• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Not long now for reviews, and I intend on getting some PCIe 4 drives also, since their announced pricing is very good on those.

I just remember my nforce board sounding like a banshee, and I’m quite sensitive. No one else can hear my GPUs whine, but it cuts through my ears without headphones on.

Hoping we get some decent audio profile tests under load,a nd with multiple drives added.

Just replicate the coil whine frequency at 140dB for 1 minute and kill the sound forever, easy.

Associate
Not long now for reviews, and I intend on getting some PCIe 4 drives also, since their announced pricing is very good on those.

I just remember my nforce board sounding like a banshee, and I’m quite sensitive. No one else can hear my GPUs whine, but it cuts through my ears without headphones on.

Hoping we get some decent audio profile tests under load,a nd with multiple drives added.

I thought it sounded like you'd never hear it in a case til ~30% duty. Which prob provides sufficient airflow to keep temps in check looking at the fan size specc'd.

if you don't like your GPU fans, get a kraken G12 and put an AIO on it. never looked back.

Soldato
I was wondering if Intel would find a dodgy way to try and undermine the Zen 2 release.
No doubt Intel's software developer "support" team is already writing code to freely give to software developers, which disables extensions, adds some extra do nothing loops etc. when it detects AMD CPU.
Also equally sure Intel is offering reviewers "helpfull" guides how to test with no Windows security patches for Intel and no Windows scheduler fixing patch for Ryzen.

No reason to think Intel isn't using their old dirty tricks, when they've never been properly punished even from breaking laws.

Soldato
I thought it sounded like you'd never hear it in a case til ~30% duty. Which prob provides sufficient airflow to keep temps in check looking at the fan size specc'd.

if you don't like your GPU fans, get a kraken G12 and put an AIO on it. never looked back.

Never mentioned the GPU fans, the loudest thing in my system is the mechanical drive the GPU coilwhine under certain loads.

Last thing I want a screaming little fan constantly underload.
Here's hoping they really are quiet, and at worst a slight hum. Although who knows, darn NDAs!!

Soldato
NDA's are bull. It's ridiculous all these professional reviewers and testers already have these chips and will have benchmarked them and yet we can't here results until after the CPUs go on sale. so Stupid.
First of all it would be impossible to guarantee every reviewer getting test products at same.
So that would make starting positions unfair.

Also sites compete to get more visitors and viewers for ads.
So no doubt there would be sites publishing shoddily done reviews before others just to get those extra visitors.
That would also risk risk erroneous results from too hurried testing.

Associate
So you suggest i get the Ryzen 7 3700x over the 5 3600x. Is the difference gonna be that much better for gaming ? The price difference currently seems to be £50 so i dont mind streching to that but i dont wanna spend anymore than £280 on a cpu. Was looking closer to £230 but i can strech it as im gonna need a new motherboard, ram and i think i might need a new cooler as im not sure my corsair H100i will be compatible with the new motherboards

Yes, I would suggest the 3700X to you. You're moving from a Pentium, correct? That will be a night and day difference for yourself.

As for gaming, it depends on the games you want to play. However, since the 3700X has all around higher clocks and a larger cache, there's no reason to believe that it will be slower.

Then, we are not talking about SunnyCove https://forums.evga.com/Intel-10nm-...equot-CPU-Cores-with-Gen11-iGPU-m2896749.aspx , but about the new ground-up architecture that has been rumoured to remove the backwards compatibility with the legacy X86 instruction set, in order to free space up for much larger performance improvements - OceanCove might it be.

That one slide pretty much makes my prediction plausible. It was an increase in the L2 cache that gave Ryzen its supersonic performance in the benchmark, before it was patched.

I don't know enough about AMD chips but if 1.308v a lot or no for that level of OC?

1.308 V is good and definitely lower, compared to the existing chips. 4.20 GHz on first-generation Ryzen would typically require north of 1.45 V, while second-generation allowed those clocks at slightly lower voltages, and higher clocks to be reached with higher voltages.

Now im a bit stuck at knowing which way to go, if its true that the Ryzen 5 2600 is going to drop to to less than £100 do i get a the Ryzen 5 2600 and a cheap video card or just get the APU as planned.

Surely the Ryzen 5 2600 is going to be much more powerfull than the 2400g and with me being a none game player i dont need powerfull graphics

The 2600 should provide a sizable improvement for your non-gaming tasks. Somewhere in the order of 50%, assuming you can make use of all 12 threads. I guess it depends on your software stack.

Then you obviously know much more about Zen2 than AMD do themselves :eek: ?
Oh hang on, " i don't think there is any scaling"..........................AMD obviously do, just for the record the 3950x will have 2 cherry picked CCX's that neither you or i know what they are capable of yet. One thing is for sure though, it will be a much better SKU than all the SKU's below it. If by your own analysis the 3800x will match the 9900k, then the 3950x will blow it out of the water.

For productivity, sure. For gaming, not so much. A slightly higher clock frequency and double the cache may provide an improvement, but with the latency penalty, it will be within margin of error.

Source? Pretty sure they said it was stock, i.e. maximum boost is 4.2 GHz so all core boost is likely around 4.0 GHz.

Article states, but for now the overclock does not work on the chosen motherboard.
You can see the Cinebench R15 scores are the same in the article at stock at over 1500 points, would be interesting to see all cores at 4.2Ghz. serious power there for £200.

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2019/06/amd-ryzen-5-3600-x470-review/#benchmarks

With Precision Boost 2, the all-core boost has the ability to be identical to the single-core boost. Whether or not it is, depends on the system configuration and environmental factors, but that's how it works.

CPUZ reports the highest single core frequency.

CPU-Z reads the data of core 0 by default. Sometimes you can capture the screenshot during a C- or P-state transition though. But to read the frequency information of the other cores, you need to right-click on the reading.

highest boost on how many cores?

when overclocked all core 3950x on LN2 5.3 ghz compared to 3900 on LN2 6.0 ghz.

#All*

* Precision Boost 2 can, but that doesn't mean it will. But yes, best case scenario, is all of them.

Just a thought. Some of the comparisons being thrown around are versus the 9900K. When people are quoting the clock speed and IPC I'm betting that's not stock? As I understand it to get the best out of the 9900k you need to overclock it manually under very good cooling and get a good chip to hit 5.1Ghz.

What is the average user getting the 9900k to? Surely that would be a fairer comparison to the auto-overclocked Zen chips that presumably anyone can achieve?

Silicon Lottery suggests that 49% of all i7-8700K SKUs top out at 5.10 GHz, while 65% of all i7-8086K super-binned SKUs top out at 5.20 GHz. If we assume the 9900K has similar binning to these chips, you're looking at 5.10 GHz for most.

Also worth noting that while just 4% of i7-8700K chips reach 5.30 GHz, this figure jumps to 15% for i7-8086K models. But then that's 4% of a much larger production by comparison.

So the 3800X will beat the 9700k by miles in gaming?

I have my 9700K at 5.2GHz all cores when gaming.

I fancy a change :)

To be honest, with your 9700K at 5.20 GHz, you may not see that much of a difference, if any, going to a 3800X.

But 9900k 5ghz is not its OC limit :) and who know what Zen2 is OC limit hmm

Eh... It's pretty close to its limit, and operating well outside of its ideal range for the node. Half of i9-9900K SKUs fail to go higher than 5.10 GHz.

Last edited:
Soldato
First of all it would be impossible to guarantee every reviewer getting test products at same.

So no doubt there would be sites publishing shoddily done reviews before others just to get those extra visitors.
hurried testing? They have had the chips for MONTHS! what difference does releasing the reviews a few days earlier mean???

Also, I'm not against NDA per say. (So all reviewers release ta the same time). But make that time BEFORE the product launch to Joe Consumer.

Soldato

There is nothing wrong with setting an NDA date, the problem is setting that date to be the same as the launch date.

Soldato
hurried testing? They have had the chips for MONTHS! what difference does releasing the reviews a few days earlier mean???

Also, I'm not against NDA per say. (So all reviewers release ta the same time). But make that time BEFORE the product launch to Joe Consumer.

Review sites, no... Affiliates to board vendors or AMD/Intel then yes but under watch .

Boards wouldn't arrived into the UK/EU that long ago - as well as the rest of the work.. just takes one pirate to mess up a huge shipment and seems that's now common etc .

Will have to scan AMD NDA (first Gen ) and you'll see it's not work breaking it if your an average Joe

Would be nice to have it 24 hours before launch at least - but AMD have done enough teasing anyways

It's intel and their 10 core that are going to have to 'leak' the hell out of it to draw attention

Soldato
Would be nice to have it 24 hours before launch at least - but AMD have done enough teasing anyways

AMD have done enough testing anyway? LOL. Thats hilarious. Completely unbiased testing of course. Or their OWN product lol.
Call me cynical but I like to see reviews from third parties before making my decisions. Not just from AMD who, while I am not saying are liars, certainly have a vested interest in making sure their data sets are absolutely best possible case.

Soldato
@beany_bot , their own RX 5700 testing is more bit and miss then Zen2 .
But gives enough indication it's a competitor to intel, and Intel's memo confirms it .
With so many reviews , no stone would be left unturned.
But for workstation users, they are all c*** and Puget systems is a godsend for their testing .
Anyone looking at doing video editing , Geomapping, rendering, would highly recommend waiting for their reviews :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
There is nothing wrong with setting an NDA date, the problem is setting that date to be the same as the launch date.

That’s pretty much standard practice when you have a crap product, but they do not.

I’m lucky that I’m not waiting to upgrade and can peruse the reviews and OC guides until at least September. Feel for those that have literally been waiting for these to drop before building their next PC/upgrade.

Man of Honour
NDA's are bull. It's ridiculous all these professional reviewers and testers already have these chips and will have benchmarked them and yet we can't here results until after the CPUs go on sale. so Stupid.
Agreed. You'd think AMD would allow the reviews to go up a week or so before general sale to build the hype.

Back
Top Bottom