The Evil Within 2 (Friday 13th October 2017!!!)

Man of Honour
"Disappointing" , seems to be summing up my most wanted titles this year. Its a word I've used this year to describe games , more than ever. Its why , imho, Divinity Original Sin 2 should run away at a gallop with Game of the Year.

Soldato
I'll be ignoring the reviews and making my own mind up with this one. Particularly as I thought a lot the reviews were wide of the mark for the first Evil Within. In fact I tend to bypass reviews more and more of late, I think they just ruin the experience and in some cases completely put you off and steer you away from a game that you might otherwise really enjoy. Look at Prey for example - a major contender for game of the year but some the reviewers just didn't get it.

Soldato
I'll be ignoring the reviews and making my own mind up with this one. Particularly as I thought a lot the reviews were wide of the mark for the first Evil Within. In fact I tend to bypass reviews more and more of late, I think they just ruin the experience and in some cases completely put you off and steer you away from a game that you might otherwise really enjoy. Look at Prey for example - a major contender for game of the year but some the reviewers just didn't get it.

Agreed, I find now that I go with my gut and more often than not I'm right. I only check reviews for technical issues. Gameplay enjoyment varies wildly.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah looks like they removed Denuvo before release after the LOTR game was cracked fast but now legit buyers like me are still waiting for Steam to unlock yet 1000s who did not even buy the game are already ingame & slating it for poor optimisation even on GTX1070 or GTX1080!

Permabanned
Yeah looks like they removed Denuvo before release after the LOTR game was cracked fast but now legit buyers like me are still waiting for Steam to unlock yet 1000s who did not even buy the game are already ingame & slating it for poor optimisation even on GTX1070 or GTX1080!

Just like TEW 1 when it was first released then.

Soldato
Unfortunately the game doesn't seem to run all that well. Or rather, it's just kinda stupidly demanding for what you get. Being more demanding than the first game is understandable with the improvements in visuals, but the result is a bit extreme. GTX970 users are only getting about 50fps average on *Medium* settings at 1080p. You're gonna need a GTX1070 to get 1080p/60fps on High.

AMD users are faring better as it seems they hold a pretty big advantage over Nvidia, but it's still quite demanding overall.

Still excited to play it, but this will probably be the first game where my GTX970 cant do 1080p/60fps with decent settings and that's a bit lousy. There's a chance something can be done about this as GPU usage is fairly low for Nvidia users for some reason(and it's not being CPU bottlenecked, either), but for now, it's not looking promising on the performance front.

Just a heads up.

Soldato
You would have thought they learned after the optimisation problems from the first game at launch surely?
Well a bit of a different problem. This doesn't have any major stuttering issues or wild fluctuations or anything, it's just demanding.

They're still using the same engine, which is probably the main problem. Just isn't very performant.

Soldato
OP
Runs amazing for me @ 4K fully maxxed out with FXAA+TAA. GTX 1080 + Core i7-980X 12 core @ 3.46Ghz. 12 GB Ram on Win 7. I am locked to 60FPS all the time. Issue seems to be let the game frame pace do not try to set unlimited FPS & enable vsync!

Game is also glorious a fantastic mixture of Evil Within 1, Alan Wake, Resident Evil 4 +7, Silent Hill1+2 (PS1 era although 2 was on PC I still own the retail DVD copy BTW!) if you love old school survival horror I think you will love this game it plays like a mid 2000 Japanese survival horror with modern action instead of puzzle solving.

Back
Top Bottom