• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Associate
Yeah. Poor pricing on these cards. But cannot blame AMD in a way, they need the money. They just won't be getting any of mine for Navi.

What they need is market share, and they're not going to get it if they don't start undercutting the competition. They won't survive much longer if they are matching prices like for like, because the average consumer will - in the absence of a price difference - pick the most well known option instead.

Soldato
I'm guessing the 7nm process is too expensive for the lower tier cards? So maybe they'll use 12nm for a stopgap on lower performance cards ? Even so I just don't get Amd's half arse attitude. They need low,mid, high (2080/+) and to dual purpose these chips for mobile and desktop.

But are incredibly quiet on any future gpu info.

Or they might be playing it like Nvidia and releasing the higher tier cards first. After Nvidia released the 2080ti, 2080 and 2070, there were rumours that there weren't going to be anymroe GPUs because they kept it quiet. So AMD might possibly release the low end in a few months.

They do desperately need something to compete with the 1660 and 1660ti because the Vega 56 is expensive to make and was surely a stopgap at it's current low price.

Caporegime
I think there will be RX 5600 and 5600XT cards to compete with the 1660 and 1660ti later on this year, probably for the school holidays, the £200 to £300 range is where AMD sell the most cards, i think these £350 to £450 RX 5700/XT are first to give AMD some higher end revenue before nVidia will inevitably react and drop the pricing on the RTX cards by £50 to £100 and AMD will have to follow suit.

So after a couple of months expect the RX 5700 to drop down to just over £300 and the 5700X to just over £350 with the RX 5600 launching at around £200 and the 5600XT at around £250.

Caporegime
I think AMD is going to do another dual core card going by the Apple thing, 5900XT or some such. Mind you this is the GCN-RDNA bastardisation of an architecture, might not be worth it.

Soldato
I think AMD is going to do another dual core card going by the Apple thing, 5900XT or some such. Mind you this is the GCN-RDNA bastardisation of an architecture, might not be worth it.
They have to use gcn and rdna together to allow backwards compatability and not have to start from scratch on the drivers, then after the ps5 and scarlet and all the navis are out, they will move to rdna only and all the games that came out on the gcn hybrid will then work as well going forward

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What they need is market share, and they're not going to get it if they don't start undercutting the competition. They won't survive much longer if they are matching prices like for like, because the average consumer will - in the absence of a price difference - pick the most well known option instead.
I used to always buy ATI/AMD as they provided better price for performance. Now apart from the recent Vega deals they have not been doing this, certainly not on release anyways. I remember how the 4870 shook things up when it came out. It beat the 8800 GTX with easy and cost £200. Those were the days... :(

Caporegime
I used to always buy ATI/AMD as they provided better price for performance. Now apart from the recent Vega deals they have not been doing this, certainly not on release anyways. I remember how the 4870 shook things up when it came out. It beat the 8800 GTX with easy and cost £200. Those were the days... :(

Unfortunately that has proven not to work anymore, too many people only want AMD to be cheaper so that nVidia drop the prices and they can buy cheaper nVidia cards.

That doesn't work for AMD, so they are not going to do it anymore.

Soldato
Unfortunately that has proven not to work anymore, too many people only want AMD to be cheaper so that nVidia drop the prices and they can buy cheaper nVidia cards.

That doesn't work for AMD, so they are not going to do it anymore.

If undercutting NV actually worked they couldn't make Vega fast enough especially the 56. These forums tell the tale, the NV guys just want cheaper green. They whine about AMD not competing at the highest price point only because it allows NV to charge what they want, which they then pay...

Caporegime
If undercutting NV actually worked they couldn't make Vega fast enough especially the 56. These forums tell the tale, the NV guys just want cheaper green. They whine about AMD not competing at the highest price point only because it allows NV to charge what they want, which they then pay...

Exactly, AMD exist for the same reason nVidia do, with AMD's market share being way down on nVidia if AMD thought they could sell enough cards cheaply on low margins they would, they have spend the last decade + trying that, since the DH 4870, but even then nVidia still sold more cards, nVidia sold more $1000 Maxwell Titan cards than AMD sold £500 Hawaii cards despite the latter being faster.

You've been able to get RX 570 cards for little over £120 for the past year, much faster and better cards than the GTX 1050TI and yet nVidia sold vastly more of those at a higher price.

It just doesn't work, it makes no difference so why should AMD cut their margins to almost nothing If you're only going to buy nVidia anyway?

Soldato
Exactly, AMD exist for the same reason nVidia do, with AMD's market share being way down on nVidia if AMD thought they could sell enough cards cheaply on low margins they would, they have spend the last decade + trying that, since the DH 4870, but even then nVidia still sold more cards, nVidia sold more $1000 Maxwell Titan cards than AMD sold £500 Hawaii cards despite the latter being faster.

You've been able to get RX 570 cards for little over £120 for the past year, much faster and better cards than the GTX 1050TI and yet nVidia sold vastly more of those at a higher price.

It just doesn't work, it makes no difference so why should AMD cut their margins to almost nothing If you're only going to buy nVidia anyway?

One possible flaw is a lot of AMD fans either can't or won't pay the high prices. They could end up with even less sales if they price like Nvidia.

I'd buy higher priced AMD but not if they offer less performance for the same money.

Caporegime
One possible flaw is a lot of AMD fans either can't or won't pay the high prices. They could end up with even less sales if they price like Nvidia.

I'd buy higher priced AMD but not if they offer less performance for the same money.

The fact that there are "fans" of one brand or another is the problem, there aren't enough 'AMD fans' especially at the highest end for AMD to justify making cards for that sector, given that nVidia's fans would never buy them.

Well, so be it, don't moan at AMD because your cards cost £1200. That's entirely down to you if you buy them anyway.

Soldato

Instead of fighting a war they can no longer win, they've focussed on and succeeded in, the CPU market where Ryzen destroys Intel on price/performance, and they've cornered the console market for CPU/GPU as well. Again, you'll never move some people off Intel CPU's, as they're seen as the primo brand by the blind enthusiast, and the casual ill-informed buyer. The halo GPU sector, which NV has 100% of the market still can't be worth more than 1% of what PS5 and Scarlet will net AMD. The PC gamer is the only real loser here.

AMD are making smart decisions, shame that means the days of discount cards seems to be over, I'll just do what what I've always done, buy whatever works best for me. Might be 2060 Super. We'll see.

Soldato
The fact that there are "fans" of one brand or another is the problem, there aren't enough 'AMD fans' especially at the highest end for AMD to justify making cards for that sector, given that nVidia's fans would never buy them.

Well, so be it, don't moan at AMD because your cards cost £1200. That's entirely down to you if you buy them anyway.

I agree with you, human nature isn't changing though. If AMD can offer same performance as Nvidia for the same price I'll happily buy from them. I'm just after a card that will make the most of a high refresh rate monitor at 1440p.

Caporegime
I agree with you, human nature isn't changing though. If AMD can offer same performance as Nvidia for the same price I'll happily buy from them. I'm just after a card that will make the most of a high refresh rate monitor at 1440p.

Same here, but after 4 years, will probably be 5 by the time i do it, i'm going back to AMD, i'm waiting for early to mid next year when AIB 5700XT's should be around.

I like AMD's card's, i had an AIB R9 290, fantastic card, GTX 970 and now the GTX 1070, also fantastic cards but i like what AMD are doing on the software side much more, and i fancy a change from nVidia.

Back
Top Bottom