** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Permabanned
Those of you with the 32", or getting the 32" as replacement for an existing display, what is the approximate distance between your eyes and the screen? I'm in quite a small room, with a corner desk, and it's about 70cm between my eyes and my displays when I'm typing/gaming. Not sure if this is shorter than most, or about the same, but I'm hoping the 27" will fill my field of view nicely based on sitting at that distance whereas the 32" might need me further back to fit is all in. Hard to know until I get it, and to then be sure if it's the right fit for the space, instead of the 32". All this waiting is painful.

From what i have read and my own findings in less than one day of messing with it (cannot say I have used/enjoyed it yet) is that due to the 1000R curve you ideally sit closer rather than pushing it back and you need a lot of room at back due to the stand and curve.

Last edited:
Associate
Does yours make a small popping noise when you first start it in the morning? Mine does for about 90 mins and then stops. Obviously its just as the monitor heats up but just wondering if yours does the same?
Hey Midnight, I haven't had that noise yet no. But I have seen others on Reddit mention it a few times, its a whinge noise, coils or something apparently, hopefully it goes away in time?

I did notice an imperfection about 3-4 inches inwards from top bezel on the left side. Kinda where folks have said light bleed issues starts, but no issues just not shiny plastic whereas the rest top rim has it. Maybe it was resealed on QC checks? Anyways happy out.

Soldato
Is black crush the same on all VA monitors, or are some better than others for it? If the latter, how do these (or the 32" in particular) stack up? I play a lot of games with dark scenes, so black crush would be particularly annoying for me.

Associate
Got my 32" last Thursday, I am pretty happy with it. But dislike the flickering with Adaptive Sync On.
I found a small sub pixel fault a few days after, it's not the whole pixel and it's hard to see, but still annoy's me a little since it's brand new.
I contacted Samsung Scandinavia about it and they replied that the new panel should have no dead pixel's etc. Not sure what they are gonna do about it though.
I am also afraid I might get a new panel that has a dead pixel that's worse or more pixels, worse bleeding etc. But I guess I can just complain again then lol. I have 30 days free return if I want too, but I guess it doesn't matter if I return it and get a new one, or Samsung replacing it.

You can see the pixel fault here
https://imgur.com/s9M8iU6
Yeah it is small, but you can see it when watching youtube etc. It stays black all the time

What do u guy's think, should I have them fix it or is there a big chance I will end up getting something thats worse?

Associate
Got my 32" last Thursday, I am pretty happy with it. But dislike the flickering with Adaptive Sync On.
I found a small sub pixel fault a few days after, it's not the whole pixel and it's hard to see, but still annoy's me a little since it's brand new.
I contacted Samsung Scandinavia about it and they replied that the new panel should have no dead pixel's etc. Not sure what they are gonna do about it though.
I am also afraid I might get a new panel that has a dead pixel that's worse or more pixels, worse bleeding etc. But I guess I can just complain again then lol. I have 30 days free return if I want too, but I guess it doesn't matter if I return it and get a new one, or Samsung replacing it.

You can see the pixel fault here
https://imgur.com/s9M8iU6
Yeah it is small, but you can see it when watching youtube etc. It stays black all the time

What do u guy's think, should I have them fix it or is there a big chance I will end up getting something thats worse?

Mine is like this on my G9, i have a sub pixel fault too - i've worked out its the green sub pixel thats not working, as it dissapears on blue and red images. I am also not sure what to do and even hoping it rectifies itself somehow (have already tried tapping it and flashing software etc)...

As you say there are 28 days to request a return, so i am waiting for a week or so to see if it goes away... True that the next one might be worse and then you are locked into an endless quest for perfection and returning!

Associate
Got my 32" G7 yesterday (ordered on Sunday before it was in stock most places including here).

Coming from a 27" G-Sync (Hardware Module) 1800R Curve monitor that was basic but no real issues with.

To be honesty I am sitting here trying to like it as I have major flickering like many others are experiencing no matter what settings I try on or off, impossible to even watch a movie as it will stutter I assume due to fact the movie FPS will be lower than the 80-240hz range which is very high esp when the 27" G7 is 60-240hz (CRU shows mines as 60-144 for some reason) on latest Firmware.

Also found out the SDR Contrast is pretty low for any decent modern VA (should be at least 2500-3000) the new Gigabyte 32" Curved VA hit over 5400 in reviews after calibration.

HDR support in Windows 10 is poor and looks washed out and not too many games I own support it (none currently installed) and will not be ideal esp as you cannot set the monitor to 10bit (for HDR600) at 240hz and if you do set to 240hz your GPU will not full down-clock and if you use Nvidia Inspector to do so it will stutter watching videos like YouTube etc.

I have zero dead pixels and back-light bleed on empty screen looks ok with little brighter at edges and in YT HDR/Local Dimming test videos with a white ball(s) moving around the local dimming made the rest of the screen look very black last night (daytime will look blacker anyhow).

Ideally I would prefer the new 1500R curve as 1000R is a bit much at first but time will tell.

