**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
Fantastic update, doesn't matter where i go it's buttery smooth and stutters have almost completely gone now, getting 60+fps almost everywhere and hitting over 70fps regulary, mixture of high and ultra settings, even on the odd occasion over high detailed areas when the fps has dropped below 60fps you don't notice it and it stays butter smooth, this sim has been transformed, fantastic job asobo.

Soldato
So interesting to see so much praise here and so much whining on the official forum :cry:

I look forward to trying it out myself next month when it finishes downloading.

Associate
So interesting to see so much praise here and so much whining on the official forum :cry:

I look forward to trying it out myself next month when it finishes downloading.

You know it - I was a bit miffed by the new interaction and soon found you can opt back to 'legacy', but stumbled across a few people complaining as if it's a massive deal! :p

What the he!! happened? Mouse isn’t working on any switches or anything in the airplane!!…Yeah, I’m on an expensive computer so I can run this sim, so get your heads out of your Xbox!…And, this is what I have received for an update? Doesn’t a software company test their updates anymore? Com’on Asobo get it together!!

Back on topic, an amazing uplift in performance for me using an i5 9600k @4.9, 16GB 3200mhz (removed additional 16GB) and a 3080FE at stock.

But.....still aint as good as Xplane 11 for me. I have ORBX UK (complete coverage), and Xenviro and to me it just looks and flies better in my opinion.

MSFS areas for improvement for me
- I'm hoping the flight model gets some attention at some point.
- I still find the glass cockpits had to read, something else that could do with some attention. Maybe like XP11 (default aircraft predominately) they can do pop out instruments with buttons.
- Controller profile, a bit binary (maybe sensitivity setting) being able to share profiles across users would be a big help. I have Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Logitech Autopilot and rudder pedals.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought this was too good to be true, but there really is an enormous uplift in performance as quoted. It's at least +50% for me! High preset @1440p I'm sitting at 60fps flying low over NYC and Toronto (3060 Ti). I have v sync on, so it'll go higher than that. Spinning the camera around over a city still brings my 7700k @4.8 to it's knees though. So still pobably looking at an upgrade for a 5600X or 5800X in the near future. RAM usage is also way down; I don't need 32GB anymore! JFK airport is also still a real challenge for an older CPU like mine - only getting 40-50fps and still some 1 second long stutters. As above the new cockipt interaction is a bit off.

Associate
I thought this was too good to be true, but there really is an enormous uplift in performance as quoted. It's at least +50% for me! High preset @1440p I'm sitting at 60fps flying low over NYC and Toronto (3060 Ti). I have v sync on, so it'll go higher than that. Spinning the camera around over a city still brings my 7700k @4.8 to it's knees though. So still pobably looking at an upgrade for a 5600X or 5800X in the near future. RAM usage is also way down; I don't need 32GB anymore! JFK airport is also still a real challenge for an older CPU like mine - only getting 40-50fps and still some 1 second long stutters. As above the new cockipt interaction is a bit off.
Yes, one thing I have noticed when panning externally it can render stuttering.
Interesting you say re vsync, does it now lock out at the targeted range as this was something that was previously broken?

Associate
Yes, one thing I have noticed when panning externally it can render stuttering.
Interesting you say re vsync, does it now lock out at the targeted range as this was something that was previously broken?

Hmmm, v sync has always worked for me, on both AMD and Nvidia cards.

Soldato
I’d say there’s been a decent uplift in performance but it’s still not great, although perhaps better than I expected. 30-35fps over London, gpu still isn’t more than 75% and cpu 40ish without any one thread maxing out. 1% lows sometimes down to 20fps, so it does stutter.

It was probably 25-30 fps before. Using 1440p with the DF recommended settings, 1080Ti, 3600, 32gb

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Finally downloaded overnight; was interested to see what it would be like on a "lesser" GPU so swapped in the 6700 XT I picked up for my cousin's build;
Everything at Ultra and its getting a fairly steady 50-55 FPS at 1080p and it looks incredible; looking forward to getting my 3080 back in later.

I will say though I'm seeing "limited by main thread" an awful lot more; kinda wonder if maybe its time to try and find and AMD 5000 CPU.

Caporegime
Don’t want to sound butthurt or anything, but all the xboxers are saying it looks exactly the same as the PC version.

Surely that can’t be the case when running on top end cards? Can the xbox really do ultra across the board at over 30fps?

Man of Honour
Don’t want to sound butthurt or anything, but all the xboxers are saying it looks exactly the same as the PC version.

Surely that can’t be the case when running on top end cards? Can the xbox really do ultra across the board at over 30fps?

I've not seen it in the flesh myself but most of the streams and YouTube videos have looked really good over the last few days; given the performance improvements on PC I don't suppose its unreasonable to assume that those same improvements are helping to make the console version perform as well as it does

Soldato
No. Xbox does NOT look better than PC. It's impressive yes, but as with anything. PC master race.
Pixel peeping you'll easily notice. If you just want to sit playing on a TV then it's great the xbox version.

Associate
Finally downloaded last night after 5.5 hours. Bit of a mixed bag...

Performance increase is fantastic. Took off from London City heading west, which is about the most testing thing you can do, and the difference is immediately obvious. Admittedly there was one or two occasional stutters on climb out, but once airborne over the city absolutely fine. Even managed to up the render scale and get better image quality. Now have it at 100 in game and 70 in OXR.

The downside it that it then crashed to desktop. And worse, did so repeatedly over the hour and half I spent on it. In other words, pretty unusable. This is despite only having two or three in total since release. AI traffic turned off as suggested in the release notes, and nothing added to the community folder after clearing it pre-update.

My only hope is that this may be caused by the FPS limit I set in the nvidia control panel while it was downloading. Won't get chance to investigate until this evening, but that feels like clutching at straws.

Associate
Pleased to say I've got a healthy fps boost after the update, where i was touching 30 fps beforehand i'm now getting low 40s. This is in vr (hp reverb g2) with i7 7700k and 3090, 32gb ram.

What ive since noticed is that using the fps counter under developer tools, in vr im no longer 'limited by gpu', it now says 'limited by RdrThread', anyone know what this means? I'm off to google it now but any input/help appreciated...

Soldato
******* game won't update for me again. Exact same thing happened with the last world update and I had to completely uninstall and reinstall. I have no updates in the windows store and when I launch the game it says theres a mandatory update, which takes me to the store page but there is just a play option, no update option.

As mentioned, exact same thing happened with last big world update. Any ideas? not sure I can be bothered with this game anymore.

Soldato
Pleased to say I've got a healthy fps boost after the update, where i was touching 30 fps beforehand i'm now getting low 40s. This is in vr (hp reverb g2) with i7 7700k and 3090, 32gb ram.

What ive since noticed is that using the fps counter under developer tools, in vr im no longer 'limited by gpu', it now says 'limited by RdrThread', anyone know what this means? I'm off to google it now but any input/help appreciated...

I guess render thread… a CPU limitation.

Back
Top Bottom