• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Soldato
@Gibbo can you please confirm which Founders cards allow cooler removal bar EVGA?

I assumed MSI allowed cooler removal (due to the sticky at the top of the graphics card section) but the card I just bought from you has a warranty void sticker on a screw. :(

Soldato
@Gibbo can you please confirm which Founders cards allow cooler removal bar EVGA?

I assumed MSI allowed cooler removal (due to the sticky at the top of the graphics card section) but the card I just bought from you has a warranty void sticker on a screw. :(

I know this is at Gibbo but regardless of the sticker MSI have allowed waterblocks on since the 7XX series cards as far as I am aware in the UK whilst still covering warranty. Just need to put the cooler back on if you need to RMA for any reason. This was confirmed by an email to MSI previous where they said that the sticker is generic but they are happy with waterblocks.

Soldato
No signal from card.

I didn't test it before fitting the waterblock so not sure if it was a DOA card or the fitting of the block that caused it.
I've got nothing to lose by sending it back, if they accept it, bonus I can either sell it on or dabble with SLI again, if not I have a nice desktop ornament ! :D

Why I always test mine prior to install. I've heard so many stories like yours.

Should be RMA'd fine I think, but for the time it takes to test on air saves a lot of hassle if the card is DOA.

Soldato
I know this is at Gibbo but regardless of the sticker MSI have allowed waterblocks on since the 7XX series cards as far as I am aware in the UK whilst still covering warranty. Just need to put the cooler back on if you need to RMA for any reason. This was confirmed by an email to MSI previous where they said that the sticker is generic but they are happy with waterblocks.

I hope you are right mate. I have reboxed the card to send back but also contacted msi for confirmation. Last thing I really want to do is void a £720 gpu, it was only a few weeks ago that my 6 week old asus mobo developed a fault so RMA's do happen.

Does anyone else's cards have warranty void stickers ie asus, gigabyt etc?

Soldato
I hope you are right mate. I have reboxed the card to send back but also contacted msi for confirmation. Last thing I really want to do is void a £720 gpu, it was only a few weeks ago that my 6 week old asus mobo developed a fault so RMA's do happen.

Does anyone else's cards have warranty void stickers ie asus, gigabyt etc?

Most of them do, Asus certainly did on the last one I had. My EVGA cards not of course mind. But again even going by the sticky in the GPU forum I would certainly suggest no issue to watercool. I know someone on another forum asked about the 1080 MSI ref card and MSI stated there that it was fine to do so.

Soldato
Most of them do, Asus certainly did on the last one I had. My EVGA cards not of course mind. But again even going by the sticky in the GPU forum I would certainly suggest no issue to watercool. I know someone on another forum asked about the 1080 MSI ref card and MSI stated there that it was fine to do so.

I have never had a warranty void sticker on any of my previous cards which were from Asus, Gigabyte and EVGA. Unless I am told by ocuk or MSI that it is ok to remove the cooler the card is going back, to me its just not worth the risk.

Soldato
I have never had a warranty void sticker on any of my previous cards which were from Asus, Gigabyte and EVGA. Unless I am told by ocuk or MSI that it is ok to remove the cooler the card is going back, to me its just not worth the risk.

That is fair enough, just sharing my previous. I have only had one ASUS product and it had the sticker. I wont use them again after RMA issues with said product. Stuck to EVGA since for piece of mind in regards to warranty when with Nvidia. AMD I just picked what was cheapest list time but will be looking to see in more detail this time once Vega drops to see how it compares and who best to go with then.

Edit: Never had a Gigabyte card to know for them. My XFX did but they also said it was fine for waterblock when I did one of those for a friend's rig. Sapphire did on a friends card also when I removed that to replace. So that is why I was suggesting as far as I am aware most do.

Times change of course :)

OcUK Staff
I shall check with Asus, as to be honest I cannot remember. EVGA cover removal.

