• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
12GB is enough for now, even Godfall should be good with 12GB. Trouble is for this kind of money you really want 16GB or more.

You're still masticating over Godawfall? :cry:

I'm loving this more than gaming right now tbh :p Your honour this person committed murder... Ok show us the evidence...... Godfalllllllllll....... Anything more substantial than that?....... Godfallllllllllllllllllll!......

Case dismissed!

QdBn8A2.gif

:D

Although looks like godfall might also be debunked too given the performance when ray tracing is turned on for a 6800xt......

64JABaz.png

Genuinely love to see a side by side comparison now as 3080 definitely seems to be doing quite a bit better when ray tracing is turned on.

I think no mans sky generally runs better on nvidia hardware regardless of vram. Not tried it on my 3080 though tbf but definitely had a lot of issues with my vega 56 (where I had to go and tweak the ini files and not because of vram) where as a friend who was playing it at the time had a far better experience with his 1080ti, which was weird given it's vulkan based.

By "optimised", you basically mean, minimal ray tracing effects.... Tomb raider.... the worst implementation to date.

As for black ops, had a quick look and I wouldn't say the 6800xt is acceptable, at least not for my standards

cF9Espi.png

I swear the cognitive dissonance on display by some here is absolutely mind boggling.

Genuinely love to see a side by side comparison now as 3080 definitely seems to be doing quite a bit better when ray tracing is turned on.

Yep, RDNA2 only does well when reduced to console settings. Turn up the eye candy and even 16GB of VRAM can't save it.

Soldato
12gb is fine, there are no games that even have issue with the 2080ti's 11gb. It's only the 8 to 10gb range that has problems at resolutions higher than 1080p

Associate
This is funny because you render at 1080p and upscale to 4k. See Unreal Engine 5 temporal AA upscaling. DLSS etc.

Epic has developers covered. Unreal Engine 5, which is being used on console games from The Coalition and Ninja Theory, will feature upgraded anti-aliasing that's specifically designed to work with its new Nanite virtualized geometry tools.

The new Anti-Aliasing Temporal Super Resolution feature allows scenes at near-4K resolution with the resource costs of 1080p.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7960...-upscaling-is-great-for-ps5-series/index.html

02:48 - Temporal Super Resolution Unreal Engine 5.

Basically games in furture are not the games we are playing now at the moment. Basically a card thats faster at raster and has much lower DXR performance. Lacks AI cores like tensor cores. Basically has no furture and wont age like fine wine. Basically creating (Unreal Engine 5) Temporal Super Resolution for AMD hardware. Shows how much this feature is needed for future games. Because on the much bigger environments and much larger open worlds. You need to stream data into and out of VRAM. As you can get data into and out of VRAM faster with RTX IO, with its 2:1 compression ratio. You dont need to buffer data into memory. This reduses the amount of VRAM needed. You just need the data for the area you are rendering at the moment.

I have ssen lots of comments on youtube of running out of VRAM because of mods. Skyrim is one example. Thus, 10GB is too small.

Ultra Modded 'Next Gen' Photo-Realistic 2020 Skyrim SE on RTX 3080 | 4K - Warning, this photo-realistic Skyrim may ruin vanilla, base Skyrim for you forever.

Why is AI cores like tensor important? GA5 Photo Realistic because of AI.

You can see that the AI just needs something to work with. Remember this is real time and at very good performane. You dont need massive VRAM sizes or lots of large high quality textures. The AI provides the photo realistic experience. AMD have zero support for this on their latest cards, there are no AI cores like tensor. This is the direction of graphics in future. This is also how DLSS works.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just saw the review of the 3080Ti. So much for the “extra ram on the 3080Ti won’t cost much” and “better of waiting for the 3080Ti”.

Terrible price for performance as I predicted. 3080 at £649 with all the codes that came with it was a steal relative to this. After all this time there is still not a single new title worth mentioning that 10gb cannot tame :D

Soldato
Just saw the review of the 3080Ti. So much for the “extra ram on the 3080Ti won’t cost much” and “better of waiting for the 3080Ti”.

Terrible price for performance as I predicted. 3080 at £649 with all the codes that came with it was a steal relative to this. After all this time there is still not a single new title worth mentioning that 10gb cannot tame :D
That line is still correct though. Nvidia taking the **** has nothing to do with the extra 2GB VRAM.

Soldato
All that matters is the end cost to us. Not them.
That is a sentence that definitely sounded better in your head than on paper.

Nvidia's behaviour controls the end cost. And people readily defending nvidia emboldens them to take the **** even more. Which means the end cost is even worst for the consumer.

Associate
Nvidia is the only company that can get away with charging agrand for 2gbs of ram while keeping a ****** cooling solution, personally i think 10GB is not enough on the long run but here in the UK is not you like can get a better deal than a 3080FE for 650 since AMD doesnt ship to the UK, 3080FE has no competition basically (i am aware how hard they are to get, still better chances than the non existent AMD cards on the UK market right now)

Associate
Yeah, 3080 for 650 is a great deal, I would have hoped they had released a 20GB 3080 Variant for £1000 instead of the 3090 with 12GB they have released instead, I've seen some 6700XT's for sale there over £700 though.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Remember the joker threads well. They have yet to crawl out and share if they got this new card..

Nvidia...controls the end cost. And people readily defending nvidia emboldens them to take the **** even more.

Correct.

Nvidia is the only company that can get away with charging a grand for 2gbs of ram while keeping a ****** cooling solution, personally i think 10GB is not enough on the long run but here in the UK is not you like can get a better deal than a 3080FE for 650 since AMD doesnt ship to the UK, 3080FE has no competition basically

Well said.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That is a sentence that definitely sounded better in your head than on paper.

Nvidia's behaviour controls the end cost. And people readily defending nvidia emboldens them to take the **** even more. Which means the end cost is even worst for the consumer.
You obviously did not understand what I said if that is your response. Where did I claim nvidia does not control the end cost? Read it again.

Also who is defending Nvidia? Not me. Not that AMD are much better these days. None of these companies are our friends. That is why I have never had any loyalty to Nvidia or AMD. I buy what is best for me at the time.

Like I just picked up a 5900X for £413 today. Already stuck it in my sig too ;)

Soldato
You obviously did not understand what I said if that is your response. Where did I claim nvidia does not control the end cost? Read it again.

Also who is defending Nvidia? Not me. Not that AMD are much better these days. None of these companies are our friends. That is why I have never had any loyalty to Nvidia or AMD. I buy what is best for me at the time.

Like I just picked up a 5900X for £413 today. Already stuck it in my sig too ;)

Members market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom