Doctor Who

J.T

J.T

Soldato
So there's 4... only a couple thousand more and you could use that statistic to bolster your argument.

It's all very well saying 'make more female role models' (which they have been doing), but if that 'role model' doesn't make any money...

If we're going to say this is 'appropriation', I'd say good. If that's actually what it's going to take for women to be more culturally accepted as 'hero' characters, lets get it done.

Oh boy, I can feel the hate already xD

LOL, there is no hate in anything I have said or will say it is all just my opinion which you are more than entitled to take or leave as you wish as I am entitled to have one, I wish you much love and peace.

Heroes and shows take off and make money based mostly on the writing storytelling and character development, thinking "well it's not worth trying a new female hero as they don't make money, lets just change a male hero to a woman in a show/comic/etc we know makes money because that's easy" is an awfully sexist (towards Woman) way of looking at it don't you think?

I want to see more Female heroes I look forward to giving the new Doctor a watch and judge the show/her on performance and story, I love the female heroes and leads we already have and I would have loved to have seen a Clara and Me spinoff and look forward to more originality and diversity for all.

Now please read the above without a personal opinion filter on and you will see we are not a million miles apart. :)

Associate
"Driving the TARDIS is very much like making love to a beautiful woman......... a whole lot of noise and not a lot of movement.

“Driving the TARDIS is very much like making love to a beautiful woman, you first need to check your grip on the sonic screwdriver and make sure it’s set to the right frequency; make sure the central column moves up and down smoothly; hold on tight as the ride could get bumpy and if she makes a vvorp vvorp noise then you know you’re pressing all the right buttons.”

Seriously though, with the new Doctor it's the new writing team I'm hoping that will bring in some fresh interesting stories as I feel the show has been lacking in that department for a while. I think the recent "Oxygen" episode was a return to form and the final episode didn't quite deliver as much as the penultimate one. The other stories of the season were not much to write home about IMHO.

I'll certainly be watching the new Doctor, albeit nervously.

Permabanned
LOL, there is no hate in anything I have said or will say it is all just my opinion which you are more than entitled to take or leave as you wish as I am entitled to have one, I wish you much love and peace.

Heroes and shows take off and make money based mostly on the writing storytelling and character development, thinking "well it's not worth trying a new female hero as they don't make money, lets just change a male hero to a woman in a show/comic/etc we know makes money because that's easy" is an awfully sexist (towards Woman) way of looking at it don't you think?

I want to see more Female heroes I look forward to giving the new Doctor a watch and judge the show/her on performance and story, I love the female heroes and leads we already have and I would have loved to have seen a Clara and Me spinoff and look forward to more originality and diversity for all.

Now please read the above without a personal opinion filter on and you will see we are not a million miles apart. :)

Apologies for if I came across as a little heated. It's a VERY complicated issue and I think it's very easy for us to label each other as one thing or another.

I just think there's such a political ****storm surrounding this issue and it's just so silly. As you said, people should judge it on the strength of her performance rather then the fact she's got the 'incorrect' downstairs bits.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Apologies for if I came across as a little heated. It's a VERY complicated issue and I think it's very easy for us to label each other as one thing or another.

I just think there's such a political ****storm surrounding this issue and it's just so silly. As you said, people should judge it on the strength of her performance rather then the fact she's got the 'incorrect' downstairs bits.

Here here! :)

No need to Apologise, I know its easy to get caught up and misinterpret posts, and there are so many people out there who want to turn a discussion/debate into a fight just because... and its hard to tell the tone sometimes in which people post. :)

All the best.

Soldato
I'd have preferred it if they kept it male, and just made a new series with a female lead. As we've seen with the master, changing the gender of a character changes the personality quite considerably, I fear that the Doctor won't really be the doctor anymore.

This is a flawed argument in my experience. Every time they've changed actor the personality has changed considerably. Why should it be any different with a female lead? Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing how it pans out, it's actually the first time that I've not seen the new doctor announcement and gone "oh I don't like them, I miss the old doctor" - it's an exciting opportunity imo. I just hope the writing is good.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
None of them are human. They are all Timelord. Timelord is the name of their species.
Whether a Timelord and a Gallifreian are the exact same thing, or if Timelords live on other planets as well, remains to be seen...

The common headcanon is that their was a strict caste system on Gallifrey, and only the very elite of society were genetically modified and classed as 'Timelords', the rest of the populace were just normal Gallifreyan plebs split into various 'chapters'.

Associate
Except he has been Male since birth as we have seen him as a young boy......

Regenerations aren't a part of the species, they are given by the Time Lords. We don't actually know that boy is the same person as the first doctor - there's a psychic battle in The Brain of Morbius that suggests Hartnell was not the first person to bear the name Doctor ;). It's entirely possible that Doctor has been female before, possibly during Time Lord training?

Thor, IronMan in comics, Ghostbusters, Starbuck from BG...

But the point I am trying to make is (but everyone can feel free to keep skipping over it) they feel the need to change established heroes from Male to Female rather than get creative and invent new Female Heroes.

There is enough room for both.

Thor is a different person. Tony still exists. OG Ghostbusters still happened, they're different people - it's not like it's Petra Venkman and Raylene Stanz. Starbuck is the only real change there, but it's not like BSG was short of men in starring roles :)

Sci-fi wise, the closest match to the doctor would probably be the Dax symbiote/host in DS9 - wildly different people who retained memories of different incarnations - that went man (Curzon) to woman (Jadzia/Ezri) without batting an eyelid.

Soldato
The real question is: shouldn't the 13th Doctor be the evil version? :p
No... but they should be horrendously unlucky, perhaps...!!

The common headcanon is that their was a strict caste system on Gallifrey, and only the very elite of society were genetically modified and classed as 'Timelords', the rest of the populace were just normal Gallifreyan plebs split into various 'chapters'.
Ah, cool.
So by genetically modified, you mean when they make their kids look into the Infinite Schizm thing that drove The Master mad? Is that what makes them Timelords? ISTR something about not every Gallifreian surviving this event, as well?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Anyway I am off to the bookies to bet there is a clasping of boobs in the first episode and some comic gag/ OMG moment.

1st world problems and all that :)

Commissario
No... but they should be horrendously unlucky, perhaps...!!

Ah, cool.
So by genetically modified, you mean when they make their kids look into the Infinite Schizm thing that drove The Master mad? Is that what makes them Timelords? ISTR something about not every Gallifreian surviving this event, as well?
In one of the books it goes into the "house" the Doctor came from (the house itself was sort of sentient and charged with creating the timelords for it's chapter/geneline from memory), I'm not sure if it's still canon or not, but basically there is a device that creates a new timelord when the "house" as a social group has one die for good, and it chooses their genetic makeup sort of at random from a pre selected pool

The book used to be up on one of the BBC subsites going back about 5-10 years (possibly the BBC "Cult" sci-fi area or something) in the run up to the Doctor Who coming back.
A google suggests it might have been the "Lungbarrow" story as that seems to fit the bill from the description and what I remember.

Soldato
Starbuck definitely justified the change in BSG. Excellent move.

I'd support this too if I didn't feel it was the BBC filling the role based on quotas rather than merit. Katherine Parkinson would make a good female doctor IMO.

I haven't really enjoyed the series since Eccleston left tbh. It feels too trivial now.

Caporegime
The new lead has literally said he wanted it to be a woman from the beginning.

Perhaps he has a story arc in mind that fits a woman better than a man? It doesn't have to be a political decision, rather a creative one based on the direction they want it to go.

All the angst in here would be funny if it wasn't the same people complaining about similar things everywhere else.

As others have said it'll be odd, but there's no reason the Dr couldn't be a woman and it'll be in the script and acting that makes it good or bad.

Soldato
Perhaps he has a story arc in mind that fits a woman better than a man?
you have a point

I suppose the likes of Stella McCartney will be quoting for the wardrobe of the doctor and comparisons against May/Merkel will be inevitable.
The dower dress sense of Missy was not very inspirational (but baddies wear black), pity she has gone (has she) so shopping together will be out.
The initial episodes can have some farce as the doctor becomes accustomed to his new body.
BBC quoted a twitter - "the new doctor will get things done much more quickly so episodes will be shorter"

Associate
I was thinking more about how they might approach a female doctor. Hopefully, it won't be the full feminism stuff every five minutes. Instead, they might play on the whole "this is a new body" angle where the doctor isn't used to the female form. Kinda make a joke about her basically still behaving like a male and having to be taught how to be a woman by a female sidekick or something like that. Might be fun approach.

Soldato
Hopefully they take points from WW, no mans land etc could have so easily been a cheesy one liner regarding I'm no man.

I do wonder if we won't get a sidekick for the first series, not sure how it'd work having a young male as the companion with how past companions have worked unless we're now on box ticking and he just happens to be a gay man.

Back
Top Bottom