• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
My issue is false positive !!!! I resolved it for 2 minutes :( The issue comes from the way the GPU mounts in the case and the way HDMI cable connects to it. It seems that the card fits in my case HAF-X so tight that I cannot plug the HDMI cable into it. So I need to:
1. remove the side panel of the case
2. remove the screws that holds the GPU tight to the case (the cards hangs a little, because it is holding only on the PCI-E slot)
3. plug the cables that I need
4. get back the screws
5. close the side panel

I found and the root of the issue - two days ago I was removing my custom water cooling loop and to minimize the risk of damaging the GPU I decided to remove it from the case. And .... when I was returning it I forgot about this little specific cable plug in :) I was so tired and just plugged the HDMI cable somehow...... and it was working for two days with no issues till this morning ...

:) post 681 :) 681 AD is the year that my nation has been found :)

Last edited:
Associate
A bit late to the party but just finished a new build with a 5700xt. Undecided on the noise yet until I run a few more games. £135+postage for a block is quite steep. Here's a really bad pic. It's not a pretty build but it's functional!

Associate
Just interested to know.. Do these cards respond well to undervolting like Vega does?

My core is UC/UV to 1800Mhz 960mv and generally stays around 1750Mhz, memory is oc'd to 910Mhz (would go higher but no need right now).

Performance is within 1 or 2 fps of stock totally silent runs around avg 63C on reference cooler. Avg power draw I think is around 120-130w, would need to confirm that later on.

Essentially it gives me stock performance with way less power draw, much cooler and silent.

EDIT: I also use Chill set in the adrenalin software

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
A bit late to the party but just finished a new build with a 5700xt. Undecided on the noise yet until I run a few more games. £135+postage for a block is quite steep. Here's a really bad pic. It's not a pretty build but it's functional!

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

Hk6Mrap.jpg

Date 14/08/2019, Make AMD Reference, DrSteve, Link
Date 10/08/2019, Make AMD Reference, Potatowithearsontheside, Link
Date 08/08/2019, Make AMD Reference, R3v4n, Link
Date 08/08/2019, Make AMD 50th AE, Besty, Link
Date 07/08/2019, Make AMD 50th AE, willb1967, Link
Date 31/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, ernorator, Link
Date 31/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, Kevin Matthews, Link
Date 30/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, FiremanSam, Link
Date 25/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, xxalxx, Link
Date 25/07/2019, Make AMD 50th AE, brightside229, Link
Date 25/07/2019, Make AMD 50th AE, Panos, Link
Date 20/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, InvaderGIR, Link
Date 20/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, Aod, Link
Date 19/07/2019, Make AMD 50th AE, BOFH, Link
Date 18/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, gavinh87, Link
Date 17/07/2019, Make AMD 50th AE, LtMatt, Link
Date 14/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, bake73, Link
Date 12/07/2019, Make AMD 50th AE, jrodga2k5, Link
Date 11/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, LtMatt, Link
Date 11/07/2019, Make AMD Reference, docsonic, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 5700 XT.

Associate
My core is UC/UV to 1800Mhz 960mv and generally stays around 1750Mhz, memory is oc'd to 910Mhz (would go higher but no need right now).

Performance is within 1 or 2 fps of stock totally silent runs around avg 63C on reference cooler. Avg power draw I think is around 120-130w, would need to confirm that later on.

Essentially it gives me stock performance with way less power draw, much cooler and silent.

EDIT: I also use Chill set in the adrenalin software

I'm running 1850mhz/932mv & whilst the temps do creep up towards the cards traget temperature of 80c still the fan stays very quiet. 1500-17500rpm in metro exodus for example. I need to play with memory overclocking as well but fairly certain its going to cap out at about 910 as seems common.

My first thoughts on some very limited tinkering with the 5700XT (Saphire reference):
Out of the box it was consistently hitting 1900MHz with peaks above 2000MHz being hit fairly often, whilst drawing a consistent 180w of power. Target frequency appeared to be 2054MHz and 1201mV as default setting (same figure appeared in Afterburner as well as Wattman). GPU was idling at around 32C. In games (War Thunder) the GPU temperature was a consistent 69-71C with a juntion temperature hitting 87C at it's peak. With stock fan settings I could barely hear it, though I have mostly avoided the stock fan curve. At 55% you can certainly hear it though; definitely just air whoosh and not a high pitched squeal (I cycle a fair bit, so I recognise high pitched squeals; braking hard in the rain).

Right, so on to Wattman Auto Undervolt:
Click one button, then click apply. Simples. Wattman calculated 750mV min and 1151mV max though it then greyed out the voltage and fan curves, so who knows what the target frequency or fan speeds were.
Loaded up War Thunder again (this time 1080p max instead of 4k max), and this time clocks were consistently at 2000MHz, with power draw still at 180w. GPU temperatures did increase over stock; GPU hit mid-80s and juntion temperature hit 96C. My instinct here is that Auto Undervolt reverts to stock fan curve, which is annoying if true.

Another perspective on noise:
I have tried the fans at 100% and it is particularly loud. Again, not a high pitched squeal, though it is definitely a higher pitch than under more sensible settings.
I'm quite comfortable with 55% at 73C, knowing that I rarely hit 73C with stock settings. It is audible even at a few metres away with a headset on (though at lowest volume), but it isn't an issue for me. I've not tried listening to it from behind a closed door, or from another room, so perhaps that is the next test.
Another thing to note is that my CPU under a heavy load causes much more noise from the various fans than the blower on the GPU does. That being said, my 3600X is rarely under a heavy load. In gaming, the primary noise would in most cases come from the GPU (excluding game audio).

I'm still getting used to Wattman, and it seems as though you have choose it or Afterburner, not both, otherwise one or the other overrides the other if you make any changes (makes sense, but I had to test it because the Adrenaline overlay is pretty crap and Rivatuner appears not to come on if Afterburner isn't running).

I couldn't find a useful guide on how best to use Wattman, but it all looks self-explanatory; you just have to pay attention to what you can't see when you aren't using default or manual.

A final note on memory overclock. 900MHz worked fine but 910MHz would kick me out of the one game that I tested it on (Neverwinter). I probably tinkered with too many settings to isolate the root cause though.

Red Devil looking like the aib of choice if your willing to pony up the extra £80 over the ref card. Pulse if your not. Performance very similar either way just better qol out of the box. They have done a great ob with the cooler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-red-devil
I don't get it.
My reference model hits those clocks at those temperatures for 40w less. So all you get for that premium is a higher electricity bill and a little less noise.

Soldato
Having some major stability issues with my 5700XT, blue screens randomly with numerous different reasons. Upgraded from an RX570, DDU etc latest drivers but still happens.

Gonna try a fresh windows install and see if that helps.

Associate
Have you much 3rd party software starting with your pc? I havnt had any blue screens but some have fixed theirs by disabling rgb software etc..

Back
Top Bottom