MSI at the moment has terrible service, no idea what is going on there recently, so trying to get any kind of answer from anyone it like getting blood from a stone. :(

Soldato

MSI at the moment has terrible service, no idea what is going on there recently, so trying to get any kind of answer from anyone it like getting blood from a stone. :(

That interesting to note, is it because they concentrating on Ryzen and so they all on board that and forget they have other products or has it been prior to Ryzen stuff going on? If so I think I will be avoiding MSI. I may well come back to Asus since you now offer the 48 hour turn around direct which is excellent compared to the 6 weeks previous I had issues with.

Associate

MSI at the moment has terrible service, no idea what is going on there recently, so trying to get any kind of answer from anyone it like getting blood from a stone.

gibbo do you have any dates for the Sea hawk EK X 1080ti

Soldato
That is fair enough, just sharing my previous. I have only had one ASUS product and it had the sticker. I wont use them again after RMA issues with said product. Stuck to EVGA since for piece of mind in regards to warranty when with Nvidia. AMD I just picked what was cheapest list time but will be looking to see in more detail this time once Vega drops to see how it compares and who best to go with then.

Edit: Never had a Gigabyte card to know for them. My XFX did but they also said it was fine for waterblock when I did one of those for a friend's rig. Sapphire did on a friends card also when I removed that to replace. So that is why I was suggesting as far as I am aware most do.

Times change of course :)

No worries mate, I appreciate the input.

Cheers for posting Gibbo and thats not good to hear about MSI, I am sorry to say but I am going to be sending back one of your cards. :( Gutted.

OcUK Staff
gibbo do you have any dates for the Sea hawk EK X 1080ti

All brands, all custom cards are April onwards!

The only three companies who gave me dates:
Inno3D: Shipments end of March and they are very proud of their cooler, though X3/X4 was one of the best and quietest coolers on 1080, it never sold amazingly well because of 8+6 power and so many people think 8+8 power is better but really on this card, it makes little to no difference, more marketing.
Zotac: AMP & Extreme shipments early April!
Asus: Strix shipments early April (they do not want a repeat of 1080 launch). :)

This time round, Asus, EVGA, Inno3D and Zotac really seem very strong and have superb cards coming. :)

Associate

Inno3D: Shipments end of March and they are very proud of their cooler, though X3/X4 was one of the best and quietest coolers on 1080, it never sold amazingly well because of 8+6 power and so many people think 8+8 power is better but really on this card, it makes little to no difference, more marketing.
Asus: Strix shipments early April (they do not want a repeat of 1080 launch). :)

This time round, Asus, EVGA, Inno3D and Zotac really seem very strong and have superb cards coming. :)

shame, would have probably been tempted if you came back with early April for the EK X.. as it seems a decent price given a FE and waterblock etc costs around the same

:(

Man of Honour
and so many people think 8+8 power is better but really on this card, it makes little to no difference, more marketing.

Some people seemed to be under the impression a BIOS was coming that would enable performance/power levels that would require 8+8 for some reason - yeah more consumer perception than actual technical potential.

Associate

What did go on with the ASUS 1080 launch? did there robots screw up the cards :)

Caporegime
What did go on with the ASUS 1080 launch? did there robots screw up the cards :)

They went for the highest overclock for bragging rights then found that they could only make about 10 cards a day which passed tests and had about 10k pre orders to fulfill. Whereas if they had jsut done a normal compnent card with a decent cooler they could have made them by the bucketload withing a week or so and they would have been just as fast.

Associate
They went for the highest overclock for bragging rights then found that they could only make about 10 cards a day which passed tests and had about 10k pre orders to fulfill. Whereas if they had jsut done a normal compnent card with a decent cooler they could have made them by the bucketload withing a week or so and they would have been just as fast.

Thanks for the explanation i heard it was the cooler fitted wrong but i guess not. Just give us those TI´S AIB :) i have a spare GTX 1060 in my rig but it needs the TI fast i already sold a kidney so all and all :p

Back
Top Bottom