• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
You think because AMD launched the 290X with a crap cooler it forever tarnished the card, even tho the card's were pretty good with AIB coolers?

It did. Google even auto-completed 290x with 290x hair dryer :D

What about the endless memes?

I had one but with a dwood bracket and 120mm AIO bolted to it. Good card.

Permabanned
VKHR - An AMD-Backed Open-Source Hair Renderer In Vulkan

image.php

I like AMD's TressFX much better:

t8b13d.jpg

You're being facetious right?
You've only got to look at launch day reviews of the 290x.

And before that AMD pulled off a shambolic pre order tactic on them I've never seen since or before.

Performance was great, but the heat and noise wasn't if you wanted that performance.

And then Nvidia launched the 780ti before AIB cards IIRC.

And then it took AMD far far too long to move on from the 290X and when they did it was second best.

I owned and set up a few 290 and 290x systems, because they were brilliant performance and price though.

I think the 290X and 290 did do well. But there was no follow up performance wise that offered what the 290X did compared to the competition after that.

Well, AMD simultaneously launched R9 Fury X and R9 390X in June 2015 to combat GTX 980 and GTX 980 Ti and they successfully managed to do so:

11m8h07.png

Caporegime
This is the plague of the modern times, unfortunately. What happens to people?! :(

You get it on all sides.

On a side note HUB made a video a couple of days ago, one he wouldn't normally make but it was so prevalent he decided to address it, a lot of people responded to his '1600 vs 7600K two years on' video said it was a paid AMD video or that he was shilling for AMD because in the video the 1600 was clearly "the better gaming CPU" i mean he predicted this would happen two years ago, its also why i made that choice as i could see it already in my 4690K, to me it just goes to show how stupid people can be, as he pointed out Ryzen was not Bulldozer and had vastly more CPU resources than the 7600K, it was almost inevitable to happen with subsequent games.

Soldato
NV_NAVI10_P_A0 = 1,

NV_NAVI12_P_A0 = 10,

NV_NAVI14_M_A0 = 20,

NV_NAVI21_P_A0 = 40,

NV_NAVI10_LITE_P_A0 = 0x80,

NV_NAVI10_LITE_P_B0 = 0x81,

NV_NAVI12_LITE_P_A0 = 0x82,

NV_NAVI21_LITE_P_A0 = 0x90,

NV_UNKNOWN = 0xFF

Other Navi GPUs.

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1140818866316013568

LITE are low power for consoles etc.
M is mobile
P performance.

10/20/40 are the CUs.

And just because lets speculate, NV_NAVI21_LITE_P_A0 = Spectre? :confused:

Permabanned
You get it on all sides.

On a side note HUB made a video a couple of days ago, one he wouldn't normally make but it was so prevalent he decided to address it, a lot of people responded to his '1600 vs 7600K two years on' video said it was a paid AMD video or that he was shilling for AMD because in the video the 1600 was clearly "the better gaming CPU" i mean he predicted this would happen two years ago, its also why i made that choice as i could see it already in my 4690K, to me it just goes to show how stupid people can be, as he pointed out Ryzen was not Bulldozer and had vastly more CPU resources than the 7600K, it was almost inevitable to happen with subsequent games.

How can it be AMD-sponsored when a simple quad-core without HT isn't good enough anymore?! :confused:

Caporegime
Its quite simple guys, If by undercutting nVidia AMD sold more GPU's than nVidia they would sell cheaper with lower margins, they've tried that for a decade + to try and gain market share and all the while nVidia were the ones actually gaining market share often with more expensive slower cards.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome every time.
The real issue is that AMD have had an inferior architecture for a decade. And still do.

You can't blame punters for seeing what's in front of them, and not touching it with a 10' pole.

Or you can, but then everyone else gets to see your AMD campaign medals proudly pinned to your bosom.

Caporegime
All I was saying is that we all recognise nVidia has had the superior architecture for a long, long time now. So why blame punters for not buying AMD?

AMD in the graphics space have been the architects of their own downfall. They've also many times shot themselves in the foot with their marketing. We all know this.

So why blame punters for acting rationally and avoiding AMD GPUs?

Associate
The vast, vast majority aren't buying those...

True, but when you set the upper limits so high, then everything else moves up a notch. When something is normalised, then perceptions change.

I remember buying the GeForce 9800 GX2 back in '08, which was retailing at around £435 (around £570 today if you account for inflation), and if I remember correctly it was one of the fastest cards on the market at that time. Fast forward 11 years, and the fastest card on the market today will set you back close to £1,000 or higher!

Soldato
All I was saying is that we all recognise nVidia has had the superior architecture for a long, long time now. So why blame punters for not buying AMD?

AMD in the graphics space have been the architects of their own downfall. They've also many times shot themselves in the foot with their marketing. We all know this.

So why blame punters for acting rationally and avoiding AMD GPUs?

What are you smoking? AMD has competitive cards and prices on anything except the halo product.
Or you want people buy more GTX1650?

Caporegime
What are you smoking? AMD has competitive cards and prices on anything except the halo product.
Or you want people buy more GTX1650?
I said AMD had the inferior architecture for a long time. And still do.

Are you disputing that?

Would you like to claim that AMD's architecture is at least on terms with nVidia's architecture? Yes?

Soldato
I said AMD had the inferior architecture for a long time. And still do.

Are you disputing that?

Would you like to claim that AMD's architecture is at least on terms with nVidia's architecture? Yes?

Nvidia has superior architecture on what? DX11 only?
How about DX12, Async Compute and Vulcan? Even TimeSpy has special pipeline optimization to run on Nvidia cards without showing poor performance. Something that cannot be hidden in games even today with Turing. Have you seen the abysmal performance of the 2080Ti in Vulcan games?
That's the superior architecture? Cutting corners like Intel does, albeit the latter allowing security holes because is CPU?

Soldato
Nvidia has superior architecture on what? DX11 only?
How about DX12, Async Compute and Vulcan? Even TimeSpy has special pipeline optimization to run on Nvidia cards without showing poor performance. Something that cannot be hidden in games even today with Turing. Have you seen the abysmal performance of the 2080Ti in Vulcan games?
That's the superior architecture? Cutting corners like Intel does, albeit the latter allowing security holes because is CPU?
mmmm, whats that standard DX12 benchmark? Ah yes Timespy, which cards dominate? 'special optimisation' more like Panos clutching at straws again... :p

Back
Top Bottom