• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
But the point of the comparison is to outline the difference % between the two products in which case the absolute numbers that are being compared are not relevant. In which case, it makes no sense to use the competitor's product.

The problem AMD have is if they had use an AMD CPU some idiots would have said "Well it's CPU limited! If you had a better CPU the 2080 might pull ahead".

Permabanned
The problem AMD have is if they had use an AMD CPU some idiots would have said "Well it's CPU limited! If you had a better CPU the 2080 might pull ahead".

But right now, we are saying that it is CPU limited because of the quad-core i7 7700K lol

Soldato
Of course AMD will be working on something regards ray tracing, but how far away any official announcement is and if anything even comes of it at all remains to be seen. It won't be anytime soon that's for sure. Clearly from Su's comments, she recognises (unlike Nvidia) that just putting out a card capable of ray tracing isn't enough. There needs to be a viable ecosystem in order for it to actually offer something tangible for gamers. She's right of course, but in the meantime there is little doubt Nvidia will be using their muscle and influence to get devs on board with RTX. By the time AMD have something themselves, RTX may have gained a much stronger foothold than it does today, and we will almost certainly have next gen RTX cards by the time AMD have anything. I hope AMD do bring something significant to this table though... competition is obviously good for all of us.

What, you mean like they did with TrueAudio that was used in what, like, 2 games?

Caporegime
Just seen these. Def made the right choice for my usage.

Steam-VRBenchmark-Graph.jpg

VRMark-Graph.jpg

Yup, knew they'd gotten a boost in VR. Must absolutely bury the Vega64 in certain stuff!!!

Associate
They dont have any leftover Vega20 cores.

You seem to be afgreeing with me that Navi will be announced later. This means Navi is not close to being ready yet, probably due to the process.

If you think Navi for PC is not released unitl next year then this makes a very long wait with AMD having nothing to show. AMD's market share might become precariously low by that point, 10%?
How exactly do you know at this launch is not just getting rid of defunct instinct dies? That's what it looks like to me. Navi will likely come to the PS5 this Christmas, and it's highly probable that the worst Navi dies will be married to lower end Ryzen 3 Apus before the PS5 launch. The same complete binned Navi dies will just be put into consumer cards at the beginning of next year. Navi has to be prioritized for a console ramp up. No doubt the next Xbox will be using the same or slightly larger version Navi the following year. What is the point of chasing a PC market that doesn't buy your graphics cards even when they are better? AMD is right to leave the pc market to Nvidia we deserve overpriced Nvidia cards. Better to chase CPU sales and churn out cheep to produce graphics silicon that can slot into and compete lower into Nvidias product stack. At larger profit margins due to Nvidia price gouging. And let Intel chase Nvidia for high end GPUs to no avail .

Caporegime
How exactly do you know at this launch is not just getting rid of defunct instinct dies? That's what it looks like to me. Navi will likely come to the PS5 this Christmas, and it's highly probable that the worst Navi dies will be married to lower end Ryzen 3 Apus before the PS5 launch. The same complete binned Navi dies will just be put into consumer cards at the beginning of next year. Navi has to be prioritized for a console ramp up. No doubt the next Xbox will be using the same or slightly larger version Navi the following year. What is the point of chasing a PC market that doesn't buy your graphics cards even when they are better? AMD is right to leave the pc market to Nvidia we deserve overpriced Nvidia cards. Better to chase CPU sales and churn out cheep to produce graphics silicon that can slot into and compete lower into Nvidias product stack. At larger profit margins due to Nvidia price gouging. And let Intel chase Nvidia for high end GPUs to no avail .

I think you got me confused,no see my wording you quoted is not clear.

As soon as I saw the Vega7 announcement I was the first to state this was a salavage part from defunct dies, long before any news site suggested that.

