• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI scalping their own 3080s on ebay, links included [REDDIT]

Associate
I think any company scalping their own cards are scum - it’s that simple and it isn’t any kind of “mistake” at all, they just got caught and are backtracking

Soldato
Amazing how many people on this thread have not read what actually happened and have got it so wrong. Dont you guys actually read the facts or just like to make it up or are just being sarcastic ?

All MSI are "guilty" of is accidentally putting the 3xxx's on their refurbished list.
All the Starlit Company is "guilty" of doing is then putting said items on Ebay for sale.
Both a simple but embarrassing mistake.

MSI DID NOT put them for sale on Ebay.

Staff at MSI and Starlit would be well aware that the 30xx series of cards are new, and as MSI pointed out, they shouldn’t be selling new products.

Hence, one of the following:

Staff are knowingly putting these up for sale

Staff are negligent, and don’t know their own trading rules

Staff are negligent and really didn’t know they were new products.

Regardless, there clear cause for blame, even if there wasn’t malicious intent.

Intuition would tell me that the staff knew exactly what they were doing, and thought they’d get away with selling just a few to improve cash flow/bonus.

Caporegime
Amazing how many people on this thread have not read what actually happened and have got it so wrong. Dont you guys actually read the facts or just like to make it up or are just being sarcastic ?

All MSI are "guilty" of is accidentally putting the 3xxx's on their refurbished list.
All the Starlit Company is "guilty" of doing is then putting said items on Ebay for sale.

Come off it, as if nobody at any point would have realised they can't possibly have 30 series cards that have been refurbished already when there are barely enough to fill current orders.

Associate
Feel kind of bad for ordering a Gaming X Trio now. I knew they were shady but didn't think this kind of thing went on in tech. I knew it happened in the music industry, maybe I'm just naive.

There is no way on Earth that the higher ups didn't know this happened. If it hadn't blown up it'd still be happening.

Associate
What makes you say that? How many cards were involved, it looks like a trifling number?
Others have put it much better than I could, but these are high margin items in absolutely unreal demand. I really don't think an official partner would take the decision to do this without the green light from someone at MSI. How would they get access to the inventory?

As much as everyone detests it, this model has (and still is, or was before the Rona at least) been used to great success in the live music business. This reeks of MSI wanting to dip their toe in to the old "dynamic pricing" model.

Associate
Looks like MSI have been caught with their pants down starlit got access to stock that they should not have yeah right no wonder their is no stock dodgy companies putting them on Ebay.

Soldato
My thoughts exactly.

a) I'd doubt a vendor has the time to be pulling the odd GPU from stock to sell on ebay
b) Vendors make their money from selling mass volume. Selling a dozen cards on ebay for a few hundred dollars more than MSRP is hardly going to make a dent in their margins
c) Scalper implies they bought a card from a retailer with the intention of selling it on ebay for more money - if that was the case why wouldn't they just pull a number of cards from their own stockpile for ebay rather than sending them to a retailer/distributor.
Just read the content and the twitter feed etc. The retailer behind the company selling the card is MSI. MSI even owned up that the company is legit ie they are dealing with this retailer and this specific retailer is part of MSI business group and they usual deal with excess stock rather rather than in demand stock. MSI doesn’t know how it happened.

Soldato
If you read the apology its not MSI its a separate company working as a partner. They will have had to sign contracts etc to qualify as such and by an error with the MSI product list for refurbishments the Starlit company had access to MSI items they shouldnt have.

you have no idea what you are taking about. Starlit is a SUBSIDIARY company of MSI. That means it is OWNED by MSI. Two different companies - yes, but money made goes to the same people controlling the company.

Your entire post reeks of MSI rep talk. Are you paid by MSI to do social media work or something? Try to flip black into white.

Soldato

You are on form buddy. You previous post is saying starlit is not part of MSI and pulled out a load of other crap about other companies. Now you are not acknowledging MSI and Starlit are one and the same but using the MSI apology as your go to for dismissing it.

as your previous post said. Starlit and MSI would have a contract setting out the premise of what they can get hold off and how they are to sell these on etc etc.

a) how does starlit get their hands on a load of 3080 when they are only meant to handle “excessive inventory”

b) suppose it is a mistake at MSI inventory, as a long term reseller of MSI stock who deals solely in computer tech, how does Starlit doesn’t realise that the 3080 is brand new stock and not excess and they don’t check in with MSI to ensure they don’t breach their contract by selling it on

3) assuming Starlit doesn’t check in with MSI and sells them At a price they fancy. How do you suppose the MSI stock inventory checking system would say when a batch of brand new just off the conveyor belt 3080 cards instead of going to fulfilment to retail partners or regional distributors has instead gone to its own subsidiary for resell clearly in violation of their contract terms as such event should never happen.

on any of the above event, things will only turn out as they are right now if there is a human wilfulness in doing the WRONG thing. Clearly MSI and its subsidiary have put profit before doing the right thing. I think they are trying it on to see if they can get away with it. If they didn’t get caught I suspect the next batch listing on eBay will have a load more cards.

and as for you, please let us know who you work for...is it Starlit or MSI?

Associate

It is now being reported that Starlit was selling 2080's at launch also so it is not the first time this has happened, just the first time they got caught. Someone in MSI knew exactly waht was going on at Starlit most certainly did. Shady practise, wont be buying from them again.

Back
Top Bottom