• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How log till MSRP ?

Associate
If people didn't buy at these prices then they wouldn't get away with charging them. It amazes me the prices that some people are paying on auction sites as well as retail. I have seen people pay more for a 2060 or 6700xt on an auction site than it is available at retail, taking a risk that it isn't faulty or going to break soon, when they could get a 3 year warranty by buying retail

Really? I’d seriously like to know where your supply is then. I’ve been actively trying to secure a 6800XT or more recently a 3080ti for a couple of months, with zero success. The odd card has appeared in retail channels that haven’t sold immediately, but those have been anything between £1,800 and nearly £3,000. Some are currently listed around £1,500 but not in stock. 3080ti FEs are a lottery, and sold out in minutes.

I’m reluctant to buy on eBay, but see prices below the accessible retail stock.

if you know where to get either of these cards readily available below £1,200 I’d be very interested!!! That is a rhetorical question btw, as I don’t think such a thing exists and don’t expect anyone to point to competitors on here. I’d rather wait for one from OCUK too.

Associate
5th October 2021.

I think we're in for a few months more of this jizzle. It's going to happen on a Tuesday and the gaming world will rejoice !

You really think GPU prices will drop a lot in a few months?
The old market saying is the cure for high prices is higher prices.
How will they overcome the GPU shortage in such a short amount of time, NOT enough new cards to go around.

Associate
Really? I’d seriously like to know where your supply is then. I’ve been actively trying to secure a 6800XT or more recently a 3080ti for a couple of months, with zero success. The odd card has appeared in retail channels that haven’t sold immediately, but those have been anything between £1,800 and nearly £3,000. Some are currently listed around £1,500 but not in stock. 3080ti FEs are a lottery, and sold out in minutes.

I’m reluctant to buy on eBay, but see prices below the accessible retail stock.

if you know where to get either of these cards readily available below £1,200 I’d be very interested!!! That is a rhetorical question btw, as I don’t think such a thing exists and don’t expect anyone to point to competitors on here. I’d rather wait for one from OCUK too.

Several 6800xt sitting at £1200 at the high street 2nd hand shop with 2 year warranty (although terms and conditions apply), so well below £1800 to £3000. Big well known high street were selling 6800xt at £1000 this morning, £600 6700xt reference was up for hours and they had a 2060. I could easily buy for below what some people are paying on auction sites

Last edited:
Associate
My guess would be: when intel brings new gpu to market and it will be reasonably powerful. Competition in gpu market sux at the moment.

I doubt it would change the GPU market in any meaningful way, simply 3 competitors instead of 2.
If you're hoping for a big price drop for GPUs due to this don't hold your breath.
How will they overcome the GPU shortage, NOT enough new cards to go around even with Intel in there.

Associate
Under the terms of the site I am not allowed to say. 6700xt was for sale at £600 this morning for several hours at a well known retailer, 2060 was also up, they also advertise a price match promise and usually free delivery.

Point is they only have a handful of these in stock NOT like previous years when the would have had 50 or more in stock.

Associate
A 6700XT is not a 6800XT by any stretch of the imagination, and yes these have been reasonably easy to lay your hands on for a week or two now.

And although ‘several hours’ may be more than a few minutes, it still makes it pot luck to get one. I’m somewhat surprised too, if what you say is accurate - I have both Telegram and Discord alerts, and the only 6800XTs I’ve seen today were XFX at circa £1,600+. These lasted a while, but are now gone.

Added to that, unless you actually bought one at the price you say you saw, the reality of its existence must still be in doubt.

Soldato
Some positive news here..

I managed to snag a 3080ti for MSRP. Lucky I guess, but kept on looking all the big sites regularly.

should be here Tuesday, will update with pics when it arrives!

well happy!!

Associate
A 6700XT is not a 6800XT by any stretch of the imagination, and yes these have been reasonably easy to lay your hands on for a week or two now.

And although ‘several hours’ may be more than a few minutes, it still makes it pot luck to get one. I’m somewhat surprised too, if what you say is accurate - I have both Telegram and Discord alerts, and the only 6800XTs I’ve seen today were XFX at circa £1,600+. These lasted a while, but are now gone.

Don't think I said anything about a 6800xt in my original post, you bought it up, not me. It proves my point though that you have seen all the 6800xt on stock alerts at £1600+ sell out, but there are several 6800xt sitting at the 2nd handshop often mentioned on here at £1200, so people are overpaying when they can get them at cheaper places, which is only encouraging listing cards at high prices

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You really think GPU prices will drop a lot in a few months?
The old market saying is the cure for high prices is higher prices.
How will they overcome the GPU shortage in such a short amount of time, NOT enough new cards to go around.

I don't believe the demand is at the same level now with mining profitability waning the value of the cards is significantly less, this dissuades scalpers (especially with the current retail pricing), second hand prices will drop, there's 1000s of RTX 30 series cards at silly prices (over 600 listings for 3060's alone), same with 20 series. Maybe miners start selling cards to get CMP HX. Just as quickly as it started I hope it will end.

