• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Man of Honour
Just goes to show how poorly optimised Premier is, you would think Adobe would be trying to make there software faster by embracing new tech like heavily multicored processors.

Pretty much, poor software levelling the playing field I think. People say it has an intel bias but i'm not convinced it's really much better on that side of the fence either. I think it's fair to say though that no single company seems to run away with massive performance gains over the other in the adobe suite. Subtle differences here and there but overall broadly comparable. where one does win out it's generally by single digits percentage wise so probably not worth splitting hairs over.

Soldato
Thanks, chaps. :)

Bloody hell...just noticed the drop in the price of the 1920X! Twelve cores for £390! :eek:

True you can buy from OCUK the 1920X, motherboard, 16gb quad channel RAM 3000Mhz (4 dimm package) for almost the price of the 7900X right now.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £839.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Also the price of the 1920X tonight is between £350 and £390 in UK which might seem "expensive" if you consider that the price in US is $249!!!!

To put in perspective the Intel pricing are,
7800X & 8700K @ £330
7820X @ £430
7900X @ £830.
7920X @ £900

Last edited:
Associate
2700X is probably a better buy than a 1920X right now if you don't want to deal with the NUMA issues.

Of the new Threadrippers, the 2950X with that 4.4Ghz boost looks like a very interesting SKU and is really well priced to boot.

Soldato
2700X is probably a better buy than a 1920X right now if you don't want to deal with the NUMA issues.

Of the new Threadrippers, the 2950X with that 4.4Ghz boost looks like a very interesting SKU and is really well priced to boot.

Yup, 2950x looks like the real sweet spot.

I mainly game, but some times I have heavy VM duties for work (technical PoCs) that my Surface clearly can't handle, so this would be nice to fall back on to for those short periods.

Know nothing about this platform so mobo and ram recommendations welcome.

I have a sound blaster ae-5, so would like a mobo that focuses elsewhere as won't need any onboard sound.

Also what RAM kits?

Soldato
I can certainly think of better CPU's to be gaming on.
If its for work too, then fair enough. But a gaming only rig? Such a waste.

Same could be said for people who own a 1080ti and game at 1920*1080 or just play Fortnite, sure there's plenty of them too :p

My 1700 non X has been great for my mix of work and gaming, kind of sorry I didn't plump for a 19xx TR now.

If everyone towed the line then Intel would not be releasing 4+ cores on desktop, let along 8 or even 6 in mobile

Soldato
Also what RAM kits?

I would be really interested in this too as I'm considering a 2950x but would like to utilise RAM that I already have. I have a choice between:

- Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB)

- Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit

I'm thinking the 8 Pack gear is faster but it's dual channel?

Associate
I have very nearly... very very nearly clicked the go button on that cheep cheep cheep 12 core...
I hope it goes sold out or something soon, i am struggling to keep away from it. :p

Associate
I would be really interested in this too as I'm considering a 2950x but would like to utilise RAM that I already have. I have a choice between:

- Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB)

- Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit

I'm thinking the 8 Pack gear is faster but it's dual channel?

Just get 2 kits of the "8 Pack Edition" and all good to go for quad channel

Soldato
Same could be said for people who own a 1080ti and game at 1920*1080 or just play Fortnite, sure there's plenty of them too :p

My 1700 non X has been great for my mix of work and gaming, kind of sorry I didn't plump for a 19xx TR now.

If everyone towed the line then Intel would not be releasing 4+ cores on desktop, let along 8 or even 6 in mobile

Have you seen the latest monster hunter benchmarks? You need a 1080ti to hit 60fps lol.

Associate
Almost bit on the 1950 on release and I think the 2950x is finally going to be an upgrade from my 3930k. Some more cores for streaming and video editing would be great.

Soldato
Don't tell people to combine memory kits.

Depends what "mixing" ram means. Given how Threadripper is working, with each chip having access to it's own ram banks, assuming someone buys two identical dual channel kits (and i mean IDENTICAL in brand, speed, even manufacturing day) I wont be surprised to be non issue, compared to intel where the memory is more sensitive because is shared as whole across the CPU.

Soldato
Have you seen the latest monster hunter benchmarks? You need a 1080ti to hit 60fps lol.

Haven't because I have no interest in that game. I would argue that's a problem with that game but that's for another thread.

To conclude my input, Thread Ripper is an awesome CPU for workstation use that can game almost as well as the "vastly superior" low core count Intel alternative while offering much, much higher utility to those that can leverage those cores, at a much, much lower TCO than anything Intel can sell you. We're all looking forward to seeing how much better TR2 is ;)

Back
Top Bottom