My statement above is that AMD is not producing excess Vega20 stock that they can't sell as Instinct. Quite the opposite, merely yields of fully functional dies are low enough that there are enough defunct chips to have a small supply of Vega7. But since the economics only work out because of this a salvaged part, supply will mostly be dictated by vega20 production and yields. Eventually AMD might have to sacrifice fully working chips if vega20 demand drops and yields improve. Although maybe AMD would release a vega8 with an extra 5-10% performance.

In the meantime expect supply to be low so prices will be gouged and end up much more than the RTX2080

Soldato
If a Vega 20 die can't make the cut for a MI60 with full 64 CUs, it gets salvaged as a 60 CU MI50, correct? But that salvaged package is now also used for Radeon 7?

Are yields for a full 64 CU die so low AMD think they'll have more MI50s than they could sell?
Is demand for a full MI60 so high AMD don't think they could sell the 60 CU dies as MI50?

Soldato
If a Vega 20 die can't make the cut for a MI60 with full 64 CUs, it gets salvaged as a 60 CU MI50, correct? But that salvaged package is now also used for Radeon 7?

Are yields for a full 64 CU die so low AMD think they'll have more MI50s than they could sell?
Is demand for a full MI60 so high AMD don't think they could sell the 60 CU dies as MI50?

I believe it is more about AMD showing they are still relevant in the gaming space. They couldn't price it any lower and it is not aimed at mainstream. So AMD know it will sell at the prices they have set. I mean if people are paying the exotrionate prices for 20x0 then they will pay the same for Radeon VII.

Regardless of what some will try to argue, it is a viable alternative to a 2080.

Soldato
I believe it is more about AMD showing they are still relevant in the gaming space.

My thought process though is how are they able to repurpose MI50 cards to do it. That's a potentially big chunk of profit lost for a short-term PR stunt. And I'd also question if Radeon 7 is the best example of being "still relevant" given it's just a bigger version of RX Vega, with all the failings that come with it.

Associate

Seems pretty likely that yields will be ***** as this is the biggest 7nm chip TSMC (announced or rumored) will be fabbing in the near future. Makes sense they'll be getting lots of defects until the process is refined.
On that, it's no secret that Zen2 dies are tiny to make them as cost effective as possible on this brand new and expensive node.

Cloud based compute clients want absolute maximum density, so it makes perfect sense the MI60 has the highest demand. It's also likely that MI50 are also lower binned chips, so you won't get the same efficiency which is another desirable.

Soldato
So let me interject with a positive question to all and @overclockers
When is the projected or "usual" pre order date when things like this get announced ?
On sale on the 7th February right?

And another question, what do you guys think is the chances of this VII having a similar enough PCB that my current vega reference water block will just fit it?

Soldato
So let me interject with a positive question to all and @overclockers
When is the projected or "usual" pre order date when things like this get announced ?
On sale on the 7th February right?

And another question, what do you guys think is the chances of this VII having a similar enough PCB that my current vega reference water block will just fit it?

Is there even time for pre-orders? @Gibbo would need to be talking to AMD right now about stock and supply if he was going to commit to anything. It's possible.

And I'd wager the Radeon Instinct PCB is significantly different to RX Vega; after all Radeon 7 is a MI50 Instinct card with a few tweaks.

Soldato
Is there even time for pre-orders? @Gibbo would need to be talking to AMD right now about stock and supply if he was going to commit to anything. It's possible.

And I'd wager the Radeon Instinct PCB is significantly different to RX Vega; after all Radeon 7 is a MI50 Instinct card with a few tweaks.
The only 1 picture i found of the instincts PCB looks identical to a vega reference, I guess there is now way of knowing unless someone that gets a review one cares about looking into that.

@Gibbo I want to pre order one , do you have a date?

Caporegime
I suppose the only real good thing about this card,is Navi will be a second generation 7NM GPU for AMD,and hopefully their experience with 7NM will help them tweak the Navi based GPUs better.

That was always going to be the case, Vega7 dies were being sold months ago As vega20

Back
Top Bottom