Associate
Don't think I said anything about a 6800xt in my original post, you bought it up, not me. It proves my point though that you have seen all the 6800xt on stock alerts at £1600+ sell out, but there are several 6800xt sitting at the 2nd handshop often mentioned on here at £1200, so people are overpaying when they can get them at cheaper places, which is only encouraging listing cards at high prices

Several 6800xt sitting at £1200 at the high street 2nd hand shop with 2 year warranty (although terms and conditions apply), so well below £1800 to £3000. Big well known high street were selling 6800xt at £1000 this morning, £600 6700xt reference was up for hours and they had a 2060. I could easily buy for below what some people are paying on auction sites

You responded to my reply saying I was looking for a 6800XT, to I naturally assumed your reply was reference that. Otherwise it’s not a very relevant reply.

Your point that I originally replied to claims that people were buying scalped/auction GPUs above what they were available in the retail channel new (ie with a 3 year warranty). My point was that many cards (particularly the models I’m looking for) are close to impossibly to find retail without paying stupidly high prices, unless you are very very lucky with timing..

Associate
You responded to my reply saying I was looking for a 6800XT, to I naturally assumed your reply was reference that. Otherwise it’s not a very relevant reply.

Your point that I originally replied to claims that people were buying scalped/auction GPUs above what they were available in the retail channel new (ie with a 3 year warranty). My point was that many cards (particularly the models I’m looking for) are close to impossibly to find retail without paying stupidly high prices, unless you are very very lucky with timing..

Why are they only available at higher prices than retail, because some people are buying from scalpers. I have yet to meet a scalper who buys with the intention of selling at a loss!! Its not hard to check on the website of the high street chain in the morning when most people wake up, a 6700xt was sitting there at £600 this morning

Associate
Why are they only available at higher prices than retail, because some people are buying from scalpers. I have yet to meet a scalper who buys with the intention of selling at a loss!! Its not hard to check on the website of the high street chain in the morning when most people wake up, a 6700xt was sitting there at £600 this morning

Scalpers exist due to supply problems, so yes they are a symptom of the problem but the underlying cause of the problem is to a great extent due to the current global supply chain crisis that is impacting most industries. This is very well documented. For GPUs the mining explosion has added to the problem. This is not going to resolve itself very quickly. I wish it would, as I might get the card I’m looking for more easily then.

Associate
I don't believe the demand is at the same level now with mining profitability waning the value of the cards is significantly less, this dissuades scalpers (especially with the current retail pricing), second hand prices will drop, there's 1000s of RTX 30 series cards at silly prices (over 600 listings for 3060's alone), same with 20 series. Maybe miners start selling cards to get CMP HX. Just as quickly as it started I hope it will end.

Being a retired trader I watched bitcoin crash and serve these clowns right for trading into a Ponzi scheme kamikaze style and using up tons of gaming GPUs which could have been in the hands of gamers. Now they will have to sell the cards to get back some losses, this should ease the supply a bit but the number of people wanting a next gen DXR capable card is still huge.
Prices may drop slightly towards the end of the year BUT I'm predicting all 3 of the major US stock markets will fall for the final time so this will affect all markets including GPU if the mighty US bubbles start bursting.

Associate
Point is the more people buy from scalpers the more there will be none in stock as scalpers will buy them up for the profit

Yeah right scalpers are getting them but they wouldn't touch them if there was enough supply, we just have way too many gamers wanting a new next gen card.
Some stores are limiting to 1 card per customer so that should help a bit.

Soldato
Yeah right scalpers are getting them but they wouldn't touch them if there was enough supply, we just have way too many gamers wanting a new next gen card.
Some stores are limiting to 1 card per customer so that should help a bit.
I find it odd that so many are choosing now to upgrade their cards when it's literally the worse time ever to buy a GPU. It's hassle to find them, prices are sky high and the performance sucks for the price your paying with any AIB cards.

Soldato
BUT I'm predicting all 3 of the major US stock markets will fall for the final time

Thats a pretty big statement, what information or basis do you have for this?

I do agree in general though with your post, I think the optimistic opinions of some that almost like a flick of a light switch and boom 1000's of graphics card in stock at RRP is just not going to happen.

I've been watching the GPU market closely since the start of the year. It's quite sad because I got lucky a few Fridays back with OCUKs forum members deal, yet it's almost like an addiction now as I've signed up to stock alerts and check various retailers and prices, I can't help myself.

The situation has got worse through the year, with May really being the peak, but in June things have improved.

But....... it's only a very gradual improvement, and actually over the last week I haven't seen any real progress.

Permabanned
Thats a pretty big statement, what information or basis do you have for this?

I do agree in general though with your post, I think the optimistic opinions of some that almost like a flick of a light switch and boom 1000's of graphics card in stock at RRP is just not going to happen.

I've been watching the GPU market closely since the start of the year. It's quite sad because I got lucky a few Fridays back with OCUKs forum members deal, yet it's almost like an addiction now as I've signed up to stock alerts and check various retailers and prices, I can't help myself.

The situation has got worse through the year, with May really being the peak, but in June things have improved.

But....... it's only a very gradual improvement, and actually over the last week I haven't seen any real progress.

Well, I suspect some people are stock piling GPUs, when the evidence is already showing that their price is reducing so . On the used market prices are likely to tumble, and I reckon big, as these are a year old electronic products , and the depreciation will add into the price.

Even the said shop discussed on here, offer £700 to buy 3080s, stock piling GPUs sounds like madness to me.

The improvement is a start! You can pretty much buy any GPU you want from some retailers now. I even saw 2 new AIB Palit 3090s go for £1,600 on an auction site!

So the GPU madness with prices is definitely reducing daily, Scalpers are going to loose out big :cry: and I'm sure there are many on this forum lurking or acting like they are gamers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom