The folly of the modern world laid bare

Associate
I suggest you read the book it’s evidence based
Oh joy, its evidence based. Same as vitamin C and Linus Pauling?
Why is it not science based? Not snippets that suit his theory, but a whole body of work.
electrification of our society is the fundamental basis of cancer, heart disease and diabetes
Yes, but only indirectly. Electricity as part of overall progress causes longer and more prosperous life, and that in turn results in said diseases becoming the main problem.

Soldato
so if the trappings of modern science are so bad for your health how come 40 is now no longer considered a decent innings?

Willing to stand corrected, but I don't believe it ever was. Average life expectancy was skewed by terrible infant mortality statistics until relatively modern medicine. As such, the average life expectancy is now much higher (because most people don't die as babies in 15-child families any more). If you survived childhood you were always likely to live to the same rough old age, plus or minus a few years for the ability of modern medical science to keep you going after things that used to kill you.

Soldato
Willing to stand corrected, but I don't believe it ever was. Average life expectancy was skewed by terrible infant mortality statistics until relatively modern medicine. As such, the average life expectancy is now much higher (because most people don't die as babies in 15-child families any more). If you survived childhood you were always likely to live to the same rough old age, plus or minus a few years for the ability of modern medical science to keep you going after things that used to kill you.

Yes and no. You're absolutely right that the average was brought down by high infant mortality and that everyone didn't drop dead at 30 in the old days, but you may be underestimating the amount of people now living to what would once have been considered extreme old age, principally due to modern medical care.

Soldato
Oh a look, a book that's being peddled almost exclusively by r/conspiracy in between Bill Gates vaccine paranoia and David Icke ramblings.

"Did you know there's a direct correlation between the decline of Spirograph and the rise in gang activity? Think about it"

Holy ****. You're right :eek:

No he isn't!!!

Wake up sheeple!!!

They just want you to THINK there has been a decline of Spirograph...

Soldato
I'm at chapter 4 and so far so interesting, actually. Thus far it's just been a series of clippings of the history of man's experimentations with static and electricity. No (modern) woo yet.

Man of Honour
Isn't that before the section where it correlates all the turning on of power lines, radio waves and wifi to global pandemics as if they were the cause? It's written in such a way to not be blindingly obvious as to its message but just to plant that seed in the minds of the easily susceptible and/or those who don't really grasp (either by choice or they just can't) simple concepts of science.

If you want a down to Earth book about the history of not only science but other realistic factors of the world and our existence then A Brief History of Nearly Everything is the book to read and will easily last most the remainder of lockdown.

Soldato
Isn't that before the section where it correlates all the turning on of power lines, radio waves and wifi to global pandemics as if they were the cause?

I don't know, I haven't got there yet. :D Still interested to hear the OP's reply about whether he - a doctor - actually believes this stuff. 'Flu not contagious? Radio and electricity causes, well, almost everything? I did note in the book that a historical reference to the effects of electricity, couched as legitimacy for modern 'electrical sensitivity', opined that exposure to electrical shocks caused the recipient to become 'almost asthmatic'. So, asthma was at least existent before the telegraph and power lines? :p

If you want a down to Earth book about the history of not only science but other realistic factors of the world and our existence then A Brief History of Nearly Everything is the book to read and will easily last most the remainder of lockdown.

Thanks, I'll grab a copy!

Soldato
I don't know whats worse. The nonsense in that "book" or the fact some people believe this tripe and work in the medical field.

If OP really stands by this book he needs to put his name to it and we'll see what the GMC has to say about it's members spreading medical conspiracy theories.

Associate
Population stats on Bhutan (https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/bhutan-population/) show that the population's median age was almost static at 18.0-19.0 between 1950-2000. After this point, which is when electrification of the country began, the median age has seen an increase to 28.1 in 2020.

Conclusion: The introduction of electricity to Bhutan has resulted in people living for longer.

[edi] Also, I wonder what happened in 1995. 11,713 people emigrated!

Associate
OP
I don't know, I haven't got there yet. :D Still interested to hear the OP's reply about whether he - a doctor - actually believes this stuff. 'Flu not contagious? Radio and electricity causes, well, almost everything? I did note in the book that a historical reference to the effects of electricity, couched as legitimacy for modern 'electrical sensitivity', opined that exposure to electrical shocks caused the recipient to become 'almost asthmatic'. So, asthma was at least existent before the telegraph and power lines? :p

Thanks, I'll grab a copy!

