LG 27GP850-B

Caporegime
Have noticed mine dim a little then get a tad brighter again...didnt think anything of it until you mentioned..mine dosnt seem to do it that often, well if it does then im not noticing but it did do it just now when surfing the net.
Ugh it's doing it continually now, over and over, every few seconds. What the heck is it? As you say it dims then gets brighter again. Always dims for a second then immediately jumps up to the brightness it was before.

If it keeps doing it it's going back. It's insanely jarring when I'm working or browsing or whatever.

Why are monitors so riddled with flaws these days :(

Associate
Ugh it's doing it continually now, over and over, every few seconds. What the heck is it? As you say it dims then gets brighter again. Always dims for a second then immediately jumps up to the brightness it was before.

If it keeps doing it it's going back. It's insanely jarring when I'm working or browsing or whatever.

That sucks, hope mine dosnt end up doing it all the time, i think mine only does it every now and then as i dont notice it very often, usually happens when im idle on a web page or something, never noticed it while gaming

Its not bothering me too much at the moment but if it was a constant thing then yeah...that would become annoying as hell!

Caporegime
That sucks, hope mine dosnt end up doing it all the time, i think mine only does it every now and then as i dont notice it very often, usually happens when im idle on a web page or something, never noticed it while gaming

Its not bothering me too much at the moment but if it was a constant thing then yeah...that would become annoying as hell!
Apparently it's the "Super Energy Saving" feature. Which appears to be a gimmick feature that dims your screen for a second to lower the energy usage by 1W per hour or something incredibly, ridiculously dumb. It's an "algorithm" apparently. Just in practice it appears to be a really terrible one :p

I'll be turning that one off, then :p

Associate
Apparently it's the "Super Energy Saving" feature. Which appears to be a gimmick feature that dims your screen for a second to lower the energy usage by 1W per hour or something incredibly, ridiculously dumb. It's an "algorithm" apparently. Just in practice it appears to be a really terrible one :p

I'll be turning that one off, then :p
How do you turn it off? im going to have to have a look lol

EDIT just found it and turned it off, mine was set to low

Associate

Try turn local dimming off works on my lg 27gp950

Caporegime
@Digital X (and everyone else)

Would really appreciate some more light bleed photos. I was considering ordering another one and just sending back the worst example, but it seems we've all the the exact same bleed/glow patterns and virtually the same intensity.

Seems it's a construction issue.

Other than that, really enjoying the move from 1080p/60 to 1440p/165. Even tho I've had to increase the text scaling to 125% (it's far too tiny otherwise). But not being able to see the pixels is just lovely, and the smoother scrolling and everything else.

Just a real shame about the bleed.

Permabanned
Soldato
I have fiddled with the settings on it, not sure if it's gonna do much if I reset to default.

P30 Pro camera, really over exposes it. Not sure how to alter that on the phone.

Been looking at fixes, from light pressure on the frame, to "massaging" it with microfibre cloths...

I've turned down the brightness now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh shoot yeah i was gonna do that before wasn't I. I'll take some now. My phone camera seems to make everything a bit brighter so it will look a bit worse than it actually is.

Light bleed test website:
https://i.imgur.com/75NjPLU.jpg

ETS2 at night:
https://i.imgur.com/Yjejirk.jpg
Thanks for that.

I don't think there's any point in me returning this one or gambling on getting another unit. They all seem to have the same (horrific) amount of bleed.

Sucks, huh. It's a real step down from my last screen which had almost none. Grrr.

I know I am used to OLED now and no bleed at all but that looks jarring!
It is very jarring. But what can you do? OLED isn't ideal as a monitor, or I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Soldato
Can someone with the 27" version confirm something... is the overdrive mode locked in sRGB mode? Or can you still select between, Normal, Fast, etc?

Its locked to fast.

Sorry I have the GL850, so reply is not valid. I would be surprised if it can be changed though, every single monitor review I have seen on HUB, the guy keeps telling the manufacturers to stop locking sRGB mode but they keep on doing it.

LG are not so bad as others though, brightness and contrast can still be adjusted along with a few other settings. On some brands sRGB is fully locked.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Having used/experienced the non-sRGB mode (over-saturated colours) for the first time, I've somewhat changed my mind and don't particularly care about colour accuracy (or sRGB mode/clamp).

Yeah it's not ideal, but it's not life-threatening :p Everything is a bit garish and gaudy, but I can live with it!

Soldato
I did seriously consider buying the sRGB version of this screen (was an identical model to the GL850 but was sRGB instead of extended colours), I ended up with this one as I seen it as future proofing.

I ended up keeping the default mode in windows and just dropping saturation in nvidia CP, on console I change to sRGB mode.

Soldato
Unfortunately had to send back my 32GP850. :(

Only a week old and noticed some pixels starting to die and get stuck and developed a nasty brightness flicker. :confused:

I'll miss the screen real estate however all is not lost as I've just ordered the 27GP850. :cool:

Thankfully these are on a BF deal!

Associate
Unfortunately had to send back my 32GP850. :(

Only a week old and noticed some pixels starting to die and get stuck and developed a nasty brightness flicker. :confused:

I'll miss the screen real estate however all is not lost as I've just ordered the 27GP850. :cool:

Thankfully these are on a BF deal!
Nice, i LOVE mine, im quite lucky with mine also as have hardly any bleed, brill monitor, i use vivid setting for gaming as find it the best, the fake hdr setting is good also but a bit to bright for me for long gaming sessions

Hope you enjoy it as much as i am :)

Caporegime
Nice, i LOVE mine, im quite lucky with mine also as have hardly any bleed, brill monitor, i use vivid setting for gaming as find it the best, the fake hdr setting is good also but a bit to bright for me for long gaming sessions

Hope you enjoy it as much as i am :)
You should (if you want) post some pics of a black screen in the dark, to show bleed and glow.

I'd be super interested in seeing them. All the examples I've seen to date have had the exact same amount of bleed and glow, or near as dammit, as they say.

Associate
You should (if you want) post some pics of a black screen in the dark, to show bleed and glow.

I'd be super interested in seeing them. All the examples I've seen to date have had the exact same amount of bleed and glow, or near as dammit, as they say.
Tried to post some pics the other day of the bleed for you to see, but couldnt work out how, think you have to upload them to another site to post them and im not on such a site

Soldato

Whenever I took a pic of my screen, it wasnt realistic, it looked (not a little, but much brighter) brighter than to the naked eye, I assume over exposure of camera. Because of this I expect most photos I see are also not realistic.

However what I will say I use the same brightness as rtings which is "21", but the majority of people seem to crank up the brightness as they want it show room type of brightness, and high brightness on IPS screens is really going to hurt on things like IPS glow and dark scenes.

Caporegime
I have my brightness on 5 and contrast on 80. Partly to minimise the glow/bleed.

I used brightness 20 and contrast 70 to take my screenshots.

The default brightness was 40 and contrast was 70.

Back
Top Bottom