• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
That really was a cheeky move to put up the 3080's after the Ti's - or maybe they went live at the same time but everyone was mashing F5 for a Ti and didn't really look. Dang cheeky.

Press release day was set with time I think. To get it out of the way I dont think they handled it badly, probably meant lots of people that missed the Ti were happy to get an equivalent for far cheaper! :)

Soldato
You seem to have a way of looking at every single thing I say in the worst possible way. I do not understand why you do that but it seems like it is what is causing the issue.
That's strange, I was sure I was picking the second to worst possible interpretation

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Guess i won't be watching the video, wants my credit card to verify my age or a passport Lol.
0ff74c7.png
Lol.

Don’t know why you bother to even click on it. We already been through that game in this thread and shown that is allocated vram, not what is actually in use. You need to remember, most people even on this forum still do not understand the difference between the two.

Caporegime
Lol.

Don’t know why you bother to even click on it. We already been through that game in this thread and shown that is allocated vram, not what is actually in use. You need to remember, most people even on this forum still do not understand the difference between the two.
Was just curious to see what was added to the game tbh.

Doom was amazing and I sank many hours into it getting all the collectibles and completing it on the hardest difficulty etc.

But I was so disappointed with Doom Eternal, the storyline was nothing short of diabolical in comparison and it just felt like no effort went into the game at all.

lu30j3D.png

ckWXTCC.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Guess i won't be watching the video, wants my credit card to verify my age or a passport Lol.
0ff74c7.png

Yes annoying as hell, I had to send them a picture of my passport to stop it messing up videos I had in my liked lists, many suddenly wouldn't play and all they are is music videos or random tech stuff or movie trailers. If you send passport make sure to take a picture of the passport fully open on the page with your picture and details and make sure the four corners are the two full pages open, also your name on the google account and DOB must match or they will refuse it, it is all automated and takes 1 minute to do when you understand which four corners they mean grrr...

You can watch it here mate without youtube nanny at work :- https://ytprivate.com/watch?v=f6_rMEEEY6s

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol.

Did you forget the whole 3080 vs 2080 DF controvesy? Quick refresher it was a VRAM issue. Regardless I'm sure that when this game comes out HUB will be the first to run benchmarks and we will know if there are any negative performance impacts.

Also why is anyone surprised. Of course Nvidia were going to throw 3080 owners under the bus as soon as they were no longer "the flagship card". Now that Nvidia is rocking a "mainstream" cards with more than 10GB VRAM, watch VRAM requirements for their sponsered titles mysteriously jump up.

Edit: Want i want to know is if they will go back to CP2077 and give it a "next gen upgrade". ;)

Caporegime
Yes annoying as hell, I had to send them a picture of my passport to stop it messing up videos I had in my liked lists, many suddenly wouldn't play and all they are is music videos or random tech stuff or movie trailers. If you send passport make sure to take a picture of the passport fully open on the page with your picture and details and make sure the four corners are the two full pages open, also your name on the google account and DOB must match or they will refuse it, it is all automated and takes 1 minute to do when you understand which four corners they mean grrr...

You can watch it here mate without youtube nanny at work :- https://ytprivate.com/watch?v=f6_rMEEEY6s
Cheers pal will have a look in the morning when I am at the PC.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Was just curious to see what was added to the game tbh.

Doom was amazing and I sank many hours into it getting all the collectibles and completing it on the hardest difficulty etc.

But I was so disappointed with Doom Eternal, the storyline was nothing short of diabolical in comparison and it just felt like no effort went into the game at all.

lu30j3D.png

ckWXTCC.png
Ahh, RT was added. That makes sense now as that would change things.

Yeah like you I enjoyed the previous Doom. This one was mind numbing nonstop action.

Caporegime
Lol.

Yup pretty much, people still don't understand this whole vram thing....

Found a good video earlier of days gone at "8k", so a 6800xt is using all its 16gb vram yet a 3080 is still performing slightly better and frametime graph is exactly the same....

How is that possible?!?!?! :p :D

inb4, it's dx 11 and UE 4 ;)

Will be interesting to see the doom eternal comparisons once the ray tracing and dlss update is out though. I would certainly like to think the £1k+ 3080ti and £1400 3090 would perform better than a pathetic £650 3080 with only 10gb vram :o

Can't say it was my type of game either though for the same reason of the direction it went compared to the first one, shame.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Will be interesting to see the doom eternal comparisons once the ray tracing and dlss update is out though. I would certainly like to think the £1k+ 3080ti and £1400 3090 would perform better than a pathetic £650 3080 with only 10gb vram :o

This statement is very clumsy, how often have we have CPU iterations where the tiers have notched up in price by double and you are only getting similar performance with possibly a few mhz more? Its the vendors fault for drip feeding the technology and bleeding it from the respective punters.

Soldato
Associate
Nice point on the 1060, I picked up the 6Gb at the time for that reason (of longevity - not that its was a sensible metric for PCs but I also mined ETH which doubled up).

I highlighted this part but then you elaborated the last paragraph on what I was going to point out. The DirectStorage and faster drives in general (m.2/SSD) seem to be what we didn't have back in the oldshool VRAM arguments which now make techniques, habits and dev shortcuts totally bypassing what was the norm 5-10 years back. It certainly is an interesting remit to watch - I'm hooping they don't take ages to implement it like some other features we hear about and then it is a damp squib.

Thing is we were doing texture streaming before we even had fast drives. It was a simple way to overcome vRAM limitations. You zone your map, you track player movement, you do LOD and line of sight calculations and then you start dumping out all the old unnecessary textures as you move away from areas that need them and start preemptively loading in new ones based on what zones were adjacent to the player and could be seen. Mixed with good LOD systems and being able to throw away the high res textures for distant objects made this kind of streaming even, off old and slow HDDs completely do-able. Since then it has very much become the standard in modern engines, there's really no such thing has "cache miss" today, if we can't fetch textures in time for whatever reason then the lower LOD version is used which is why sometimes with bad settings/hardware/config you see these blurry textures up close. Moving to m.2 drives and DirectStorage will just allow us to push that paradigm way further ideally to the point where loading of any real kind is a thing of the past especially on very high end configs where you have nearly 8GB/sec of sequential read and super fast parallel decompression on the GPU itself.

Associate
I believe that's capacity not usage.

It is. And look, we've been over this back at the start of the thread. People were on about Doom and Wolfenstein (both id tech engines) and how you could push "8k textures" and then "16k textures". And it turned out that all people were doing was manually setting the engine variable that assigns the texture memory pool directly. These are games which rely heavily on texture streaming from disk and they have a reserved pool of memory in vRAM for texture data, the contents of which the engine manages internally. If you look at the engine variables before/after changing visual settings in the menu you can see that the texture pool size setting in the graphics menu controls this variable and when you do something like set ultra nightmare it just whacks that up to 4.5GB. It's not actually using that space, we can infer that by leaving that value on high which I think is 2Gb or 2.5Gb and then simply test the visuals to see there is literally no difference, I did this extensively, it's also been done on loads of youtube videos comparing the same thing. Sadly as far as I can see id provide no metrics into what is going on internally in that memory pool, how much of it the engine considers "in use" which is a shame because I'd actually be interested to know what it's really doing and really using.

And of course on top of that people are measuring allocated vRAM and not in-use vRAM so you have 2 levels of over estimation inflating this value. The largest you have literally what the game has requested from the drivers (malloc), then you have how much of that the engine is really using given a certain fixed size texture memory pool, which is some fraction of that. And then of that fraction a certain amount is just reserved space but never used. And so only some fraction of the total is actually in use and necessary.

We could just be really dumb about this and say let's use the console command to put that value at say 18GB, driving total memory usage to about 22-23Gb and now we can say you need a 3090 and none of the 16Gb AMD cards are sufficient. That's essentially the argument we saw earlier in the thread to debunk if 10Gb is enough just the other way around. Either we care that the memory we've assigned is being used for something or we don't. I care, because it has actual practical implications and it's not just pee-pee measuring. If you also care then things need measuring carefully. Doom is terrible for this and that has been fairly well documented in this thread already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom