**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
Xplane, FSX and Prepar3d all have the whole world and allow flights from one airport to any other another, fuel etc. permitting. FS2020 I believe will also have the whole world at varying levels of detail and support the same range of flights. I'm not on the alpha ( grrrrr ) so can't comment on how good default scenery is and how much better it gets if you stream the scenery or pre-cache it.

Soldato
So is this just going to be a fly around simulator? A blinking good one at that if the visuals are anything to go by, or do you actually get things to do like management aspects, starting a company like the old Ports Of Call on Amiga type game but in the air. I've never played a MS Flight Simulator before.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So is this just going to be a fly around simulator? A blinking good one at that if the visuals are anything to go by, or do you actually get things to do like management aspects, starting a company like the old Ports Of Call on Amiga type game but in the air. I've never played a MS Flight Simulator before.
Lol. Just flying mate, like it always has been. What you are after is something completely different.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ok thanks. I thought there would be something else to it rather than just flying around.
Just an FYI, flying around is what people buy flight simulation games :p

I can see what you mean though. Like car games have a career mode and stuff like that. Thing is making a flying game and getting physics and scenery right seems to be a bigger challenge. Either that or they do not make as much money so they can never get the development power needed to make such a game. This game is actually taking a huge leap forward in scenary and graphics.

Associate
What TonyTurbo78 is talking about would be to this, as Football Manager is to FIFA, more of a managment SIM.
Totally could be legitimately interesting, but not what this game is going to offer.
It's not a genre I know well, but maybe there are airline managment sims out there already ?

Soldato

I nearly fell out of chair when you mentioned Ports of Call. I never though anyone else knew that game :)

Soldato
Just an FYI, flying around is what people buy flight simulation games :p

Yes and no. I buy WW2, WW1 and modern day flight sims to fly in historical campaigns with missions and outcomes. Same goes for space flight sims, they always come with a story/campaigns attached. Would be boring getting in a spaceship and flying through space for 5 hours just looking at stars. Apart from the Insane graphics, whats the point in flying for 10 hours in MS Flight Sim? I would see that getting pretty boring that's the reason for my initial question. It wasnt to troll the game, as I'm blown away by how it looks, I was just curious if it had some reason to be flying more so than just because you enjoy flight.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes and no. I buy WW2, WW1 and modern day flight sims to fly in historical campaigns with missions and outcomes. Same goes for space flight sims, they always come with a story/campaigns attached. Would be boring getting in a spaceship and flying through space for 5 hours just looking at stars. Apart from the Insane graphics, whats the point in flying for 10 hours in MS Flight Sim? I would see that getting pretty boring that's the reason for my initial question. It wasnt to troll the game, as I'm blown away by how it looks, I was just curious if it had some reason to be flying more so than just because you enjoy flight.

Did not think you was trolling :)

As mentioned there are some missions. But not the thing you are after. I remember in the past doing certain mission that would lead to you getting a certificate you could print :p

Regarding the WW1/2 games, the maps are tiny in comparison.

I like flight sims, but usually I like flying around London. For a quick one I usually take off at London City Airport and land at Heathrow. It is nice to fly by the O2, then Canary Wharf, followed by the London Eye and Big Ben :p

If the scenary is accurate in this game I may even go looking for my house. Might take a helicopter and land in my garden. Lol.

Soldato
@TonyTurbo78 mate there was an add-on for FSX that did this, think it was called cargo captain or something.

Essentially you loaded up a management SIM, picked a load and trips, had a crew to manage and had to manage everything from fuel to wages. When you wanted to fly a trip you just picked it, put yourself as pilot then had to fly the route, the program set the sim star, end aircraft type weight and everything.

Was really good, only prob for me was that it ran in real time so it took just as long to start a business as it would in real life! Good though

Soldato
There's one "mission" at the moment, a landing on a tricky french runway in the hills with wicked winds.

Sim is phenomenal, shame my xbox tag is plastered all over screen otherwise I would show some awesome screens. But the screens that have come out are real it's not vaporware lol, from up high flying it looks great. Low level needs a lot of work, it's defo an alpha on the ground, ai planes are doing funny things etc. The best bit of the sim is how the aircraft feel though (no jets to try yet), alive is a good way to describe it. Also, the weather and time of day are sublime. With the click of a button, you can go from clear sky to a rainstorm with lightning and a slider controls the time of day, can go from midday to depths of the night in a split second.

I've found my road on it, but the houses arent like real life, maybe 1/3 of the houses are autogenned in, but the roads and area look like where I live, so for VFR it's great, xplane and p3d don't have my road on, so it's great in that respect. Also couldn't find the Hollywood sign, but LA looks great lol

Soldato
My view on it is it's far better than xplane and p3d and all those simulators but super arcade currently . Graphics are okay. Buildings are very randomly generated and I think it will make people question there own home towns. I have massive buildings and super structures but they obviously don't exist in my town and it makes it insanely hard to pin point places. But places like London and the states blow my mind at the scale and graphics it has my jaw on the floor.

They have a long way to go for stable frame rate. Currently not playable with anyone with 4 or 6 core cpus as it maxes the entire cpu with ease. Ram usage is around 20gb and vram happily eats all 8gb of my 2080 super.

Overall I wouldn't get too hyped for it. A lot of work still to go into it id not be surprised if we are still in beta after 2020.

Soldato
My view on it is it's far better than xplane and p3d and all those simulators but super arcade currently . Graphics are okay. Buildings are very randomly generated and I think it will make people question there own home towns. I have massive buildings and super structures but they obviously don't exist in my town and it makes it insanely hard to pin point places. But places like London and the states blow my mind at the scale and graphics it has my jaw on the floor.

They have a long way to go for stable frame rate. Currently not playable with anyone with 4 or 6 core cpus as it maxes the entire cpu with ease. Ram usage is around 20gb and vram happily eats all 8gb of my 2080 super.

Overall I wouldn't get too hyped for it. A lot of work still to go into it id not be surprised if we are still in beta after 2020.
Agree it craps all over xplane and p3d, The roads are accurate, the buildings and elevation not much so, there's a road up a big hill near my house that in-game looks slightly elevated beyond flat

I have a 6 core 12 thread CPU and the game runs fine so not sure what that is about? Certainly doesn't max my 5820k, hits the gfx card far harder! Ram usage for me is about 12-14GB on top of my normal system usage of around 12GB, so goes upto 2XGB when in-game, should defo be alright on 16GB with less stuff running in the background. And yeah the game will shine with a 2080ti or better, it'll defo push me to buy the next series of cards when released, though my 2070 Super does ok when game maxxed, dial back a bit and performance is awesome.

I'd pay £40 for it as is, and with the missions added, more planes and if they do open up to modding etc it'll be a 10/10 simulator.

Back
Top Bottom