• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
All those people around launch telling people buying 3080s to wait for the 3080ti because it'll have 20GB of VRAM and only cost a little more.. :cry::cry:

All that wait for a measly 2GB at £1500. Good job, guys. Classic.

That was some special thinking. September 17th 2020 was the launch date. The 1st year will soon be up.

Caporegime
All those people around launch telling people buying 3080s to wait for the 3080ti because it'll have 20GB of VRAM and only cost a little more.. :cry::cry:

nV are properly taking the ****. They aren't getting any sales from me, that's for sure. If they want to play that game I'll support the opposition (if/when something is available at RRP :p Meh, who am I kidding, it'll be next-gen before prices have any chance of normalising.)

Soldato
As early on in this thread I commented that the 3080 will fall due to lack of GPU grunt, not VRAM. This looks to be even more likely according to the Lovelace/RDNA3 leaks.

Time will tell but my own experience in limited scenarios is the GPU grunt is there but the VRAM isn't. And for reference my Pimax 8KX is being run in normal or small mode and nowhere near the 4K x2 resolution. I also have to undersample to 60% SS to keep performance respectable in some games. So even a 3090 will need to run at lower settings on a Pimax 8KX.

So when I run freeflight or a small DCS Normandy mission then performance is perfectly fine at 60 FPS+ with 9.8GB VRAM used. If it is a larger mission then VRAM usage goes over 10GB and performance tanks.

if we have a simple yes or no answer then the answer is NO because you have absolutely no idea what games/sims or uses other people have. So if someone were to ask me is a 3080 good enough for hi res VR in DCS, my answer would be NO.

As LTMatt has said, is 10GB enough? For most scenarios yes, for all things no.

Permabanned

The problem with that is it is also correct for 16, 24, 48 etc.

We are discussing the 3080 flagship targeting 60FPS+ at 4K with RT and DLSS options. Is 10GB enough for that? Well today the answer still appears to be yes. Even looking at the UE5 demo the answer still appears to be yes, although it casts doubt on performance of all the consumer GPUs available today.

Caporegime
Time will tell but my own experience in limited scenarios is the GPU grunt is there but the VRAM isn't. And for reference my Pimax 8KX is being run in normal or small mode and nowhere near the 4K x2 resolution. I also have to undersample to 60% SS to keep performance respectable in some games. So even a 3090 will need to run at lower settings on a Pimax 8KX.

So when I run freeflight or a small DCS Normandy mission then performance is perfectly fine at 60 FPS+ with 9.8GB VRAM used. If it is a larger mission then VRAM usage goes over 10GB and performance tanks.

if we have a simple yes or no answer then the answer is NO because you have absolutely no idea what games/sims or uses other people have. So if someone were to ask me is a 3080 good enough for hi res VR in DCS, my answer would be NO.

Facepalm.....

So if a 3090 can't cope, a 6900xt won't cope then of course a 3080 won't cope with that usage either.....

As per usual, people just love to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Soldato
Facepalm.....

So if a 3090 can't cope, a 6900xt won't cope then of course a 3080 won't cope with that usage either.....

As per usual, people just love to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Way to miss the point. I can run that game perfectly fine with the 3080 apart from one map with more than a few assets where the FPS tanks to single digits. Well below my 6800 was capapble of playing the exact same mission at the exact same settings.

Associate
I'm still waiting for the 1st true "next gen game" on PC that's not a remake or a last gen console port or a game that tries to add fancy bits on at the end.
By the time that happens nobody will care about a 10GB 3080 anyway.

Soldato
I'm still waiting for the 1st true "next gen game" on PC that's not a remake or a last gen console port or a game that tries to add fancy bits on at the end.
By the time that happens nobody will care about a 10GB 3080 anyway.

Next gen games come to consoles first, PC doesn't generally get first party next gen games anymore, not since developers said that all pc gamers are pirates

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well if you look at it that way, then buying a PS5 or a 3080 (it doesn't matter which) is jumping the gun because only when the hardware has been out for a year will the titles trickle in that actually use its full potential. I agree with the point @weldon855 made on remakes and ports, just look at raytracing and dlss its taken since Turing hype banging on about the tech to be here now (so two years). The funny thing is next gen is just over a year away and they will pretend you need to upgrade to them cards..

Associate
I simply didn't like 10 Gb since I already have 11.

But 12 Gb is only a measly 1 more.

Only going to try for an FE 3080 Ti, If I still can't get one then it looks like I'll have to skip this gen and never have ray tracing.

Will only be playing stuff like cuphead / sonic / blasphemous at 4K for the foreseeable future after getting my lounge finished.

Soldato

Yup fail of the century.. There was zero chance Nvidia was going to give them 20GB Vram on a 3080 Ti.. Then the best one was they will get them in January 2021.

Some people don't live in the real world or they are just young people and their parents are dealing with the real world reality for them for all their demands and needs.

Anyways the truth is out there now and hoping wakes some of them up now to the reality of the world.

Soldato
Also this thread will be dead soon as Nvidia 3080 fe will be out of stock for the foreseeable future as now all parts for 3080 fe will be made into 3080Ti cards unless you buy an overpriced 3080 AIB. I see the end of the 3080 fe now as this 3080Ti is nothing more than a price correction for Nvidia.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom