• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I prefer Far Cry 5, the story was so much better, the music too. The Seeds were fantastic. The only thing FC6 does better than FC5 is with the graphics.

Agreed, FC6 story was extremely weak and they were a bit to ambitious with features. FC5 had some of that FC3 energy, which is easily my favourite FC game.

Caporegime
Reached out to the guy on YouTubes, since a few were claiming the video 'looked fine'. Honestly not sure how they came to that conclusion, especially as it turned out he was not running the patch in that video. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. :p

Nonetheless, I asked him to retest it (original video was not maximum settings either and still had the issue), 4K Max Settings, RT+HD Texture on etc and upload a video. He came back with this, hopefully a video to follow.
8BR4ojy.png

@tommybhoy - Sounds like a similar issue you were having with the 3080 when you tried this too doesn't it?

You had 2-3 people questioning the issues in the video then when asked to timestamp where the issues were, you just said "at the beginning".... not exactly helpful. Saying it looks bad in "motion" is pointless too as we all pointed out, various things like motion blur and the other settings along with TAA being **** in motion i.e. detail gets removed then the biggest factor, compression/quality of the guys recording, as I pointed out in this video, you can very easily see low detail/textures loading as he gets closer to said things, this is called LOD, see ubis and pretty much any other games where LOD is a thing and not a "vram" thing:

i.e. from that bang4buck video:

eJ6cMOA.png

If you were so sure, surely you could have pointed out timestamps? Quite funny how you have to also ask him, uncertainty there on your part? ;)

For what it's worth, it was also well regarded that when you got to other areas of the map i.e. away from the starter/south kind of area, the issues with textures etc. became less common before the patch.

Either way, we have already done FC 6 to death in this thread:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...severely-bottlenecked-by-cpu.18938875/page-35

In there you have various 3080 owners saying the issue is fixed and they aren't encountering issues.

Not to mention a 70+ page thread here on ubi forums where they "acknowledged" the issue hence why they tagged their thread with "resolved":

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/top...urry-in-game-post-here/262?lang=en-US&page=14

As for shadows flickering, numerous people have posted about that from nvidia side on all cards, as to if it affects amd side, no idea. Personally I didn't notice any issues with shadows before or after the patch.

Essentially don't let this be like your HZD thing again :o

Na, just play FC5 and put on a Mexican radio station in the background.

Exactly this.

Wish I still had my conenct+ sub as want to go and record some footage from my end but no way I'm subbing again just for FC 6 and no way I'm paying for it :D

Caporegime

Out of interest, what happens if you travel further up the map? (by that I mean area and not just walking north :p)

As I mentioned:

For what it's worth, it was also well regarded that when you got to other areas of the map i.e. away from the starter/south kind of area, the issues with textures etc. became less common before the patch.

When the patch arrived, I was well north and haven't played since my post here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35289914/

EDIT:

Also, how much ram have you got? As I and others with 3080s mentioned, our RAM usage jumped up by 8+GB with the patch, can see the difference in my ram usage between the screenshots in the fc 6 thread

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Appreciate you taking the time Tommy.

Looks like the only issue that was fixed was the texture degradation as pointed out by the game patch notes and confirmed by the comments on YouTube. Also looks like pcgameshardware results are validated, not that they needed to be.

:cry: ;) :p

Inbound debunk. Was this back in the FC thread where we mentioned this and it was skimmed over as 'games fault' and endless links to interwebs experts and user ranking web pages that flooded the pages with bumf so people lost interest? Was an enjoyable thread besides the OT parrot stuff.

Caporegime
Think I might just stump up £11 or whatever it is for the sub to get some footage from my end ;) Of course, no doubt that will be ignored and "questioned" too :cry: Won't be till later or weekend though.

EDIT: rm - video didn't/doesn't have patch so irrelevant

:cry: ;) :p

Inbound debunk. Was this back in the FC thread where we mentioned this and it was skimmed over as 'games fault' and endless links to interwebs experts and user ranking web pages that flooded the pages with bumf so people lost interest? Was an enjoyable thread besides the OT parrot stuff.

interwebs experts???

You mean the very developers themselves who acknowledged the issue and "resolved" it not to mention 70+ pages worth of interwebs experts.... :cry:

It was an enjoyable thread, shame about the fingers in ears with no substance to their posts from certain people though.

Soldato
I think you are clouding the issues into one bag and the dev's resolved it. As we have seen drivers mature, patches thrown out and bugs fixed whatever you refer to in 70+ pages isn't all applicable in its current state is it?

Popcorn.gif
What dastardly deed will you commit now? Stay tuned!
But in all honesty this was already discussed in the Far Cry 6 thread. I'm confused as to why it's "new". :)

giphy.gif

It will be debunked shortly, don't worry. Even the tech press (that used max settings + HD Textures and cited issues) and game developers who made the game were debunked. Now users with 3080s will be debunked, the cycle continues.

@LtMatt checking in what were the magical fixes with the patch. I thought this new info pointed to: Bad frame times, low min FPS and crashes to desktop which went away with that patch? :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think you are clouding the issues into one bag and the dev's resolved it. As we have seen drivers mature, patches thrown out and bugs fixed whatever you refer to in 70+ pages isn't all applicable in its current state is it?

giphy.gif

@LtMatt checking in what were the magical fixes with the patch. I thought this new info pointed to: Bad frame times, low min FPS and crashes to desktop which went away with that patch? :confused:

If you read through the 70+ page thread and even the fc thread, you will see how the issues with textures not rendering/loading was down to "vram and asset memory management", you had plenty of people posting evidence of this with detailed metrics, hence why the developers looked into it too.... obviously whatever they done to fix this (which given the higher ram usage probably involves some caching stuff happening) aspect solved a few things (which is kind of the way with "development"....), you will see 3080 owners saying textures, perf/stuttering is fixed for them, not sure why that is so hard to grasp???? You even had shaz or whoever it was with his 3080ti saying both textures and stuttering were fixed.... People experiencing different issues etc. on different pc setups, shock horror....

And again, the other issues your man mentions such as ctd, I never had this after said patch (the only CTD I had was with the second patch, my game would ctd straight after loading the game opening credits, which was reported by various people and fixed in the 3rd patch) and the shadows flickering/missing, again, read the thread and elsewhere, seems to be somewhat widespread problem across all nvidia gpus, can't say I noticed it though.

Like I said, I'll get the game myself again and do some footage.

Caporegime
I've posted the patch notes a few pages back. Funnily enough, the developers don't mention anything about bad frame times, single digit FPS, crashes to desktop, or flickering shadows being fixed. All that was mentioned was that they made changes to improve the textures blurriness for some players. They then proceeded to reiterate the requirements and mention that if you fall below them, you may experience performance and visual issues.

Here's a look at the official release notes, and what was said verbatim so there can be no confusion.
PC
  • HD Texture Pack – Some assets appearing blurry
Developer comment: We have made some changes for the HD Texture Pack on PC that should decrease the blurriness that appeared for some players when using the HD Texture Pack. When looking into these reports, we are seeing players using graphics cards with less than 12 GB of VRAM available. When using the HD Texture Pack with less than the minimum required VRAM available, the performance and the look of the game can be worse than without the pack.

This probably explains why some users, like Gerardfraser and Tommy, are having issues at 4K max settings with the HD Texture pack.

The good thing about this is that Tommy is completely impartial in all of this. So if it works fine, he'll say it does. Likewise though, if it doesn't work well he'll shine a light on that for us all to see it. Some people are so emotionally invested in being right, they will go to great lengths to try and prove it and let everyone know about it. If you look carefully, you can see this phenomenon unfolding right before our very eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was just reading that page myself matt.

Also on the Download page for the pack:
Next to the HD Texture Pack (>11GB VRAM required) option, select Install.

Please note that the minimum requirement for running the HD Texture Pack for Far Cry 6 is 12GB of VRAM. For 4K configurations, you will need 16GB of VRAM.

If you download and run the HD Texture Pack with lower VRAM capabilities, you will encounter performance issues while playing.

This is why the shaz or whoever post is not really making sense here as the Ti has 12Gb VRAM..

Like I have said its only 4k and high settings you will stumble into any issues on that hardware. The reason reams and reams of games wont apply to this is obvious and the fact as mentioned most people are using 1440p displays. You cant debunk the topic when running reduced resolutions. The more people that move the that res the likelihood of the issues being shared will rise.

Regurgitating boiler plate, canned replies of 'this is why you can turn down settings on the PC' is not the rebuttal, its can you see instances of the card struggling because nvidia didn't provide enough (or calculated it should do), or force this situation to remedy through under the hood techniques so that it can avoid problems.

When looking into these reports, we are seeing players using graphics cards with less than 12 GB of VRAM available. When using the HD Texture Pack with less than the minimum required VRAM available, the performance and the look of the game can be worse than without the pack.

I refer back to ECH post then.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah but where is Guapo?
Guapo is one of the good things about FC6, even though it is completely ridiculous. :cry:
This is why the shaz or whoever post is not really making sense here are the Ti has 12Gb VRAM..
Shaz switched from a 9900K to a 12700K Alder Lake CPU and said his minimums jumped significantly in Far Cry 6 from memory, so good chance that helped things. He definitely said the textures were fixed after the patch. He's using a 12GB card though, so not a useful comparison to the 3080 given the requirements.

Caporegime
Again:

- are multiple people having CTD?
- flickering shadows - is this being argued to do with vram? If so, why are 3090 and 3080ti owners reporting the same???

Again, just like HZD, 1-2 peoples experiences against how many over on ubi forums etc.????

Still waiting to hear about tommys ram and also be interested to hear what cpu he has.

EDIT:

Shaz cpu upgrade improved stuttering but iirc, he also stated the patch resolved texture issues and "further" fixed/improved the remaining stutters he had i.e. my point was that the fix for the texture issue also had a knock on effect, again, if you worked in development, you should/would know this...

Last edited:
Associate
Shaz cpu upgrade improved stuttering but iirc, he also stated the patch resolved texture issues and "further" fixed/improved the remaining stutters he had i.e. my point was that the fix for the texture issue also had a knock on effect, again, if you worked in development, you should/would know this...

No need to wonder if your recall is correct, it should be quotable.

This is a game where they have stated the HD pack requires more than 10GB to run. Can't complain if 10GB doesn't run it. You COULD complain that it it perhaps should be possible to make it work with 10GB, but I'm not a game developer, I have no idea.

Soldato
:cry:

I may just get @Purgatory to post as he can say anything without being quote spammed. Need some of that teflon! :p

:cry:

aG74ttp.gif

Morning mate ;).

This thread is funny you know why ?

A lot of salty people on here because they didn't get a 3080 10GB at MSRP and then there are some here that are just trolling people that have a 3080 10GB. The honest reality is if the card is doing what you need why does it matter ? The 3080 10GB is a great card for the money especially in the circumstances the GPU market has ended up in now, same with even the 3090 if you got one at MSRP as you did with an FE model, it's really funny how things turned out and even makes a 3090 now look "cheap" :cry:.. The card we all screamed at "are they crazy at that price for a gaming card, that in reality is 10-15% faster than the standard 3080". To me the value was in the VRAM with the 3090 and NVLINK as that's what I need for my work, so to me was a bargain compared to a RTX Titan at £2500..

The 3080 10GB is fine at 4K and only limited by the very odd game but then all you do is lower 1 or 2 settings and all is good and in most cases you can't tell the difference (we have been doing this since graphics cards existed, anyone remember "can it run crysis" no card could at max settings when it came out even new cards). Yes we had the odd game that tried to rock the boat from one GPU maker that tried to make their 12GB/16GB cards stand out more by putting a higher VRAM limit on some games to get the full ultra experience but all these companies play these silly games as we know Nvidia is famous for it with their gimpwares and as customers of these companies we should make a noise when they do such things even if we own their product or the competitors product as it damages the gaming community and fun we all want out of the games.

I think why I have teflon on this forum as you put it .. is because most people that have been here long enough know I do not have any fanboy mentality to these companies, I just want what is best at the time or the product that does what I need, I'm only on Nvidia because my work requires cuda, if I was a gamer only then there was a very good chance I would have got a 6800xt when they came out at msrp and a 3080 just so I can see which I like best.

Also same goes with cpus, don't care who makes it as long as it's one that does what I need and proven to be good.

Also I like to joke around with you guys but some don't realise i'm joking sometimes and trying to make the mood more fun in the thread that sometimes becomes a bit too mean or taken to overly serious levels for a product that is for lets be honest "gaming", I would hate to see some of these people in really serious situations in life. Honestly I love this community we have on here because we get all sides of the conversation (even intel Dave is entertaining and AMD Matt has a lot of really good information that helps the community, even when we all don't agree on things sometimes), but sometimes we just need to step back and remember it's nothing more than a gaming product and yes some of us like to argue over them because we are tech enthusiasts and don't really care that much about the games side but love the tech.

Anyways if some of you guys are wanting a AMD 6500xt at £200 get ready for it soon, get one because you need one, if not let the people that need a cheap gpu buy them please, don't buy them to think you can scalp them later please. Post here from @Gibbo regarding it :-

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35377555/

Guys todays new sub £200 graphics card shall appear here:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-6500-xt-series

Ignore the memory kit that is just to make the website display the section. The new products will appear around 2pm this afternoon.

As the price is supported for limited amount of units sold (as its below trade cost), we do not expect sub £200 to last that long unfortunately (be quick), typical MSRP shenanigans we see with every GPU launch these days. Totally miss leading to the customer and just makes retailers look to been greedy, when the reality is manufacturers are setting unrealistic MSRP's or it is the board partners been too greedy, who it is, well that is unknown but it has been the usual shenanigans now for the past couple of years with GPU launches.

Those gaming at 1080P it is a very good card, it is also particular very good at some of the older Esport games and at its price point no other card currently available new comes close to it.

:p;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom