LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
But of course. All types of workflow (programming, lots of work spreadsheet stuff and all the windows based daily life) excel in it.

What i always try to be mindful of is to shut it down if i will be absent for more than 5 minutes.

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the bolded, I don't really understand. You shut it down if you'll be absent for >5 mins, because that static element will be on the screen. But say you're on chrome browsing reddit for 4 hours everything apart from the scrolling text is a static element. Or if you're working on excel 4 hours, everything apart from the cells you're working on is static. Or having WhatsApp/Discord windows open, everything apart from new messages is static. So surely that'll just burn in?

For example: https://imgur.com/PTH9abh

Look how many static elements there are here. Fair enough you can hide the taskbar, and (vomit) not have a wallpaper but the rest you can't do anything about.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, eventually it will start to cause burn in. Eventually and hopefully not before many years of usage.

I mean, even LCD have burn in (altought it should disperse it after a few hours of different content, so we can call it "fade in"), i have a LCD TV displaying security footage and when i minimize the App screen, you can easily see the burn in.

What is general consensus is that you should use OLED LIGHT setting at YOUR lowest possible for Workflow usage. But for gaming and movie watching (specially in HDR) it is this settings that gives the Wow! factor.

It is totally related to burn in in the OLEDs.

Soldato
Look how many static elements there are here. Fair enough you can hide the taskbar, and (vomit) not have a wallpaper but the rest you can't do anything about.

You've hit the nail on the head. If you want OLED you have to be honest with yourself & accept that you'll see burn in before you want to get rid of the TV. There's no way around that. That's why it's so great for watching movies a few times a week, but more of a luxury consumable for PC users.

Associate
You've hit the nail on the head. If you want OLED you have to be honest with yourself & accept that you'll see burn in

Fair enough.

before you want to get rid of the TV.

No, not really. I bet anyone will switch to newer OLEDs way before that happens.

The CRIPPLING burn in that everyone dreads exists only in Costcos and other big mall sellers.

The B/C/E9 have enough mitigations to not let that happen (see Rtings OLED running test)

Soldato
Fair enough.

No, not really. I bet anyone will switch to newer OLEDs way before that happens.

The CRIPPLING burn in that everyone dreads exists only in Costcos and other big mall sellers.

The B/C/E9 have enough mitigations to not let that happen (see Rtings OLED running test)

Have you verified & quantified these so-called mitigations? Let's skip ahead and be honest: you have no idea how long your set has & LG isn't in a rush to clarify. All I see from the RTINGS test is that burn-in is a guarantee, on everything but brown sludge (let alone HDR & PC usage). For my TV getting to 10K hours within 3 years is quite easy, and burn-in in most situations occurs closer to half that, in which case I'd have to swap it every 2 years (or 3 at best, but unlikely). And I don't think that's too unusual for a household, because usually it's not just one person using the TV, it can be the spouse, kids etc. all using it at different times. How many people do you know that change their TV sooner than 5 years? Not many, I'd bet. And even on enthusiast forums, the majority keep it for >3 years, but more like 5 or when it breaks. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...56-poll-how-often-do-you-replace-your-tv.html)

So, let's see how many long-term owners without burn-in there'll be with the new ones, because we already know the 6 & 7 series' track record is abysmal.

Caporegime
Lel, this again.......

Had my e7 since 2017 (probably be near, if not over 5k of hours now) and it has been used for countless hours of HDR gaming.

Still not a single sign of image retention, not even temporary.

PC/windows usage, nah, I ain't going to use a 55" OLED for browsing, word documents etc. lol.........

Associate
you have no idea how long your set has & LG isn't in a rush to clarify.

Completely agree. All my estimations are based on what LG have told us + what i am doing to delay the inevitable. We'll see.

And I don't think that's too unusual for a household, because usually it's not just one person using the TV, it can be the spouse, kids etc. all using it at different times. How many people do you know that change their TV sooner than 5 years? Not many, I'd bet. And even on enthusiast forums, the majority keep it for >3 years, but more like 5 or when it breaks. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...56-poll-how-often-do-you-replace-your-tv.html)

Indeed, but we must take in account, too, the number of ppl that already have more than one High end TV piece in their homes.

When they see a new TV that surpass the "i don´t need another HDTV" bar and enter the "OLED blacks/colors/responsiveness is my new home now" they usually change and put the old one somewhere in the house.

Associate
Tried to use my faithfull AW3418DW again and........ It´s difficult.

Small, washed out and i can easily see the trail of the cursor while in Windows/Games. And the black is a shade of gray.

The only minus of the C9 is the burn in. Which so far don´t exists.

There is no going back.

Soldato
Tried to use my faithfull AW3418DW again and........ It´s difficult.

Small, washed out and i can easily see the trail of the cursor while in Windows/Games. And the black is a shade of gray.

There is no going back.

Agreed. I haven't seen a monitor I'd buy anymore, and the ones that might be good enough are 2-3x the price of an OLED, in which case even if it burns in I'll still break even. My poor UW has been confined to camera monitoring duties. Tried it again a few weeks ago and it was just so bad, even the VA ones.

Associate
Agreed. I haven't seen a monitor I'd buy anymore, and the ones that might be good enough are 2-3x the price of an OLED, in which case even if it burns in I'll still break even. My poor UW has been confined to camera monitoring duties. Tried it again a few weeks ago and it was just so bad, even the VA ones.

There is also the victory that will be selling the AW3418DW and getting rid of the obnoxious unbelievable big box that it came in. This thing is stealing a portion of my garage :p:rolleyes:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lel, this again.......

Had my e7 since 2017 (probably be near, if not over 5k of hours now) and it has been used for countless hours of HDR gaming.

PC/windows usage, nah, I ain't going to use a 55" OLED for browsing, word documents etc. lol.........
He is becoming 4K8K v2. Relentless, no matter what you say once he has made his opinion he will bang on about for ever :p

Soldato
Quick question regarding using the LG OLED C9 55 inch as a PC gaming monitor. I do nothing on my PC except for game and a little web browsing/youtube watching. Besides that I would use it for Netflix/Prime/Sky GO etc etc. I can only sit back around 2.5-3 feet from the screen, I do like a big image, but wary of it being TOO big...?

I am then wondering, I am getting a new GPU this week, with the OLED being "G Sync compatible", would this be preferred to using an AMD gpu with freesync?, does one perform better than the other? (not talking about proper g sync here).

With the recent news about new LG OLED in 2020 and reduced sizes, is this all the changes taking place?, will I missing anything going for a 2019 OLED, quality, features?, what about prices, is now a good time, do we think prices will drop further, or perhaps go up?.

I hope someone or many, with good insight and opinion could wade in and help me make sense of all this and help me make my mind up :)

Cheers and happy new year all.

48" is worth waiting for IMO. I've tried a friends 55" C9, beautiful and awesome, but too much of a sacrifice to move your head so much for games and to sit so far back.

I see it as 55" - early adopters, who pushed the need for a 48" to the market. I imagine many of them will be purchasing a 48" at some point and using the 55" as a bedroom TV/another room's TV :D

Associate
This is my sit distance. Currently in 4k

C9.jpg

Indeed the 48"will be even better.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
48" is worth waiting for IMO. I've tried a friends 55" C9, beautiful and awesome, but too much of a sacrifice to move your head so much for games and to sit so far back.

I see it as 55" - early adopters, who pushed the need for a 48" to the market. I imagine many of them will be purchasing a 48" at some point and using the 55" as a bedroom TV/another room's TV :D

I’m wouldn’t be surprised to see some people pick 55 over 48 and custom resolution ultrawide and sit slightly back. I think it looks incredible.

I’m eagerly awaiting the 77 inch oled to drop in price but looks like they increase it to 5999

Caporegime
Have you verified & quantified these so-called mitigations? Let's skip ahead and be honest: you have no idea how long your set has & LG isn't in a rush to clarify. All I see from the RTINGS test is that burn-in is a guarantee, on everything but brown sludge (let alone HDR & PC usage). For my TV getting to 10K hours within 3 years is quite easy, and burn-in in most situations occurs closer to half that, in which case I'd have to swap it every 2 years (or 3 at best, but unlikely). And I don't think that's too unusual for a household, because usually it's not just one person using the TV, it can be the spouse, kids etc. all using it at different times. How many people do you know that change their TV sooner than 5 years? Not many, I'd bet. And even on enthusiast forums, the majority keep it for >3 years, but more like 5 or when it breaks. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...56-poll-how-often-do-you-replace-your-tv.html)

So, let's see how many long-term owners without burn-in there'll be with the new ones, because we already know the 6 & 7 series' track record is abysmal.

Thing is though when you can buy an oled tv for a third of the high end IPS monitors cost, does it matter if you have to keep buying a new tv every two years? Over 6 years it will have cost you the same money but you will have used far superior screens for that time.

Associate
Lel, this again.......

I don't think anyone is arguing this though mate. Pretty sure we all agree that for watching TV/films/playing games, with the modern safeguards there should be very little risk of image retention. The point we're more discussing is whether it's feasible to use as a main monitor for a general purpose desktop, to which you aptly said:

Not all of us have the space/finances to have a solid high resolution IPS monitor for productivity/browsing and then a 48+ inch OLED that only gets switched on for entertainment. If we did, there would be no debate or discussion to be had.

So the question that's being asked, and the discussion that was being had, was trying to work out exactly how bad the risk of IR was when doing things like hours of browsing in chrome, working on excel, editing photos in lightroom etc. If it's too risky to use an OLED for that, then no matter how gorgeous the colours are and how fast the pixel response, we're forced to go back to the £1-1.5k high refresh/high resolution monitors.

Soldato
Not all of us have the space/finances to have a solid high resolution IPS monitor for productivity/browsing and then a 48+ inch OLED that only gets switched on for entertainment. If we did, there would be no debate or discussion to be had.

So the question that's being asked, and the discussion that was being had, was trying to work out exactly how bad the risk of IR was when doing things like hours of browsing in chrome, working on excel, editing photos in lightroom etc. If it's too risky to use an OLED for that, then no matter how gorgeous the colours are and how fast the pixel response, we're forced to go back to the £1-1.5k high refresh/high resolution monitors.

That's the big unknown... for obvious reasons because very few people are using 55" screens as dedicated desktop monitors. Those already using them with a PC are, in 99% of cases, doing so more in a lounge gaming set-ups where this won't be an issue. The 48" makes it just about do-able in a decent size desk set-up, and in light of how dreadful the high-end LCD options are (i.e expensive yet riddled with issues), it's one that is EXTREMELY tempting for me. Even with the risk of burn-in though, the upsides outweigh the negatives given how much it utterly destroys LCD in every way... providing the size can be made to work, as for some people even 48" is still going to be way too big.

Back
Top Bottom