Pimax 8k is live

Soldato
Is that effectively reducing the gpu load to help with performance? can't be a bad thing rather than expecting everyone to buy a 1080Ti...seems sensible

Am I right in thinking (I think one of the reviews mentioned it) the overlapped screens do 140 fov the lenses do the rest anyway?

the number of pixels is the same, but packing them in to a smaller perceived area increases the pixels per degree so the smaller image would be clearer, but you would be back to having black borders (though still much better than the rift/vive)

Permabanned
Apologies for cutting the rest of your post but to focus on the above, do you apply the same criteria to the Rift or Vive? Both HMDs are totally incapable of maintaining 90Hz in most games using RX 480 or GTX1060. Does this make Rift and Vive of questionable quality?

I will be upfront and state I hated Rift CV1 IQ problems so much I have not once missed it once since it broke. I promised myself I would not invest in VR until these IQ issues were addressed. Pimax 8K (and to a lesser extent the 5K) are at least going to address most of these problems.

Pima8K has a sharper image and less SDE than the 5K according to testers of both. Having said that I believe the 5K was initially going to have OLED but it is now getting the same CLPL tech as the 8K.

Completely agree regarding the 480 / 1060. I find it very frustrating that the graphic detail in games is so poor and this appears to be the reason. I feel the minimum recommendations have held VR back. I wouldn't be so impressed with the Rift/Vive if I was using a 480 / 1060.

I don't mind the CV1's image (though I do run it with high super sampling with a 1080Ti) as long as the game I am playing is good, although I don't deny a larger FOV is very desirable. I don't look for the SDE and bizarrely, quite enjoy the god rays as they exaggerate the contrast suggesting the screen is much brighter than it actually is.

Associate
Just got my questionnaire from Pimax, I went for the single base station add on, but base stations won't ship until April at the earliest, whereas HMD will ship in Jan. That wasn't made clear when I pledged, but maybe an opportunity to delay shipping 3 months in case any first batch issues appear in January? Tempted to plump for April to reduce the risk a bit. Anybody else waiting until April?

Soldato
I pledged for the X and no accessories (have a vive already - but might get knuckles controllers later), so i opted for the loan 8k which i will have to ship back when my X is ready, but my 8k will be coming January-ish

Soldato
I completed my survey for a standard 8K HMD only pack. Because the base stations and controllers were due to ship at a later date I opted to get me own single Vive Lighthouse on ebay. I have no need or requirement for any controllers as I will be sitting and simming only.

Associate
I went for the full pack with the 2 base stations and controllers. I chose it have my HMD delivered as soon as it’s available am then th rest to follow.

I’ll be back in the UK in March for a couple of weeks, so annoyingly if the April delivery estimate holds true I’ll have to wait until the following visit home in July to get my hands on the extras.

But I guess I could pick up a second hand Vive base station for tracking. I’ll only be using it seated in all likelihood anyway as with my Rift.

Associate
With my 8K X order, I opted to have them ship me a regular 8K and then get the 8K X when it releases. But I didn't know that the lighthouses and controllers weren't coming out until much later. Where/when did they put that information out?

If I knew that I would have just bought Vive controllers and lighthouses so that I could use the 8K on day one. Now I'll be stuck with two sets of lighthouses and controller costs if I want to use the 8K when I get it? Geez this kickstarter was sloppy.

Associate
I missed the bit about the controllers and base stations coming out later too, otherwise I would have just got a second hand vive base station...I'm not in any rush, April gives them chance to sort out any horrible flaws that could appear in the first production units :)

Soldato
I'm not surprised, its is kickstarter, I would much rather they release a good product than something thats still effectively a work in progress.

People will still lose their **** over it though.

edit; sorry where did you read it? just checking kickstarter and their forum is doesn't mention prototype in Jan

Last edited:
Associate
It's a comment from them on the kickstarter discussion/comments

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset/posts/2051849

Pimax 8K VR Creator about 8 hours ago
The quality comes first.
We are about to arrange production means, we start to review the demands for headsets, controllers, modules etc. and contact our partners, suppliers and the factory to prepare materials and reserve production capacity.
We will demo the new prototype at CES 2018 on Jan 9 -12 for feedback. booth#21600, south hall, welcome to stop by!

Soldato
Realistically January is/was always optimistic and I have expected March at the earliest since I read about the Kickstarter. The problem is going to be that so many read January for HMD delivery and they think Pimax are in breach of some legal contract if they don't ship them for January.

Associate
I already opted for April delivery because I added on a base station. Looks like that might be June/July depending on how quickly they get production up to speed. I just want them to get it right, the Rift will keep me going until then anyway.

Soldato
We should be getting some proper news tomorrow, I’m sure I read the NDA lifts today. I’ve not had my own headset, if this is a lot better than the first gen VR gear, then I might buy one for sim racing instead of 3 monitors.

Edit. And here’s the first, 9 minutes ago. Not great news, distortion on the lenses at the higher FOV settings, plus It looks like not even a 1080ti is good enough to drive modern games, only 45fps in Project cars 2 with lowest setting is a no thanks from me.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for posting. We definitely need to see wider adoption of multi GPU technology for VR headsets in order to drive this next gen properly.

I did some quick calcs and driving my Rift with 1.5 supersampling, which I can use in most games, my PC is having to render 52% of the pixels needed for these Pimax headsets. This is with a GTX1080. If I could slap another one in I'd be there!

Edit: my calculations were out the first time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom