• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FidelityFX And Radeon Image Sharpening Tested vs DLSS

Soldato
Does anyone know what types of AA you are supposed to combine this with? Is TAA okay because that deliberately softens the image a bit?

Soldato
@EastCoastHandle Level1Tech had a comment yesterday about Radeon engineers he met. One of his comments was that the engineers were down to earth, one of them joke that they had some great ideas but something went wrong in the implementations, while another one said that one day they got a brilliant idea when an angry engineer kicked a whole PC down the office. :D

@EastCoastHandle installed 19.7.1 on my V64. However is there any indicator if Antilag is on? I pressed Alt+L.

Just in case the experience I had atm in WOT wasn't placebo :D
It's like Chill it plays a sound when you enable or disable.

Yup, pretty much this. It should beep at you when you start a game.
You can change Alt-L to Alt-"something else".
Or you can use Alt-R go to Game Dynamics.

Permabanned
Nvidia are saying AL is basically pre-rendered frames 1? Is that true? It makes a large difference and always did as i remember i used to use the command in the BF3 engine to go between 0-4 and 1 was always snappy and 0 felt more so even though they said it was impossible not to have at least 1 buffer or prerendered frame.

I thought AMD had the flip queue option though which would mean if Anti Lag and Flip Queue co exist what is going on exactly?

Soldato
Nvidia are saying AL is basically pre-rendered frames 1? Is that true? It makes a large difference and always did as i remember i used to use the command in the BF3 engine to go between 0-4 and 1 was always snappy and 0 felt more so even though they said it was impossible not to have at least 1 buffer or prerendered frame.

I thought AMD had the flip queue option though which would mean if Anti Lag and Flip Queue co exist what is going on exactly?
LOL, please post a link to this. And the answer is no. I could change it to 1 if I wanted to.

Permabanned
Soldato
OP

This review shows pre rendered frames doing nothing to the latency like Anti Lag.
It might be doing something different with the feeling of the mouse but it's not changing the input to frame latency.

Sorry nvidia you do not have an answer to Anti Lag "yet"

Soldato
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-anti-lag-sharpening-amd-radeon-alternative

They say it there, Also answering no does not answer my question you mean no or yes do you have flip queue plus anti lag? Flip queue is pre rendered so if you have both Nvidia have confused me.

Nvidia's post is been ridiculed over the last 30 days, because even Nvidia states on their last paragraph, the technologies and final outcome is not comparable.
Nvidia doesn’t claim to be offering an exact alternative to AMD’s latest technologies, rather a reminder to folks that there are options available.

Here is a review looking the antilag for NV & AMD cards. Including previous gen, as antilag is supported. And trust me it works on the V64 and RX460.
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rade...3/Specials/Radeon-Anti-Lag-Test-Navi-1293817/

As for FidelityFX is nothing comparable to the filter you have to select on the Nvidia spyware.... i mean NV Experience which is just Nvidia's Reshade, applying colour filters on top of the image, nothing ground breaking and doesn't improve the actual textures, just changes colours and gamma.

Last edited:
Soldato
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-anti-lag-sharpening-amd-radeon-alternative

They say it there, Also answering no does not answer my question you mean no or yes do you have flip queue plus anti lag? Flip queue is pre rendered so if you have both Nvidia have confused me.

AMD reduced their pre rendered frames to 1 over a year ago by default for most games in their drivers, disabling it entirely for some E-sports titles.
Pre-rendered frames boosts FPS averages but at the expense of responsiveness.

AMD's Anti lag seems to go beyond just changing the pre-rendered frames.

Caporegime
Nvidia's post is been ridiculed over the last 30 days, because even Nvidia states on their last paragraph, the technologies and final outcome is not comparable.

Here is a review looking the antilag for NV & AMD cards. Including previous gen, as antilag is supported. And trust me it works on the V64 and RX460.
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rade...3/Specials/Radeon-Anti-Lag-Test-Navi-1293817/

As for FidelityFX is nothing comparable to the filter you have to select on the Nvidia spyware.... i mean NV Experience which is just Nvidia's Reshade, applying colour filters on top of the image, nothing ground breaking and doesn't improve the actual textures, just changes colours and gamma.

AMD here has gone the extra mile improving on the fly the texture quality with close to 0% per hit, and is automatic when you turn it on, in addition allows developers to push the envelop further, shall they wish to do so.

Ignore the abti-lag, stuff you are again completely wrong in respect to Nvidia sharpening. It works in much the same way as AMDs and sharpens the textures. It has nothing do with color or gamma. It is a sharpening filter.

Do you make it your mission in life to spread as many kies as possible a out Nvidia? It really is fantastic that every post you make contains flat out lies.

Soldato

RIS is a contrast-adaptive algorithm that sharpens a game scene. RIS draws out details in low contrast areas of a scene, without negatively impacting high contrast areas. It is basically a post-processing compute shader that evaluates a 3x3 pixel neighborhood and applies the sharpening algorithm where applicable.
Read more at https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-5700-image-sharpening-comparison#2UjFGgfkO0sQ0VlO.99

This is what RIS is and is very different from say Reshade image sharpening or similar. Stop making stuff up. Nvidia does not do this, they just have a sharpening filter. This is not the same at all.

Stop talking rubbish. Indeed, explanations have been vague but this should show an obvious variation to a general filter setting.

Edit: And we are talking about what RIS is and how it does it. Yes it is sharpening the image to give it a crisper look, but it is how it is doing it that is important. The performance hit is minimal which is not the case generally for Reshade or Nivida version and the results often cause over sharpening from the other two due to it being a select all filter.

What AMD have done is offered the ability to sharpen all our games images in a subtle but effective way whilst minimising any frame loss. That seems like a win win.

Edit 2: @shankly1985 I should also say it isn't actually upscaling/downscaling any information, it is purely reading the data, running through an algorithm and sharpening the image on the fly to give best image to performance results.

It also means it shouldn't oversharpen high contrast areas and similar that elements such as Reshade do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ignore the abti-lag, stuff you are again completely wrong in respect to Nvidia sharpening. It works in much the same way as AMDs and sharpens the textures. It has nothing do with color or gamma. It is a sharpening filter.

Do you make it your mission in life to spread as many kies as possible a out Nvidia? It really is fantastic that every post you make contains flat out lies.

Stop using argumentum ad hominem tactics when you try to respond to people in this forum. Is showing your inability to understand and your sheer lack of knowledge, but is also a fallacious argumentative strategy.

Except if you are of those against the tech, who are spending loads of GPU power on motion blur and out of focal plane effects, and AMD throws more at image to sharpen it again :D
hahha.

Last edited:
Permabanned
AMD reduced their pre rendered frames to 1 over a year ago by default for most games in their drivers, disabling it entirely for some E-sports titles.
Pre-rendered frames boosts FPS averages but at the expense of responsiveness.

AMD's Anti lag seems to go beyond just changing the pre-rendered frames.

Thanks hopefully more comes out about what they are doing, I want it on Nvidia and AMD.

Back
Top Bottom