?)
Reference to Thelma & Louise made me consider that, but think of Jane Tenneson, TomB raider, Hunger Games;
I had also not realised Ripley was originally meant to be a male cast.
... maybe it is a gross generalisation though eg. Agatha Christie, different times though.

I guess as long as the actor or actress gives input then I wouldnt think the writer needs to be the same sex, as long as the actor/actress says no, he/she wouldnt behave like that, they'd do/say this instead..then it would still work.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Really? It's been canon for decades that the doctor is unisex. Surely it's positively well overdue, and therefore completely and totally not modern for the 13th Doctor to be the first to be female..

Except he has been Male since birth as we have seen him as a young boy...... BUT that's not even my issue with it, its not that fact they have gone with a female version of the doctor its the reasons behind why they did it and the lack of creative thinking where they could have gone with a new idea "hey, lets make a new strong female lead program", I can only guess they thought if they did think of something original with a female protagonist it would have fallen flat on its face, more fool them!

Also I loved the Missy take on the Master, the actress that played Missy would have done a great job as the Doctor which is a shame, also loved the Sarah Jane chronical (even if it was a proper kids show) so I have no problem with woman in lead roles or being the hero or even being the Doctor I just don't see why the media has to keep taking away Male heroes and replacing them with Female ones rather than coming up with new female heroes!

Soldato
Did you poo the bed this much when Missy appeared?

I actually really like the Missy Character, she really has made the role her own once she dropped the OTT aspect. She's actually better than John Simms, truly threatening and you totally believe she'll kill you in a horrible way if she wanted. But i can't equate her with "The Master".

Man of Honour
I actually really like the Missy Character, she really has made the role her own once she dropped the OTT aspect. She's actually better than John Simms, truly threatening and you totally believe she'll kill you in a horrible way if she wanted. But i can't equate her with "The Master".

I can understand that , Missy was awesome, I actually even liked her OTT aspect, but like you I couldnt quite grasp her being The Master. Then again, I had the same thing with Starbuck in the remake of Battlestar Galactica, thought Katie Sackhoff played an awesome character but couldnt equate it to being Starbuck (maybe if I hadnt have grown up with Dirk in the role I could have clicked with it a bit better)

Permabanned
Except he has been Male since birth as we have seen him as a young boy...... BUT that's not even my issue with it, its not that fact they have gone with a female version of the doctor its the reasons behind why they did it and the lack of creative thinking where they could have gone with a new idea "hey, lets make a new strong female lead program", I can only guess they thought if they did think of something original with a female protagonist it would have fallen flat on its face, more fool them!

Also I loved the Missy take on the Master, the actress that played Missy would have done a great job as the Doctor which is a shame, also loved the Sarah Jane chronical (even if it was a proper kids show) so I have no problem with woman in lead roles or being the hero or even being the Doctor I just don't see why the media has to keep taking away Male heroes and replacing them with Female ones rather than coming up with new female heroes!

Who else have the media taken away?

Caporegime
ust as its also my opinion that the lead character in an Aliens film should be a female, despite it being within the realms to be a male
The entire point of Ripley's role in the Alien series is that she's not taken seriously because she's a woman, and is taken advantage of by the men. Alien is about pregnancy and misogyny and all sorts.

You can't invoke Alien to mitigate your argument for why the Doctor can't be a woman. If anything it undermines your argument.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Who else have the media taken away?

Thor, IronMan in comics, Ghostbusters, Starbuck from BG...

But the point I am trying to make is (but everyone can feel free to keep skipping over it) they feel the need to change established heroes from Male to Female rather than get creative and invent new Female Heroes.

There is enough room for both.

Man of Honour
The entire point of Ripley's role in the Alien series is that she's not taken seriously because she's a woman, and is taken advantage of by the men. Alien is about pregnancy and misogyny and all sorts.

You can't invoke Alien to mitigate your argument for why the Doctor can't be a woman. If anything it undermines your argument.

I dont really have an 'argument' per se , just an opinion

Permabanned
Thor, IronMan in comics, Ghostbusters, Starbuck from BG...

But the point I am trying to make is (but everyone can feel free to keep skipping over it) they feel the need to change established heroes from Male to Female rather than get creative and invent new Female Heroes.

There is enough room for both.

Could argue changing the sex of tired old male heroes is a creative decision. :)

This sets a pretty good precedent for the doctor changing sex more often in the future, if they continue churning it out.

Back
Top Bottom