Sorry, busy day. Sure I believe viruses are contagious, I put on and off the correct protective clothing many times a day to prevent myself contracting coronavirus.

I came across this work from the EU 5g appeal, which is a consortium of scientists and doctors who are lobbying the EU to halt 5g rollout until the health effects can be determined fully.

This is why Brussels has not allowed 5g rollout in the city (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eu...ack-of-proof-mobile-phones-don-t-cause-cancer), or why Switzerland is having ongoing disputes and debates within the country that are attempting to halt 5g rollout (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/848c5b44-4d7a-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5)

If this book is on a conspiracy forum and being discussed then that’s irrelevant to me. I read that book, and think he has made an overwhelming case for a link between electricity generally and disease. This isn’t a new thing with 5g this has been going on since electricity was discovered.

That said, it hasn’t decreased life expectancy, we may live with increased disease burden but we still live and we enjoy modern life. I’m not saying we should go back to being caveman I’m just saying we should find a way to insulate the sources of EM radiation. It’s like, calling for seat belts in cars. When this was proposed the industry lobbied for no seat belts and public sided with them. When the safety of cigarettes was questioned the industry lobbied that they were safe and again the public were misled.

I don’t personally understand why people are so angry, just think critically, and if you think there is even a hint of a safety issue then why is it unreasonable to see if that’s true (which it clearly is) and if so, how can we make it safer. What if it’s true? Would you people not like to live in a world with less disease burden?

I suggest everyone just becomes a little less emotional and a little more rational. The response in this thread is comical. I posted this to have a nice discussion in speaker’s corner. The fact that some emotional mod has shunted it to GD is even more telling of the calibre of minds on this board. My colleagues are enjoying it and we are having a good debate.

Anyone who is capable of critical thinking I suggest you ignore the noise in this thread, read the book and make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t personally understand why people are so angry, just think critically, and if you think there is even a hint of a safety issue then why is it unreasonable to see if that’s true (which it clearly is)

Holy assumptions, Batman! Glad to see you've reviewed every piece of evidence and peer reviewed study before making your mind up.

I suggest everyone just becomes a little less emotional and a little more rational. The response in this thread is comical.

People do that and 5G nuts scream "look at this thing I found on the internet!"

5G occupies a range on the electromagnetic spectrum that has been already used and slightly smaller wavelengths. The power output of both handsets/mobile devices and the towers is comparable or lower than existing kit. Correct me if I am wrong, every reputable study into "electromagnetic sensitivity" and health issues regarding EM sources concludes the same thing: There is no tangible link to health and well being of people within range of the EM source. In fact, telling suffers of said "sensitivity" condition have their symptoms improve when they are told the transmissions have been turned off, regardless if it has. Sorry for my critical thinking! Maybe we should turn off all the Gs and go back to using uranium as a tonic, such blissful EM free times :)

Governments not doing something because it's unpopular with peasants isn't new or unusual, either. Smoking, drinking, being morbidly obese, driving, sunbathing, DIY and ignoring current social distancing advice (to name but a few) IS demonstrably bad for you but hardly anyone gives a monkey's about one or more of those.

There is nothing magic about improving medical diagnosis and reported number cases of diseases increasing but that's something for a qualified doctor with a bent for history to expand upon

Associate
OP
The book in the op has 160 pages of references, some from Nobel laureates. So, you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t budge. Who are you, in this debate, why is your opinion valuable? I’ve provided plenty of sources, if you’re unwilling to engage then I can do no more. It takes a couple of days to read that work, all of you complaining except a few who are reading are making noise for the sake of making noise.

Again, this was meant for SC, although, I haven’t experienced intelligence in either board on this issue.

Associate
OP
Indeed. The fact people truly believe stuff like this is frightening in itself. Amazing.

Yeh, so amazing that a doctor cares about health, or that doctors and scientists in the EU care about safety standards. Anyway, this was a failure, people are too close minded in this world, back to more pleasant circles.

Back
Top Bottom