• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5950X low single core scores in Cinebench R15&R20

Associate
jMh7Jmk

Added r20 screenshot. Would really appreciate some help on this. Waited an age for the chip and then it's performance is terrible

Use F31j UEFI / BIOS, set PBO & curve optimisation to:

Advanced:
  • PBO Limits = Motherboard (some folk say 300 / 300 / 300 but it will be capped anyway to your motherboards supported values)
  • Curve Optimizer = All Cores, Negative, 5
  • Max CPU Boost override = 200Mhz
You may find this is unstable, this could be temps or too much undervolt. 5950x spikes very high, very quickly. 16 cores needs *very* good cooling to reach the max overclocks / perf envelope. If you have unstable bench and your temps are OK you'll likely have to apply some CPU load line calibration - too little LLC and the undervolts might lead to stability issues because it will combine with vdroop. Too high and the temps will spike higher and faster than most cooling could cope with.

Not enough LLC with undervolts in the optimizer and high core boost override and you'll get black screen crashes, the CPU is basically immediately shutting down due to lack of power. This will be logged as a critical event, "Kernel-Power", event ID 41

You'll have throttling if cores spike above 90c regularly - folks getting good r20/23 scores on the 5950x are seeing mid to high 80's in temp. This is with custom loops or the current best performing AIO (Arctic freezer). Again, too much boost override and a high LLC could see vary quick temp spikes and in extreme cases a CPU halt for safety.

EDITS - typos, clarity etc

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The review samples getting 640-650 were just mega binned for single thread. Also nobody is getting retail cpus that can do that. I have both 5600 and 5900x and neither can do 5.1 single core on stock like some review samples were doing.

Not really, with the new beta bios from Asus I have much better scores. Also I keep 5050-5100 for longer in single treads,. here is a screenshot from R23, compared to the last bios results are far better with same settings apart from CO -10.

Asus 570X-P bios versions - 2802/12

5950X Stock+PBO, RAM 4x8GB @3600MHz 16-16-16-36 1T

Multi 27743 pts
Single 1580 pts

k3fQTW0.png

And the new beta bios 2816:

Multi 29581 pts
Single 1648 pts

nygHtuf.jpg

Associate
@Cenuij Thanks for the advice. I'll try it and see if I can get improvements. Was watching buildzoid livestream whilst he was OCing a 5950x today and he was doing very similar steps to what you've recommended. I hope it's just gigabyte's bios being naff. Apparently AMD don't give mfrs much time with the chips to properly optimise bios. Hopefully revisions down the line will improve performance. Even though it's low scores in R20 I'm still very pleased with this chip and the 6800xt I was so lucky to get at launch. I have to remind myself not to get too hung up on benchmarking performance vs enjoying the games! Doesn't help that overclocking is one of the few things I can do that I enjoy during lockdown and seeing other people hitting +5Ghz on multiple cores is very frustrating even though I'm pleased for them.

Soldato
Not really, with the new beta bios from Asus I have much better scores. Also I keep 5050-5100 for longer in single treads,. here is a screenshot from R23, compared to the last bios results are far better with same settings apart from CO -10.

Asus 570X-P bios versions - 2802/12

And the new beta bios 2816:

Multi 29581 pts
Single 1648 pts
they were getting those scores on the old bios though XD not new ones.

Associate
OP
You are getting into the conspiracy theory realm which is not existent :). A friend of mine got a review sample from AMD, mine runs better :) (on his sponsored Godlike MB), so that's that. Mother board support is a different story and Asus sucks for this. All of the initial reviews were done on high end Gygabyte,MSI and Asus. That's why I got so frustrated with my results not matching others. All is bios/motherboard support nothing else.

Buildzoid rambles far too much, probably its an age thing.

Soldato
Im at work so cant post screens, i got my 5950X on friday afternoon...
Specs in sig...

PBO set to Motherboard everything else set to Auto and Curve set to Negative 20.
Max CPU core speed is 5040 in HWINFO. Cinebench R20 single core speed was around 629, boost hit 4.9ghz on one or two cores during that run.
Seems to be getting similar scores to what ive seen on here but my FSB shows as 99.8 instead of 100, ive tried turning off spread spectrum as suggested elsewhere but made no difference, anyone else got a Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570... do you see the same thing, HWNFO and CPU-Z both show 99.80 for the FSB, the BLCK and FLCK are showing correctly as 1800 but ram speed in HWNFO and CPU-Z again show low at 1797mhz?

Associate
OP
Im at work so cant post screens, i got my 5950X on friday afternoon...
Specs in sig...

PBO set to Motherboard everything else set to Auto and Curve set to Negative 20.
Max CPU core speed is 5040 in HWINFO. Cinebench R20 single core speed was around 629, boost hit 4.9ghz on one or two cores during that run.
Seems to be getting similar scores to what ive seen on here but my FSB shows as 99.8 instead of 100, ive tried turning off spread spectrum as suggested elsewhere but made no difference, anyone else got a Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570... do you see the same thing, HWNFO and CPU-Z both show 99.80 for the FSB, the BLCK and FLCK are showing correctly as 1800 but ram speed in HWNFO and CPU-Z again show low at 1797mhz?

Dont worry its normal, mine some starts is 100 solid some hovering around 99-100.

Try CO -5 - -10, on the X570-P over that needs + offset over 0.050v. I also use CPU-Z bench for faster overview of good settings. My overall scores are 695 and 13150 which represents the above R23 results.

Soldato
Cheers bongo78

I know the .2 wont make a big difference but my OCD hates seeing 1797mhz for the ram.. its uneven, but the bios shows FSB 100.14 to 100.24.. its like something in windows is messing the numbers up as even the core speeds are odd, like 5041mhz or 4766mhz during a bench, should be round numbers. Ive tried the FSB on Auto and set to 100, made no difference, even tried 101 but system would not even boot after that which is odd, did the same thing with my old 3700x in as well and it ran 102FSB on my old MSI B450 Tomahawk previously, im thinking its a bios issue and hoping the next update will fix it.

Ive been using the CPU-Z test for quicker checks :), using it i had already tested CO -15, then -20 and even -30... it power cycled on the -30 run but i found i got a better score for both single and multi with CO -20.. 667.1 and around 12995, only slightly better than the -15 run that got around 660 and 12953.

Associate
OP
Low single again :(, hope your next bios fixes that.

My settings:

PBO with motherboard limits
CO -10 (positive offset 0.03125 just for safety, bellow -15 needs too much positive offset to be stable seems CO brings voltage to low at higher settings, still using the Arctik 360 cant handle 240w too well)
Scalar X10
+200Mhz
LLCs set to Extreme, 350
Everything else on Auto.

Associate
The review samples getting 640-650 were just mega binned for single thread. Also nobody is getting retail cpus that can do that. I have both 5600 and 5900x and neither can do 5.1 single core on stock like some review samples were doing.
Review samples were paired with motherboards and bios versions where everything worked as expected. This topic seems to be connected to MB and BIOS most of all.

And no review was hitting 5.1 on stock. Most reviews saw single core boost exceed listed boost speed by 140-150MHz. So for 5600X stock up to 4750MHz, 5900X stock 4950MHz

LLCs set to Extreme, 350
No need for that, put it on the most relaxed setting
Best case it makes no difference, worst case extreme LLC may tank multicore performance.

Associate
I have an ASUS Strix X570 E motherboard, so I am not totally sure your board will have the same settings, but if they do then do this and it should fix the scores. It did for me and I was getting way below the multi and single threaded scores I should have been, now I am in line with what reviewers are getting.

Search the BIOS for the option 'Performance Enhancer' and set it to default. BIOS default setting puts it to auto, which seems to do something terrible to voltage and causes CPU to throttle clocks. Next setting is PBO Fmax Enhancer, which I disable. It seemed to lower my single core score with it on auto or enabled. Once those two settings are set correctly, the only thing I did was put PBO to enable, set Max CPU Boost Clock to 200Mhz and enable DOCP so my memory was running its rated speed. All other settings in the BIOS were completely default.

I hope this works for you like it did me.

Associate
I have a 5900X on an Asus Prime X570-P. Using the latest 2816 BIOS i got between 610 & 625 single core Cinebench R20 scores. Best scores were achieved on 2802 BIOS.

Soldato
You are getting into the conspiracy theory realm which is not existent :). A friend of mine got a review sample from AMD, mine runs better :) (on his sponsored Godlike MB), so that's that. Mother board support is a different story and Asus sucks for this. All of the initial reviews were done on high end Gygabyte,MSI and Asus. That's why I got so frustrated with my results not matching others. All is bios/motherboard support nothing else.

Buildzoid rambles far too much, probably its an age thing.
Review samples are quite often binned to be good. I don't really see how this is a conspiracy. It's well known XD. I tried 2 beta bios and did not get scores as high as the reviews were. There was 1 bios where you could get 2000fclk quite easily with auto settings, but if you looked at the pll voltage you can quite clearly see why they can't do 2000fclk in the official release bios.

Associate
OP
I have an ASUS Strix X570 E motherboard, so I am not totally sure your board will have the same settings, but if they do then do this and it should fix the scores. It did for me and I was getting way below the multi and single threaded scores I should have been, now I am in line with what reviewers are getting.

Search the BIOS for the option 'Performance Enhancer' and set it to default. BIOS default setting puts it to auto, which seems to do something terrible to voltage and causes CPU to throttle clocks. Next setting is PBO Fmax Enhancer, which I disable. It seemed to lower my single core score with it on auto or enabled. Once those two settings are set correctly, the only thing I did was put PBO to enable, set Max CPU Boost Clock to 200Mhz and enable DOCP so my memory was running its rated speed. All other settings in the BIOS were completely default.

I hope this works for you like it did me.

Thank you!!!

That gave me another boost :) . Asus does suck ass bios wise, when you have to disable "performance improvement options" to get better performance :)

PBO Enable motherboard limits, CurveOptimizer set to -15 on best cores and -10 on rest, +100Mhz, Scalar x4, LLC set to default, voltage set to auto, Performance Enhancer - default, PBO Fmax - disable.

Gi3kZVK.jpg

CINEBENCH-R20-CPU-Single-Core-643.jpg

PBO 300/220/240 limits, Curve Optimizer set to -15 on best cores and -10 on rest, +50Mhz, Scalar x10, LLC set to default, voltage set to auto, Performance Enhancer - default, PBO Fmax - disable.

And finally some good results without overclock or voltage. Cant wait for the cpu block to arrive to see what this CPU can do with a sub ambient chiller cooling :)

YfgMyIF.png

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you!!!

That gave me another boost :) . Asus does suck ass bios wise, when you have to disable "performance improvement options" to get better performance :)

PBO Enable motherboard limits, CurveOptimizer set to -15 on best cores and -10 on rest, +100Mhz, Scalar x4, LLC set to default, voltage set to auto, Performance Enhancer - default, PBO Fmax - disable.

Gi3kZVK.jpg

CINEBENCH-R20-CPU-Single-Core-643.jpg

PBO 300/220/240 limits, Curve Optimizer set to -15 on best cores and -10 on rest, +50Mhz, Scalar x10, LLC set to default, voltage set to auto, Performance Enhancer - default, PBO Fmax - disable.

And finally some good results without overclock or voltage. Cant wait for the cpu block to arrive to see what this CPU can do with a sub ambient chiller cooling :)

YfgMyIF.png
I am having the same scores you did prior to these changes I am using a Aorus master/5950x tho but there is no Performance enhancer option in the bios to disable :( it apparently is asus only. I tried your other settings you changed for these new scores and my performance was way worse. Your cinebench R20 score of 625-630 single thread is identical to what im getting. I've spend 4 days 8+ hours a day trying to find optimal settings to increase the performance of this chip and can't surpass default settings by more than 10 points which brings me to about 625-630 R20 single.

Associate
I am having the same scores you did prior to these changes I am using a Aorus master/5950x tho but there is no Performance enhancer option in the bios to disable :( it apparently is asus only. I tried your other settings you changed for these new scores and my performance was way worse. Your cinebench R20 score of 625-630 single thread is identical to what im getting. I've spend 4 days 8+ hours a day trying to find optimal settings to increase the performance of this chip and can't surpass default settings by more than 10 points which brings me to about 625-630 R20 single.

@LastRights I've an Aorus Master with 5950x check these slides as a starter: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...volting-option-for-ryzen-5000-processors.html

Associate
OP
Hah 4 days you say, I got the CPU on launch day, spent over 20 of the 25 days...... Finally I am happy, it was a struggle when no one else got my config to start with. This mobo has seen more resets then seconds in a hour :) . This CPU is unbelievable compared to my old 3950X, I browse, render, play an AAA game in the background and some youtube on the side. Hope to get 5ghz all core with some proper cooling, then it will be full happiness .

Associate
OP
Finally I am a happy bunny :)

Could not wait anymore for delivery and got a very cheap chinese water block, together with my 1hp chiller, results are promising. Everything on AUTO+PBO+CO -10

wYe4FRW.png

Associate
I think I crapped out on the silicon for mine. I’m unstable using 1900 FLCK (it’s fine when it boots, but turning the computer on is hit and miss) on my Asus Crosshair VIII Dark hero. 2000 won’t even post.

Thinking about just buying another.

Back
Top Bottom