• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Today I got an email from OCUK telling me they can't find anything wrong with my VII which is a bit odd, Since I sent the VII in to OCUK I've had my RX 480 back in my PC & I've had no issues so I'm hoping I'll get the VII back & also see no issues, If so I can put it down to being a one off oddity, If it still does it I'll be gutted as although I originally sent back for a refund I contacted them & said I'd rather wait for a replacement thinking they'd see the same issue I was.

That definitely looks like there is something wrong with the I/O i.e. not driver or memory related. Was it doing this in every game?

Associate
Any idea why I'm not getting the same clock I set in Wattman? Maximum I'm getting is 1931MHz, reported by Wattman and HWiNFO. HMB2 reports 1200MHz fine.

Is to 1990Mhz 1200mV, runs stable, no artifacts. TJ tops once at 95C, but sits around 87-89C 95% of the time while running FStrike Extreme.

EDIT - Additional information,

I've done washer mod with M2 nylon whashers and the info above is after it. Before I was not able to go further than 1965MHz 1150mV without a artifact here or there, and TJ was reaching 106C. In fact when breaking 100C is when it starts to produce artifacts. I had same behavior in the clock, reaching around 1925MHz. I run games at 1800MHz/970mV, and I got some rare peak at 1800MHz, most of the time runs at 1175MHz.

EDIT 2 - Some power consumption numbers

Idle total tower consumption 91W. Just GPU reported by GPUZ and HWiNFO 18-19W.

Stock
1800MHz/1082mV
-20=369W 296-304fps
0=432W 309-323fps
+20=470W 316-329fps

UV
1800MHz/970mV
-20 = 375W 311-325FPS
0 = 389W 322-337FPS
+20 = 402W 322-336FPS

Associate
Any idea why I'm not getting the same clock I set in Wattman? Maximum I'm getting is 1931MHz, reported by Wattman and HWiNFO. HMB2 reports 1200MHz fine.

Is to 1990Mhz 1200mV, runs stable, no artifacts. TJ tops once at 95C, but sits around 87-89C 95% of the time while running FStrike Extreme.

EDIT - Additional information,

I've done washer mod with M2 nylon whashers and the info above is after it. Before I was not able to go further than 1965MHz 1150mV without a artifact here or there, and TJ was reaching 106C. In fact when breaking 100C is when it starts to produce artifacts. I had same behavior in the clock, reaching around 1925MHz. I run games at 1800MHz/970mV, and I got some rare peak at 1800MHz, most of the time runs at 1175MHz.

EDIT 2 - Some power consumption numbers

Idle total tower consumption 91W. Just GPU reported by GPUZ and HWiNFO 18-19W.

Stock
1800MHz/1082mV
-20=369W 296-304fps
0=432W 309-323fps
+20=470W 316-329fps

UV
1800MHz/970mV
-20 = 375W 311-325FPS
0 = 389W 322-337FPS
+20 = 402W 322-336FPS

I am not convinced by the washer mod, I think just undoing the 4 screws and doing them up in a cross pattern gives the same result, by using washers you are removing heatsink pressure to the core. I have a feeling the X bracket on back of PCB from the factory are just tightened up unevenly.

Associate
I am not convinced by the washer mod, I think just undoing the 4 screws and doing them up in a cross pattern gives the same result, by using washers you are removing heatsink pressure to the core. I have a feeling the X bracket on back of PCB from the factory are just tightened up unevenly.
Before putting the washers I've tried to tighten all of them and just one was not completely screwed down. I don't know what to think, but after the temp drop I was able to at least set a 1965+ clock and finish multiple runs in FSExtreme, thing that was not always possible before it.

Associate
Before putting the washers I've tried to tighten all of them and just one was not completely screwed down. I don't know what to think, but after the temp drop I was able to at least set a 1965+ clock and finish multiple runs in FSExtreme, thing that was not always possible before it.

I think instead of washers just undo the 4 screws and tighten up a turn each screw in a criss cross pattern would have the same effect. just tightening down one screw at a time will not allow the heatsink to sit flat on the core.

Associate
I think instead of washers just undo the 4 screws and tighten up a turn each screw in a criss cross pattern would have the same effect. just tightening down one screw at a time will not allow the heatsink to sit flat on the core.

Well, let's see. I don't like the idea of the extra pressure on the gpu cause of the washers. I'd never know if is too much or not, even if the numbers where better. I just removed them, put all back together, screwing one by one and when back from work I'll test and report here. But, working like before or not, I still have this thing of the card not reaching max clock most of the time, just some peaks with luck.

Permabanned
Try another high quality power supply with it if you still get issues. All PSU's, regardless of quality, can become faulty, it's worth ruling out. I'd also make sure you're using two separate 8pins from your PSU, fresh install of windows (or DDU in safemode at the least).

I bought a new psu for my Vega 64 & it's been faultless, Seasonic Prime Platinum 860 watt.

That definitely looks like there is something wrong with the I/O i.e. not driver or memory related. Was it doing this in every game?

This and similar issues.

Good shout - I assume Nash was using DP but worth checking what ports OCUK tested with, I assume they'd test both DP & HDMI?

Yep DP, I bought one of the Club3d dp cables a month or so ago.

Where are the after market coolers???

I'm pretty sure we were told there wouldn't be any, everything I've heard about non-reference cards since then has been rumour.

Associate
Hi, Did it improve the visual quality much? I'm presuming that's what it does.
Ye, its the data rate so the amount of data the file has. The worst thing about recording at a nice high bitrates is if you where to update to YouTube they heavily reduced the quality. I've used google drive in the past to share the file at original recorded quality.
So if you where to host on YouTube ect, I'd maybe leave it at 30mbps.

Back
Top Bottom