**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Caporegime
Does anyone know if the port of the game, to Xbox series X, has meant that the controls on the PC version on an xbox control pad are now better?

Or dont we get those same controls?

Soldato
just flew from bristol to heathrow in VR in an A320 and it was smooth all the way until I landed at heathrow. With mostly high settings and 100% render res! Wonderful update :D

Kept getting "lost connection" messages which was annoying, but I expect the servers are still getting hammered

Soldato
A mate of mine has just suggested I give this a try but the installation is painfully slow and then just seems to crash at about 5%!?!? Has there been a recent update and I have simply picked the worst possible time to try and download this beast??

Soldato
Sorry I didn't mention I'm on PC

I was talking about PC. All the networking for MSFS is handled through the xbox networking section... you can check for connectivity issues where I suggested in your PC settings.

It’s just hung again when I switched my engines off. I’m thinkingbof doing a complete reinstall

Reinstalling now. Definitely think something went wrong with the update.

Finally had a good play this eve and still didn't run into any issues personally. Perhaps my forced clean install was a good thing!

I have to say it's running pretty nicely. Big improvement in VR imo but still a challenging game to run at high settings and resolution.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A mate of mine has just suggested I give this a try but the installation is painfully slow and then just seems to crash at about 5%!?!? Has there been a recent update and I have simply picked the worst possible time to try and download this beast??

Yes you picked the worst possible time! Huge update went live last night for PC and it just launched for Xbox yesterday as well; it will take a while to download!

Associate

With a fresh install of Flight Sim and current server loads and download speeds, you are probably looking at at least a day to download the game from scratch, and then another day to download all of the scenery expansions that have been released since launch.

It is the biggest drawback of flight sim, the installation time is astronomical - not through size, but because the downloads crawl due to server load and the client often crashes when left unattended for long periods (such as downloading 40GB patches over 4 hours)

Soldato
That was obviously filmed before the update as they say about the low frame rate on PC, and it’s now almost doubled. The game may look similar, but you will get a higher frame rate. I am very suspicious of that 120fps on the X tbh.
It does hit 120fps, with VRR, in certain conditions; e.g. high altitude or in rural areas but it fluctuates wildly anywhere else with no chance in densely populated areas / cities.

This article sums it pretty much.
" The frame-rate is highly variable though, anything from 50fps to 120fps, and while the improvement is clear, it also serves to make the stuttering issues on Series X more noticeable (Series S is more consistent overall). " *
*the S is fixed 1080p v X at 4k.

I'd much prefer a non-VRR targeted 60 with dynamic res between 1440p/4k or even a fixed 40/4k with reduced subsampling. I'd expect more optimizations and performance options are incoming for all platforms! :)

Associate
Since SU5 Live weather is a no go

I fly jetliners and with live weather on i struggle to get over 22000ft The sim thinks im at 40000ft + hence no lift, Also ATC thinks im 1000ft below or above than what i actually am at , Also my airspeed will increase or drop 100kts in a second LOL

Iv been trying with Pre set weather and its fine

Hope this is fixed ASAP

Since SU5 its a smooth as butter now runing it on a 3080, Im happy with this bit :)

Soldato
The Xbox x has a gpu similar to a 2070, maybe a 2070s or perhaps somewhere in between so it won’t do 120 fps unless you only have plain blue sky in the frame.

Associate
You have to set a button (eg left mouse click) as interact in the keybinds.... until you have done so it will show a "?" as the interact key. Why they haven't bound something as default is a mystery to me.
And me but for me it worked without me doing anything so I guess they did for those in the beta?

Associate
I fly jetliners and with live weather on i struggle to get over 22000ft The sim thinks im at 40000ft + hence no lift, Also ATC thinks im 1000ft below or above than what i actually am at , Also my airspeed will increase or drop 100kts in a second LOL
Is this just a function of the altitude bug they mentioned in the Release Notes?

Soldato
I'd much prefer a non-VRR targeted 60 with dynamic res between 1440p/4k or even a fixed 40/4k with reduced subsampling. I'd expect more optimizations and performance options are incoming for all platforms! :)

DF already estimated the XSX was running an internal 1440p with temporal upsampling to 4k… not sure you’d want to run it any lower than it already does if so. Out of interest Series S was seemingly running at a true 1080p but with significantly lower draw distance.

Soldato
DF already estimated the XSX was running an internal 1440p with temporal upsampling to 4k… not sure you’d want to run it any lower than it already does if so. Series S was seemingly running at a true 1080p but with significantly lower draw distance
I did see the video; I'm not sure how much more of an overhead TAA costs when getting that 1440p to 4k. I'm hopeful for a 40/4k (120hz displays) option.

Associate
Last night I noticed ground textures popping in as I pan the camera around on exterior views. I’m playing at Ultra preset as well. Not sure if it did it before update 5 but it’s really disappointing. Though that’s the only issue I’ve noticed so far.

Associate
Last night I noticed ground textures popping in as I pan the camera around on exterior views. I’m playing at Ultra preset as well. Not sure if it did it before update 5 but it’s really disappointing. Though that’s the only issue I’ve noticed so far.

Yes 'aggressive culling' has been mentioned as one of the mechanisms used to achieve the performance uplift. Quite a few calling SU5 a downgrade, to accommodate the xbox.

Personally, I didn't find it too jarring.

Last edited:
Associate
Actually now I think about it, it’s even worse as the textures popping in were the ones immediately around the plane (around a 5 mile radius), and they are super low resolution textures. The ones further away look higher quality. Flying at 20000 feet this is.

Associate
I was talking about PC. All the networking for MSFS is handled through the xbox networking section... you can check for connectivity issues where I suggested in your PC settings.

Finally had a good play this eve and still didn't run into any issues personally. Perhaps my forced clean install was a good thing!

I have to say it's running pretty nicely. Big improvement in VR imo but still a challenging game to run at high settings and resolution.

Sorry my bad :), checked and all working now thank you!

Back
Top Bottom