*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
Not heard about that. I'm on 1 day 16 hours and 36mins with 13% battery left and screen on time of 3 hours 26 minutes. Updated to Wanam 3.4 in the end.

Would you mind trusting me the links you use/d for rooting & custom rom'ing your phone mate?
I'm having a seriously hard time getting anything other than stock onto the phone, despite years of jailbreaking experience!
Much obliged :p

Soldato
Soldato
What kernel are you using mrk?

I'm getting ridiculously good battery life from N.E.A.K and Wanam 3.4

1d 15h hours with 40% remaining and 4 hours of screen time so far, best rom/kernel package I've had so far in terms of stability and battery life to be honest

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Are those all the instructions one needs to unlock and root their note?

I don't know what has chsanged since I rooted my phone back in December but yes, I do recall it being rather simple and quick, simple case of flashing recovery from Odin and boom, done, ready to flash a new ROM. I stuck with Wanam throughout.

What kernel are you using mrk?

I'm getting ridiculously good battery life from N.E.A.K and Wanam 3.4

1d 15h hours with 40% remaining and 4 hours of screen time so far, best rom/kernel package I've had so far in terms of stability and battery life to be honest

Not tried NEAK yet, I'm using the bundled ADAM kernel with the sound mods app to increase headphone sound and enable the hardware amp features.

Soldato
After using my brother's Note 2, I'm totally awed by the screen, SAMOLED looks amazing without pentile. I'm considering getting this instead of either the HTC One or Galaxy S4. Size is not an issue, as I'll be using it more like a tablet anyway. My only concern is, should I wait for Note 3? Is the Note 2 worth ~£400 these days having been out for some time now?

Soldato
After 5 and a half weeks, Samsung have said today they will replace my handset. Does anyone know if they issue refurbished handsets or new? I have now completely had enough of Samsung, I already vowed a year ago to never touch another Samsung TV, and the way I feel at the moment it's the same now with their phones. Until they seriously sort out their customer service I want nothing to do with them, they seem to be copying Apple but not in the areas that matter i.e. customer service. I will most likely sell the replacement as soon as I get it, the HTC One is currently at the top of my list of replacements. Bit of a shame because I think aside from the cheap feeling plastic they use which I've been able to overlook, they make excellent phones. My ideal phone would be something with the spec of a Samsung with the premium feel of an iPhone running Android, and the HTC One seems to be the closest to this at present.

I think I may be waiting an eternity for this replacement to arrive but we'll see. Does anyone know how much I should expect to get for it, sealed and unlocked? They actually told me to go to the store I purchased it from and tell the store to ring Samsung, and they will issue the store with an authorisation code and they will be able to issue me a replacement handset immediately. I purchased my phone online though and mobiles.co.uk said there is nothing they can do, they said try cpw since that is who they are owned by and they simply said go back to mobiles.co.uk, so it looks like I will have to ring Samsung again tomorrow to find out exactly how I am suppose to get this replacement.

Word of advice: Avoid dealing directly with Samsung at all costs, they are an utter disgrace. Deal directly with whom you purchased your handset from if you can and let them deal with Samsung on your behalf.

Associate
After 5 and a half weeks, Samsung have said today they will replace my handset. Does anyone know if they issue refurbished handsets or new? I have now completely had enough of Samsung, I already vowed a year ago to never touch another Samsung TV, and the way I feel at the moment it's the same now with their phones. Until they seriously sort out their customer service I want nothing to do with them, they seem to be copying Apple but not in the areas that matter i.e. customer service. I will most likely sell the replacement as soon as I get it, the HTC One is currently at the top of my list of replacements. Bit of a shame because I think aside from the cheap feeling plastic they use which I've been able to overlook, they make excellent phones. My ideal phone would be something with the spec of a Samsung with the premium feel of an iPhone running Android, and the HTC One seems to be the closest to this at present.

I think I may be waiting an eternity for this replacement to arrive but we'll see. Does anyone know how much I should expect to get for it, sealed and unlocked? They actually told me to go to the store I purchased it from and tell the store to ring Samsung, and they will issue the store with an authorisation code and they will be able to issue me a replacement handset immediately. I purchased my phone online though and mobiles.co.uk said there is nothing they can do, they said try cpw since that is who they are owned by and they simply said go back to mobiles.co.uk, so it looks like I will have to ring Samsung again tomorrow to find out exactly how I am suppose to get this replacement.

Word of advice: Avoid dealing directly with Samsung at all costs, they are an utter disgrace. Deal directly with whom you purchased your handset from if you can and let them deal with Samsung on your behalf.

strange, i dealt with them direct re my tv and that was fine. i think they have contractors do their part right? maybe the one by you is awful?

i did have to RMA my HTC desire a while back and that was fluid.

Soldato
After using my brother's Note 2, I'm totally awed by the screen, SAMOLED looks amazing without pentile. I'm considering getting this instead of either the HTC One or Galaxy S4. Size is not an issue, as I'll be using it more like a tablet anyway. My only concern is, should I wait for Note 3? Is the Note 2 worth ~£400 these days having been out for some time now?

Obviously the new one will be better in some way or another but if you have already enjoyed your experience with the Note2, it wouldnt be a bad idea to get one. It's still a 1.6ghz quadcore with HD screen, amazing Battery life and a cool stylus (1080p is overkill in my opinion 720p even on a 5.5" device is still plenty, perfect for 720p mkv movies too.)

It's entirely up to you. There's always something new around the corner so whatever you get something else will be out soon. So whenever you decide to upgrade your phone again say after 2 years there will be a shiny Note 4 or Iphone 6 for you to deliberate over ;)

Soldato
Miui @ 2ghz is quite good on the old battery

8635867160_51fea32222_b.jpg
8634761037_b0b3bfa31a_b.jpg

8635867232_81c4443f11_b.jpg

Associate
For anyone else as well:

Root instructions are here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=31801060&postcount=2

And the ROM to flash from recovery after rooting and creating a backup (in recovery):
http://wanamlite.com/2013/04/03/wanamlite-mc1-v3-4-android-4-1-2-clean-stable/

That's pretty much how it goes!

Wondering if anyone can help me?

I'm trying to root my Note 2, using method 2 from the link above. Odin states that the flash has passed, but the phone doesn't reboot in to Recovery on completion, and when i try to manually reboot into recovery, i don't get the cwm recovery that i'm trying to flash. The flash counter is however increasing each time i try to flash.

Associate
Wondering if anyone can help me?

I'm trying to root my Note 2, using method 2 from the link above. Odin states that the flash has passed, but the phone doesn't reboot in to Recovery on completion, and when i try to manually reboot into recovery, i don't get the cwm recovery that i'm trying to flash. The flash counter is however increasing each time i try to flash.

Sorted now.

It was reflashing the standard recovery back on reboot, I'd read that i needed to turn off auto reboot, and reboot manually, but the desciption reads that pressing the power button until restart would boot into the custom recovery. This wasn't the case i need to hold down the home, volume and power button to boot into the custom recovery from the download mode.

Soldato
am trying to cheapest deal with note2 with unlimited internet...
is there anything under £30 a month ?

EDIT
have found that p4u has promo on tmobile. unlimited txt and net and with 500mins for £26 plus £29 for handset...and £50 cashback from quidco...
tempted...
but will struggle with reception at work again :/

Last edited:
Soldato
FREE Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Grey
T Mobile Full Monty

-500 minutes
-Unlimited texts
-Unlimited data
-24 months

£26 per month (24 months)

£40 quidco cashback @ affordable mobiles.

EDIT: But the HTC One can be had on the same deal with only £30 for handset.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorted now.

It was reflashing the standard recovery back on reboot, I'd read that i needed to turn off auto reboot, and reboot manually, but the desciption reads that pressing the power button until restart would boot into the custom recovery. This wasn't the case i need to hold down the home, volume and power button to boot into the custom recovery from the download mode.

This was the exact issue I had - hence 2 weeks of unsuccessful attempts until MRK posted up what seems to be the only guide written in clear English, on the net!

Now I'm clear on what I'm doing, I shall be trying out a few different roms.
Looking forward to some clean AOSP based - interested to enable call recording :)

Back
Top Bottom