• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Associate
Just one pin it’s awkward to get cover back over
As for link it’s through imgbox and I don’t have those problems
yunoM.png

Hopefully it's the missing pin is like on this diagram. All you need to do is carefully get the shroud back on.
url

Soldato
So, i bought a CH6 motherboard from the MM here a few months back, it turned up, i gave it a quick visual inspection and left it in the box as i was waiting to see how Coffeelake was before buying a CPU, anyhow last week i bought a Ryzen 1700 CPU, started putting it all together and realised that the guy i bought the mobo from did not send it with the backplate attached :( I emailed him and he's said he's posted it, this was at the beginning of the week, its still not turned up and i was hoping to get the PC built this weekend for my Sons to play with.

So anyone able to recommend where i can get an Asus or an AM4 backplate i can use with the Arctic Freezer 240 AIO i have waiting ready? im fairly certain this is an Asetek cooler right? CH6 has AM3 mounting and AM4 mounting holes, can i just buy an AM3 backplate from the bay or even OCUK? i am loathe to speak to Asus support as i know i will get the run around.

Other option is i just buy a cheap Asus motherboard and take the backplate off that lol.

Soldato
Black Friday is coming up so the temptation to go Ryzen will reappear for me I'm sure. Now we have more data regarding BIOS and RAM support, is there a go-to X370 motherboard right now? I vaguely remember the CH6 and Taichi standing out early on but how about now? Since there barely seems to be any difference between all the boards, if I go Ryzen I want one with good BIOS support, particularly in terms of improving RAM support along with AGESA updates.

Permabanned
Black Friday is coming up so the temptation to go Ryzen will reappear for me I'm sure. Now we have more data regarding BIOS and RAM support, is there a go-to X370 motherboard right now? I vaguely remember the CH6 and Taichi standing out early on but how about now? Since there barely seems to be any difference between all the boards, if I go Ryzen I want one with good BIOS support, particularly in terms of improving RAM support along with AGESA updates.

Still the same.

Associate
I just found a recent video showing Threadripper gaming performance compared to the i9 7900x's while using Pascal Titan X SLI. :(

Reckon it's garbage. The video that is, not SLI on TR, my machine stomps some of those games like RotTR, I have much higher frames than shown and I have slower RAM and only 1080Tis, SLI scaling and DX12 on this is probably one of the best titles for it.

Whilst there is a bottle neck at 1080p for sure, you are not using SLI for 1080p

To be fair I'd probably have to test in the same places to be sure but looks a little off, I suspect distributed mode vs local difference.

The only game I have seen a boost in distributed modes is Assassins Creed Origins but for me at least with a 1900x, don't use game mode as a rule, use the full chip with local mode, 4C/8T is not enough. This Ass. Origins game doesn't like SLI either which is a shame as a single card struggles to do 60fps maxxed out @4k.

Last edited:
Associate
If AMD didn't make it so hard to get performance out of these things in the first place, it wouldn't be such a problem, of course a 4.1Ghz chip against a 4.7 Ghz is going to be showing a deficit on a pure clockspeed basis never mind the fact that Ryzen isn't quite a strong but the modes side of things need to be fixed up on TR and be able to be changed on the fly, perhaps a driver akin to the graphics side of things where you can set profiles per title.

Associate
I just found a recent video showing Threadripper gaming performance compared to the i9 7900x's while using Pascal Titan X SLI. :(

As expected, getting Threadripper for gaming is very questionable when it's more or less a 1800X for most games. You get Threadripper for multithreaded workloads or if you need one of the TR4 platform features.

Soldato
Got my bundle back after a week with OCUK. My original CPU was not up to the task for what the bundle required.

My new one seems much better although I did have a few cold boot issues initially.

I am now running a "custom" config loaded by OCUK (custom as in the sense it is different to the one provided specifically for the bundle) and so far so good. My temps with my Kuhler 620 seem really good. Holding at around mid-high 50's after half an hour of the AIDA64 stress test. Voltage is still a little high for my liking (set at 1.4 in bios with aggressive LLC) but for now I am going to leave it.

Cinebench gave me a 1314 score which is better than what I was getting by a few points.

Still unsure if I am going to stick with it or move back to Intel.

Permabanned
So, i bought a CH6 motherboard from the MM here a few months back, it turned up, i gave it a quick visual inspection and left it in the box as i was waiting to see how Coffeelake was before buying a CPU, anyhow last week i bought a Ryzen 1700 CPU, started putting it all together and realised that the guy i bought the mobo from did not send it with the backplate attached :( I emailed him and he's said he's posted it, this was at the beginning of the week, its still not turned up and i was hoping to get the PC built this weekend for my Sons to play with.

So anyone able to recommend where i can get an Asus or an AM4 backplate i can use with the Arctic Freezer 240 AIO i have waiting ready? im fairly certain this is an Asetek cooler right? CH6 has AM3 mounting and AM4 mounting holes, can i just buy an AM3 backplate from the bay or even OCUK? i am loathe to speak to Asus support as i know i will get the run around.

Other option is i just buy a cheap Asus motherboard and take the backplate off that lol.

Can you just buy a backplate somewhere? Does the Arctic Freezer not have its own mounting kit?

Permabanned
Been looking for an AM4 backplate, none for sale anywhere :( Arctic only ship out the retention ring and screw as it uses the AM4 backplate.

Not sure but this kit, the left rectangular piece, looks similar to the standard AM4 backplate.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=nm-am4-l9al9i

unsure about the screws, those should be with your cooler mount I think

With this being the standard one

1euHHiR.jpg

I will check what I have at home, had a couple of am4 boards and various mounting kits, may have something spare.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom