******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
They add features to extend dev, while removing others entirely from the roadmaps.

What's so ambitious about it? because it's in space?

RDR2 is a fully released masterpeice, so they're not even comparable.

RDR 2 was made by a company which had loads of experience in making that type of game - which is GTA in the wild west, same as Fallout is TES with guns. The missions structure and gameplay is practically the same. They already had most of the tech themselves and were very familiar with it.What needed improvement was done anyway as an evolution of the engine. No engine comes close to what SC/SQ42 must do as a whole.

RDR 2 doesn't have a self sustaining economy, practically no economy.
RDR 2 doesn't have the AI reacting organically to what you're doing, is the same ol' GTA style of spawning the law near you, with people magically knowing what your doing bad.
RDR 2 doesn't have the need of a complex AI, capable of moving in 3 dimensions, as a team, with different "skill" level, etc. They just identify you and come after you.
RDR 2 doesn't have the same detailed world: you can probably fit all the towns ot RDR 2 in the Bengal Carrier. The vast majority of the houses/rooms are not usable. A ship is far more complex than a horse!
RDR 2 doesn't have a large number of complex NPCs and has nothing happening in the background: as in tracking what the NPCs do in the world, items they use and where they're dropping them, etc. They just spawn around you aimlessly.
RDR 2 doesn't need to track a huge number of items (persistence and all of that).
etc.

And the list can go on. There isn't another game that can come close to the scope of this.

Caporegime
RDR 2 doesn't have movable Physics Grids inside movable Physics Grids inside movable Physics Grids inside a 65,000,000 KM Physics Grid eventually becoming one small part of a #,000,000,000 KM Physics Grid......

Edit: oh and yes, some of these large ships are the size of some game levels only far more complex. I still get lost on the Carrack and the 890. And they are all self-contained physics grids within a larger physics grid within a larger..............................

Last edited:
Soldato
I must be completely dense, but how do you trial the free-fly ships? Should they just be selectable from my hanger, or do you need to 'purchase' them from elsewhere, like you do the regular rental craft?

All I've got in my hanger (and have done for the last few days) is one Aegis, alongside my original backer ship.

Soldato
You need to go to ArcCorp and then the convention centre; you'll be able to rent for 0 aUEC ships from the vendor of the day... Its currently MISC/consolidated outland at the moment but that will change soon to Drake for the weekend. You get to keep the ship for 24 real time hours and then its gone.

Caporegime
Edit: beat me to it ^^^ :)

I must be completely dense, but how do you trial the free-fly ships? Should they just be selectable from my hanger, or do you need to 'purchase' them from elsewhere, like you do the regular rental craft?

All I've got in my hanger (and have done for the last few days) is one Aegis, alongside my original backer ship.

The idea is, and this is not at all as clear as it should be.... is you go to the Bevic Convention Center at Area 18 on ArcCorp and rent the ships there on display, this is free..... walk upto a them, hold F and click on rent, there is no limit to how many ships you can rent, rent them all, but you only get 24 hours with them.

Soldato
Caporegime
There's nothing about the Vulkan implementation, economy (as in the demo they've shown), advanced functionality of the ships and probably more. I'd say they have more than 10% left to do in terms of "engine" stuff - because in terms of assets, we don't know how many they have so far, although i suspect a lot!

The Vulkan API, HDR, Server Meshing..... Extendable Physics Grids :D for ship to ship docking and more besides are things that are actively being worked on right now but they are not on the roadmap because they don't know when these things will be ready, even the Pyro System is being worked on as we speak; they don't have a time scale to put on the roadmap.

If you watch the videos they put out on a Thursday they talk about these things.

What i'm talking about is this next quarters patch, its about done which means very soon it will go into Evocati testing, probably days after the Invictus event is finished. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The Vulkan API, HDR, Server Meshing..... Extendable Physics Grids :D and more besides are things that are actively being worked on right now but they are not on the roadmap because they don't know when these things will be ready, even the Pyro System is being worked on as we speak; they don't have a time scale to put on the roadmap.

If you watch the videos they put out on a Thursday they talk about these things.

What i'm talking about is this next quarters patch, its about done which means very soon it will go into Evocati testing, probably days after the Invictus event is finished. :)
Tbh id be happy if the next update eradicated 30k crashes and server login issues.

Soldato
RDR 2 was made by a company which had loads of experience in making that type of game - which is GTA in the wild west, same as Fallout is TES with guns. The missions structure and gameplay is practically the same. They already had most of the tech themselves and were very familiar with it.What needed improvement was done anyway as an evolution of the engine. No engine comes close to what SC/SQ42 must do as a whole.

RDR 2 doesn't have a self sustaining economy, practically no economy.
RDR 2 doesn't have the AI reacting organically to what you're doing, is the same ol' GTA style of spawning the law near you, with people magically knowing what your doing bad.
RDR 2 doesn't have the need of a complex AI, capable of moving in 3 dimensions, as a team, with different "skill" level, etc. They just identify you and come after you.
RDR 2 doesn't have the same detailed world: you can probably fit all the towns ot RDR 2 in the Bengal Carrier. The vast majority of the houses/rooms are not usable. A ship is far more complex than a horse!
RDR 2 doesn't have a large number of complex NPCs and has nothing happening in the background: as in tracking what the NPCs do in the world, items they use and where they're dropping them, etc. They just spawn around you aimlessly.
RDR 2 doesn't need to track a huge number of items (persistence and all of that).
etc.

And the list can go on. There isn't another game that can come close to the scope of this.

1. It doesn't need an economy. The only relevant enconomy in SC is the one where pixels are sold to mugs for ludicrous sums to fund Robert's lifestyle and ego.

2. Heard all this blather about reactive AI before - this is nothing new.

3. See above.

4. It's beautifully realised world. SC has a few planets representing what menat to be endless space. So hands down win to RDR2 here.

5. I've seen the NPC's in SC, they look awful, standing around doing nothing, hands on hips, or wierdly positioned, disapearing entirely for no reason, or simply falling throuigh the floor.

There is no game dude, so there's no scope to discuss, it's a glorified tech demo with a few weak gameplay loops, there's zero real complexity or depth, it's great marketing allied to some nice visuals to ditsract the Roberts cultists from seeing the bigger picture, and keeping them hyped for yet another round of milking.

Caporegime
1. It doesn't need an economy. The only relevant enconomy in SC is the one where pixels are sold to mugs for ludicrous sums to fund Robert's lifestyle and ego.

2. Heard all this blather about reactive AI before - this is nothing new.

3. See above.

4. It's beautifully realised world. SC has a few planets representing what menat to be endless space. So hands down win to RDR2 here.

5. I've seen the NPC's in SC, they look awful, standing around doing nothing, hands on hips, or wierdly positioned, disapearing entirely for no reason, or simply falling throuigh the floor.

There is no game dude, so there's no scope to discuss, it's a glorified tech demo with a few weak gameplay loops, there's zero real complexity or depth, it's great marketing allied to some nice visuals to ditsract the Roberts cultists from seeing the bigger picture, and keeping them hyped for yet another round of milking.

You're not winning anyone over with arguments like this, RDR 2 is a masterpiece of a game in a completely different genre, its a beautiful game very well done.... but a tiny fraction of the scope and complexity of Star Citizen, i'm talking in terms of technical difficulty its about a 1, anyone who knows their way around Unreal Engine, Cryengine or Unity can build a world like that in a year or two, beyond that its down to artistic and content building skill, which RockStar have to a very high standard.

Star Citizen and RDR 2 are not comparable, the latter is on level 11 of complexity, its the difference between using standard tools, methods and technology to build what is a stunning but no less vanilla game, Star Citizen is moving from one almost insurmountable problem to the next inventing new methods and tools to do what has often never been done before.

Also, many of us do enjoy it as a game and play it, often a lot, we get our enjoyment out of it and whatever comes next is bonus, we are not impressed by you coming in here telling us were mugs because we are willing to pay for something we enjoy doing with our free time, why not just go play Red Dead Redemption 2, enjoy it and leave us be?

Last edited:
Soldato
You're not winning anyone over with arguments like this, RDR 2 is a masterpiece of a game in a completely different genre, its a beautiful game very well done.... but a tiny fraction of the scope and complexity of Star Citizen, i'm talking in terms of technical difficulty its about a 1, anyone who knows their way around Unreal Engine, Cryengine or Unity can build a world like that in a year or two, beyond that its down to artistic and content building skill, which RockStar have to a very high standard.

Star Citizen and RDR 2 are not comparable, the latter is on level 11 of complexity, its the difference between using standard tools, methods and technology to build what is a stunning but no less vanilla game, Star Citizen is moving from one almost insurmountable problem to the next inventing new methods and tools to do what has often never been done before.

Also, many of us do enjoy it as a game and play it, often a lot, we get our enjoyment out of it and whatever comes next is bonus, we are not impressed by you coming in here telling us were mugs because we are willing to pay for something we enjoy doing with our free time, why not just go play Red Dead Redemption 2, enjoy it and leave us be?

I don't mind not winning anyone over, there's no way people who are all in on SC after 8 years are going to agree with me, they're all too invested.

I didn't bring in the RDR2 comparison that was brrought in to excuse SC's endless development by one of your guys.

I think anyone pumping hundreds and thousands of £££ into this game or any game, has clearly lost their mind, there's no way anything the community has bought has the value paid for it, the pricing of these ships etc defies belief. This is what comes with getting emotionally depenedent on a game success, if at the beginning Roberts told backers:

"oh yeah, you know in 8 years time, there will still be no game, but you'll be paying us thousands of dollars for pretend spacehips" - none of them would have believed it, yet here we are...

;)

Soldato
Ok, we're all blinded by pretty things, too emotionally invested, too financially invested, have a cult mentality, are too stupid to see the obvious truth and scream nonsense when it's presented.

If that's the case, then we can all agree that you're wasting your time here. Why not go and discuss a game you actually play with like minded people?

Soldato
GTA5 has been horrific online since they game went free on the epic store. a tiny pixel game compared to SC that is what? 5 years old and has been worked on until today and still cant get online working on a spec of an enviornment...
Still not fixed eh?

If the game can't handle the absolute basics of an online game, how is it ever going to handle all the never-seen-before levels of complexity you all keep banging on about?

Soldato
GTA5 has been horrific online since they game went free on the epic store. a tiny pixel game compared to SC that is what? 5 years old and has been worked on until today and still cant get online working on a spec of an enviornment...

Lol now you're comparing SC with the single highest grossing entertainment product of all time? Hardly surprising when said game goes FTP is it? That's very different frm 8 years of dev and and the "most complex game of all time" still can't handle server log-ins or the crash error that's been present for months.

Pointing out short term failures of absurdly succesful games isn't helping your defence of SC, it's just transparent whataboutery.

So how is SC's engine/infrastructure going to handle the most complex game of all time, if after 8 years it can't handle log-ins etc?

Back
Top Bottom