*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
After the abysmal failure of my iphone 3GS, I had 3 months in which to research & choose it's replacement. I knew it would be Android, since the i5 was nothing but disappointment, Windows phone didn't appeal as I'm not a huge user of Xbox Live and Blackberry/Sony had disappointed me before.

I wanted a big screen, since I make very few calls but am constantly browsing, emailing and using different media. I have kids and go on long trips with them, so something I could shove a few movies and kids tv series on was also needed.
I considered a tablet, but found them too heavy and bulky for the constant user.

I considered the Nexus 4, the SGS3 and the HTC range and finally had a chance to play with the Note2...

Was instantly smitten. The kids love it as I bought a second windscreen mount and stuck it to the glass roof of my car, they can both watch the decent sized screen whilst their movies' audio streams through the car stereo - CBeebies in surround sound ftw!

With 3's unlimited data on the One plan, we can use Netflix, TV Catchup and remote access the media at home without worrying. Battery life is also without equal.

I honestly couldn't imagine getting on as well with any other phone.

Soldato
I am a huge fan of the Note series, you won't be disappointed with it. My recent bad experiences with Samsung plus missing a device which feels premium, is really tempting me to try the HTC One. I might just end up keeping my N2 and buy the HO for the missus as she needs a new phone, but I'll 'borrow' it off her for a few days first. :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't really care about premium feel much, more of a premium experience fan - Not that the N2 is cheap looking or feeling (plastic back withstanding!).

It is as mentioned above, without equal for what can be done with speed and effortlessness with battery life to back it all up.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
5.8" version will be available too according to that. Will stick to N2, no interest in something that big unless it's Note2 dimensions and just the screen fits closer to the bezels.. which is not likely at all given the size increase!

Soldato
They are relatively low spec too, from engadget:

The 6.3-inch model has an 'HD display' (we're chasing the precise resolution, though it's likely 720p) alongside a dual-core 1.7GHz processor, Android 4.2 and an 8-megapixel camera. Software features like Air View, Multi Windows, Pop-up Play will make sure you have plenty to do on that giant screen. The Galaxy Mega arrives somewhere between Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy Note II, although we're hoping it'll be priced slightly more humbly than either neighbor. The Galaxy Mega 6.3 houses LTE and HSPA radios, while you'll get GPS and GLONASS to aid any location-based antics. There's a 3,200mAh battery and internal storage that can be expanded by microSD up to 64GB, with 8 or 16 gigs (there's two models) built-in to begin with.

The HSPA-only Galaxy Mega 5.8 reduces the size -- and pretty much all the other specs. The resolution drops down to qHD (960 x 540), while it packs a lesser 1.4GHz dual-core processor. It has the same 8-megapixel camera, while the smaller, er, Mega, only comes as an 8GB model.

Soldato
guys,
do you even consider having other mobiles then Note 2 after having one ?

Nokia 620 WP8 as a small phone for going out on crazy commando missions.. Only because i don't want harm my precious Note 2 in anyway! :cool:

But seriously i think it's going to be a solid smartphone for a couple of years, which is when a lot of people's contracts are up, perfect timing for a meaningful upgrade... Like a Note 4 :p

Soldato
My battery was draining very fast today so I've just installed CPU Spy and noticed the CPU is running at full pelt even while the screen is off. How can I find out which app is causing it? I haven't even installed anything today or changed any settings which is odd.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Someone asked about the lockscreen a while back whereby if you used a secure method then you'd lose the ability to have shortcuts on the lockscreen.

I've just learnt that you can use a lockscreen just enable the secondary feature to use secure lockscreen with shortcuts in the lockscreen settings screen. I'm using it now and it works really well :)

Soldato
My battery was draining very fast today so I've just installed CPU Spy and noticed the CPU is running at full pelt even while the screen is off. How can I find out which app is causing it? I haven't even installed anything today or changed any settings which is odd.

Better Battery Stats

Soldato
While I was in Hong Kong, I spent a while acquiring some new cases for my Note II.

A nice leather case with a stand:
11uukhx.jpg

33z8sk6.jpg

Another case for when the one above breaks:
35hkd4y.jpg

It was interesting that in HK everyone had either a Note II or an S3, with the iPhone appearing to be the third most popular. I saw Note IIs in equal numbers to the S3 which was strange as I felt like the only owner of a Note while in the UK.

Soldato
ok..decided that I will get Note2 on contract...£26 per month is not too bad ...
am looking on cashbacks and different suppliers for mobiles...should I go with p4u or dial a phone?
or maybe chitter chatter as they dont charge for mobile on £6per month contract ?
thanks
oh...please advise on thin case that can protect front and back..as thin as possible as in general, I hate cases ;(

Soldato
It was interesting that in HK everyone had either a Note II or an S3, with the iPhone appearing to be the third most popular. I saw Note IIs in equal numbers to the S3 which was strange as I felt like the only owner of a Note while in the UK.

I noticed that when i was there last November, everyone, even grannys had S3's or Note2's. iPhones were a far fewer then in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom