** SAMSUNG 4K 240/165HZ ODYSSEY NEO G8/G7 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Damn this monitor is sweet. BTW there are scan-lines at 240 Hz.

10-bit color works at 240 Hz.

None of my DP cables would work, I had to use the short thick DP cable included. Going to have to buy a fiber optic DP cable looks like.

The testing continues!

682487_20220623_112105.jpg

Associate
Damn this monitor is sweet. BTW there are scan-lines at 240 Hz.

10-bit color works at 240 Hz.

None of my DP cables would work, I had to use the short thick DP cable included. Going to have to buy a fiber optic DP cable looks like.

The testing continues!

682487_20220623_112105.jpg
What spec PC are you testing it with out of curiosity?

Associate
So this thing has MBR (strobing) at both refresh rates (120/240). Not very good though, I just stick to VRR.

Also, this is the first curved monitor I've had that has "wings". I mean, the center is curved but then the ends/sides straighten out flat as a pancake for about 4-5 inches. Pretty distracting. Screws with your brain not seeing a constant curve. Looks like like a butterfly affect.

Soldato
So this thing has MBR (strobing) at both refresh rates (120/240). Not very good though, I just stick to VRR.

Also, this is the first curved monitor I've had that has "wings". I mean, the center is curved but then the ends/sides straighten out flat as a pancake for about 4-5 inches. Pretty distracting. Screws with your brain not seeing a constant curve. Looks like like a butterfly affect.

Can you take a photo of this? Thanks

Associate
@NikTheSHNIK If it is possible can you please give a little more information on the warranty of the monitors. The US site says 1 year labour and parts. But wondered if it was different in the UK. And I can’t even see the monitors on the Samsung UK site. Thank you.

Associate
Just a quick summary of pro's and con's for the monitor in my testing:

Pro's:
32" 4K is a nice sweet spot size
240 Hz at 4K is incredible. Motion clarity in my testing around 4ms MPRT. Among the fastest I've seen. 240 Hz motion clarity a tad better than the AW34 OLED at 175 Hz.
Nice/futuristic looking monitor case
Color volume is pretty good
Native VA contrast ratio works fairly well even with the FALD turned off
Whites are really white (better than my OLEDs)
My unit is pixel perfect
No fan/noise

Wash:
Soft membrane type small button OSD controls under center of monitor not the easiest to use for people with large hands
HMDI ports only work at 4K/120 Hz. Read mentions of updating firmware to get them to work at 4K/240 Hz. I put this as a wash as it doesn't matter to me/I don't use consoles.

Con's:
Scan lines on certain colors are quite obvious. Once you see them, your brain is always looking for them.
Sparkle in AR film
Front of monitor bezel/case is kind of chunky/cheapish feeling/looking
FALD algorithm to hide blooming is pretty aggressive at diming not only small highlights, but the overall image. Blooming is not as bad as something like the PG32UQX, but it's still noticeable in a lot of scenes.
HDR highlights can get up to ~1,000 nits, but works much better on larger HDR bright light sources as small ones like stars and fireworks are dimmed way down by the algorithm to reduce blooming. Small/bright HDR highlights WAY better on an OLED. HDR images on the G8 are pretty good for bright HDR scenes but fall quite behind OLED for more of the more difficult/dark stuff.
Really wonky curve that accomplishes the entire monitor curve in the middle 50% of the panel and then the 25% on either end are flat. Messes with your brain. When comparing directly next to the AW34 OLED that has a constant curve (and not as small of a curve radius), the curved OLED looks way more natural and appealing.
Panel uniformity
LCD panel radiates a noticeable amount of heat out the front and my sample unit has a potent "electronics smell".

Still testing between the G8/AW34 OLED/42C2 OLED. But I think the 42C2 leading the pack at the moment.

Associate
Great info as ever Vega :)
Probably as good as LCD can go. No match for OLED of course, but may be good enough for many, thats afriad of OLED!

The disgusting curve and LCD tech limitations - that Still there (expected more, but time to let it go) as since going CX there is absolutely no way I can / will go back to LCD - even as a desktop gaming monitor!

Only way forward is OLED, but will sit tight still. Game on my CX 55 and love my PG279Q for work etc!

Will wait for more options -OLED Only - to use a strictly gaming monitor. I can wait, no problem. As the AW does nothing for me. Will never go UW. Big 16:9 - 32 and up for me only!

Associate
Thank you for the post @Vega . I am still constantly second guessing myself over those 3 monitors. I have the AW3423DW on order but can’t expect delivery till October and was looking at biting the bullet on the Neo G7 but have heard a few bad reports especially about scan lines, flickering and bad QC. It seems to be very much a monitor lottery with Samsung. Also worried about the warranty time on the Neo G7. At least Dell gives a 3 year warranty which includes burn in. And then the C2 which I am worried about how big it is being on a desk. As I would probably be around 70cm from the screen which I think then would be too close. But then would mean finding a floor monitor stand as I won’t be able to wall mount it.

I guess all monitors come with their pros and cons.

Caporegime
Waiting on the Asus 42in OLED myself @Vega , love the Alienware but I just can't get on with glossy screens (can't really control my lighting as much as I'd like). Coming with an AG coating and hopefully ABL eliminated :)

Back
Top Bottom