• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
I think gigabyte have nailed it this time round. either x570 or soon to be released b550. great looking boards, decent enough bios. UK RMA if needed.

I couldnt get a way from the word tomahawk and arsenal gaming...what am I? a child?

Who comes up with this nonsense. Also the taichi with the gears? omg...

gigabyte have the HW and the design this time round.

Associate
Thanks for the comments on the Tuf, sounds pretty much what I'm looking for :) Good solid all rounder, don't really need any flashy extras.

I'm a little worried by the positioning of the chipset fan under the gpu though.
Don't. I have one and cannot hear the fan in normal operation, in heavy use it can't be heard above my Dark Rock Pro 4 (which is one of the quieter coolers available). Install the latest BIOS when you get it and you'll be golden. Mine runs 32gb of 3200 ram at 3733 with RAM calculator fast timings. Great board.

Soldato
Don't. I have one and cannot hear the fan in normal operation, in heavy use it can't be heard above my Dark Rock Pro 4 (which is one of the quieter coolers available). Install the latest BIOS when you get it and you'll be golden. Mine runs 32gb of 3200 ram at 3733 with RAM calculator fast timings. Great board.
Thanks for the comments :) Got a while to wait for the CPU to be delivered, so will keep an eye open for a good deal on the Tuf in the meantime.

Associate
Thanks for the comments on the Tuf, sounds pretty much what I'm looking for :) Good solid all rounder, don't really need any flashy extras.

I'm a little worried by the positioning of the chipset fan under the gpu though.

It will be fine I couldn’t hear it at all over a air cooled gpu and it has a decent intake with no grill like gauze in front of the fan (like the highest spec Asus boards seem to do)

Soldato
I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570 as I couldn't get past the colours or the name of the ASUS TUF board.

Very similar in specs and price too :)

Yeh, I'm not overly enamored with the colour and name of the Tuf. But I always prioritize features, reliability, build quality and price over all else. That said, if it was pink with polkadots and named fluffy unicorn pro, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole no matter what :p

Soldato
https://imgur.com/a/2uxhgym

In 33, the last picture I have my 20 pass TM5 and DRAM calculator memory benchmark. This is with new timings from version 1.7.2 of DRAM calculator for my 3600M2ZC18 Corsair Vengence Pro. I'm just doing a test with reduced memory voltage right now but I had to restart the test, there were no errors but it seemed to be stuck on test 13 with 1.0 Sec/Gb and cpu was not maxed and RAM usage was low.

As soon as this test completes I'll swap in my Patriot Viper Steel 4400 kits.
@megatron
When you have the Vipers fitted.
In Dram calc be sure to enter them as profile version 1 and memory rank 2.
Only use the FAST option I mean why would you choose anything slower :)
Will remember this.:) (Its called A2 for high quality now though, Buildzoid talks about different PCB layouts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw70_UI_bkY)

I'll be mindful of this too:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...membench-0-8-dram-bench-745.html#post28447136

Last edited:
Associate
I ran some tests today including default Memtest 5 V3

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMHGD-yylU7gdsjyK2jknef1JXTig?e=hruw9D

The Dram calc tests were with v1.72 but although my timings are all the same I am still running the termination and Cad bus block settings from version 1.70

I know your still looking for stability but they have made a big difference to your scores so far.

I see you are still using the memory rank 1 option.
Try with the rank 2 settings see if your scores improve.

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst I'm happy with the performance of my 3900x, I'm still confused with xfr/pb/pbo and their impact on performance so will welcome your thoughts.

Using Cinebench R20 as a benchmark

Stock = 6900-7000 / boost to 3950/4000mhz / temp at 72c (multiple runs)

Pbo off = 7100 /4050mhz/68c

Undervolt and pbo off(0.102) = 7350 /4175mh/65c

Undervolt and pbo on =7200 /4100mhz /63c.

I've tried under voting at different increment from 0.01 to 0.1 at 10mhz increments, anything less than 0.102 has a negative impact on scores and temps.

I'm confused as why it boost lower with pbo on? I've configured pbo to use motherboard settings, and I've also tried manual setting to max out the three settings.

In games and general usage, I will get 2-3 cores hitting 4.6 to 4.625 with the other cores hitting 4.575 on the first chiplet.

As I said, I'm happy with the performance, but confused with the route taken to get the performance.

Back
Top Bottom