• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
Hey all!
I've recently upgraded to the 3900x. The temps are higher than my old chip and naturally I am curious as to whether this is normal or not. Old chip was a 6700k. It idles at around ~40 but fluctuates a lot. I've seen it hit 80 degrees today under load while playing Mortal Kombat. This is according to HWMonitor.
I am running a Noctua NH-D15, dual fan setup.

From my understand, an algorithm will boost my clocks speeds based on the temperature readings, so you don't always get a lower temp as the algo will push it further. Again, according to HWMonitor, I can see the max value on one of the cores is 4591 which seems quite high from the digging around I have done.

Are these temps fine?

Soldato
Hey all!
I've recently upgraded to the 3900x. The temps are higher than my old chip and naturally I am curious as to whether this is normal or not. Old chip was a 6700k. It idles at around ~40 but fluctuates a lot. I've seen it hit 80 degrees today under load while playing Mortal Kombat. This is according to HWMonitor.
I am running a Noctua NH-D15, dual fan setup.

From my understand, an algorithm will boost my clocks speeds based on the temperature readings, so you don't always get a lower temp as the algo will push it further. Again, according to HWMonitor, I can see the max value on one of the cores is 4591 which seems quite high from the digging around I have done.

Are these temps fine?
Yeah. That's all pretty much normal.

Soldato
this is the lowest voltage i can run at 4.4ghz all core, most of the time in gaming i hit around 65-71 under load, during more cpu intensive loads i can see upto 81 degrees but try not to run such tests for long periods of time or at all if i can help it. If i drop the voltage close to 1.3v my all core overclock is 4.2ghz and no more, constant freezing and bsod's :(

I'll be looking at next gen ryzen anyway so if the chip degrades by the time the new stuff is out no worries just swap out and carry on, cut the pins off my 3900x and place it on my shelf :)

Since you have 3900X use 1usmus or Community Power Plan. You will gain another 5% clocks and performance. Mine clocks to 4600+ when gaming not 4400.
While temps don't exceed 53C with a D15.

Soldato
I've been seeing mention of memory latency issues with the AMD cpus, are games lagging or is it purely something that slows down benchmarks slightly and is never noticible in use?

Soldato
I've been seeing mention of memory latency issues with the AMD cpus, are games lagging or is it purely something that slows down benchmarks slightly and is never noticible in use?
latency is greater than intel...but its the machine in general you care about when benchmarking games, and it is clear that Intel don't have anything to brag about anymore!

Soldato
Treated myself to a 3900x for my birthday :)

Wondering what motherboards people are using? I'm leaning towards the Asus x570 Tuf at the moment.

Also, will my 16gb of vengeance 3000mhz ram be ok to use? Don't particularly want to cough up for new ram.

Associate
If you can hold off for the X570 msi tomahawk it’s going to be a beast for the money! (Hopefully hopefully out end of the month early June)

but if you really can’t wait... maybe look into the gigabyte elite as it has a decent intel 1gb lan. (Over Realtek)

but the tuff gaming you mentioned again perfect board for the £180 price tag if you can get around that.

Soldato
If you can hold off for the X570 msi tomahawk it’s going to be a beast for the money! (Hopefully hopefully out end of the month early June)

but if you really can’t wait... maybe look into the gigabyte elite as it has a decent intel 1gb lan. (Over Realtek)

but the tuff gaming you mentioned again perfect board for the £180 price tag if you can get around that.

The Tomahawk looks a good board, but ideally I'd like 8 sata ports.

The Tuf looks pretty good for the money. Decent vrm's and features. Looks to support 3000mhz ram ok too.

Is the realtek Lan a big issue on the Tuf?

Last edited:
Associate
I ran the tuff for a few weeks was spot on tbh, Great memory clocks and bandwidth scores.
I like the simple clean feel my strix-e has so much stuff on it I never used like wifi6 2.5gb lan ect ect but it did look better with the rgb/heat sinks ect.

Soldato
I ran the tuff for a few weeks was spot on tbh, Great memory clocks and bandwidth scores.
I like the simple clean feel my strix-e has so much stuff on it I never used like wifi6 2.5gb lan ect ect but it did look better with the rgb/heat sinks ect.

Thanks for the comments on the Tuf, sounds pretty much what I'm looking for :) Good solid all rounder, don't really need any flashy extras.

I'm a little worried by the positioning of the chipset fan under the gpu though.

Back
Top Bottom