How are you consuming the HDR content. The best way is to use Madvr with media player classic, it's best in class as far as software goes. You also need good quality hdr source material.

Associate
Mine is like this on my G9, i have a sub pixel fault too - i've worked out its the green sub pixel thats not working, as it dissapears on blue and red images. I am also not sure what to do and even hoping it rectifies itself somehow (have already tried tapping it and flashing software etc)...

As you say there are 28 days to request a return, so i am waiting for a week or so to see if it goes away... True that the next one might be worse and then you are locked into an endless quest for perfection and returning!

I tried the same thing here, but it did not help. Yeah I guess you are right about that, the thing is though that Samsung already said it should be perfect. So then it's they're issue if I get another one that's not perfect :p

Associate
To be honesty I am sitting here trying to like it as I have major flickering like many others are experiencing no matter what settings I try on or off, impossible to even watch a movie as it will stutter I assume due to fact the movie FPS will be lower than the 80-240hz range which is very high esp when the 27" G7 is 60-240hz (CRU shows mines as 60-144 for some reason) on latest Firmware.

HDR support in Windows 10 is poor and looks washed out and not too many games I own support it (none currently installed) and will not be ideal esp as you cannot set the monitor to 10bit (for HDR600) at 240hz and if you do set to 240hz your GPU will not full down-clock and if you use Nvidia Inspector to do so it will stutter watching videos like YouTube etc.

Thats odd, unless theres a fault it surely shouldnt be flickering if adaptive sync is disabled? Also mine is running at 240hz 10bit and my GPU does downclock while doing it. What GPU do you have?

Also Windows Desktop looks a bit meh in HDR mode, but actual HDR content looks decent, about what I expected for a HDR600 monitor.

Associate
Should have a decent chunk of 32" landing on the 29th, and enough to fulfill all the early pre-orders of the 27".

Regarding rumours of a recall of the 49" I haven't had any official word from Samsung. I've chased them to request confirmation.

I'll keep everyone posted as and when I receive information.

Any ideas on shipments of 49"? :)

Associate
I tried the same thing here, but it did not help. Yeah I guess you are right about that, the thing is though that Samsung already said it should be perfect. So then it's they're issue if I get another one that's not perfect :p

Good point. Issue is though, can you get another screen easily? G9 is out of stock so if a return is made, you then go to the back of the queue through ordering one from somewhere else. Or have they said they have stock ready to send as a replacement specifically for customers with faults?

Associate
Good point. Issue is though, can you get another screen easily? G9 is out of stock so if a return is made, you then go to the back of the queue to order another from somewhere. Or have they said they have stock ready to send as a replacement specifically for customers with faults?

Well that's what I am afraid of. I am not sure if I have to send it back and get another one, or if they are sending a Samsung technician/repair guy out to replace it.
They asked me to fill out this service sheet, that included my address etc. If I have to send it back, I am gonna ask them if I can wait until they have them in stock again.
Atm I am waiting for them to write back in the email

Associate
Well that's what I am afraid of. I am not sure if I have to send it back and get another one, or if they are sending a Samsung technician/repair guy out to replace it.
They asked me to fill out this service sheet, that included my address etc. If I have to send it back, I am gonna ask them if I can wait until they have them in stock again.

Ok thanks for the info. Do report back what happens as i think a few people are in this boat and be good to know what the best approach is.

I'll do the same once i contact samsung.

Associate
Ok thanks for the info. Do report back what happens as i think a few people are in this boat and be good to know what the best approach is.

I'll do the same once i contact samsung.

Yeah will do :) I am not sure, but I guess a lot of people end up getting a new monitor with pixel faults these days. It might not be that much to care about, but when Samsung is telling me that it should not be like that, I kinda feel like it's worth having them fix it. And if the new panel also have pixel fault's etc, I can just complain again lol.

Permabanned
Thats odd, unless theres a fault it surely shouldnt be flickering if adaptive sync is disabled? Also mine is running at 240hz 10bit and my GPU does downclock while doing it. What GPU do you have?

Also Windows Desktop looks a bit meh in HDR mode, but actual HDR content looks decent, about what I expected for a HDR600 monitor.

Titan Xp (2017) it will stay at 1000-1400mhz core (I would need keep eye on it to be an exact number) instead of 139mhz < this is fine even at 200hz but not 240hz.

AFAIK my card can do 12bit (not sure if different Dev drivers) but I loose 10bit if I set it to 240hz and others noted the same.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How are you consuming the HDR content. The best way is to use Madvr with media player classic, it's best in class as far as software goes. You also need good quality hdr source material.

Not too fussed about HDR as Windows support is poor and if you read some of the reviews linked to in this thread you can see one guy said he did not even class this as proper HDR due to the cheap edge lit set up and lowish nits about 400ish which can only hit 600nits for a second or so during an explosion.

Associate
Thanks for the read all, has been interesting to follow along. I was late to the party with the pre-order and stupidly put loads of other stuff on the order too so it is all being held up for the G9.

Back
Top Bottom