• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I pretty much agree with you, i recon 6 / 8GB VRAM will be the typical standard for a few years.

It just worries me what is going to happen,after 2022 if AMD/Nvidia decide to increase VRAM. Even the RTX IO/MS Directstorage/AMD equivalent will have its limits for most PC owners,due to SATA/PCI-E 3.0 SSDs being widespread. I suspect it will work best with PCI-E 4.0 SSDs,etc.

Soldato
I suppose it won't affect a number here,as they will upgrade every generation anyway!! :p

I just hope AMD doesn't do the same. With Navi the RX5600XT had the same amount of VRAM as the RTX2060/GTX1660 Super.

My logic is that anyone looking at the 3xxx series of GPUs is looking at them for 4k gaming or at a push, ultrawide gaming at a high refresh rate. For the users that do want to game at 4k/120hz, yes, they will likely have to upgrade every generation for a while to keep up with the increased demands which 4k is putting on our GPUs.

Otherwise at 1080p and 1440 I struggle, outside of a few games, to really understand the need to invest in the more expensive 3xxx GPUs when you can grab a bargain like a used 2080/2080ti for a bargain basement price. If I gamed at 1080p or even 1440p (outside of RDR2 and Star Citizen), I just see no need to go higher than an RTX 2080 which will all be sold for a literal bargain with the release of the 3xxx series of cards.

From a value perspective, surely it makes more sense to buy one of the extremely well-priced second hand 2xxx series GPUs (2080, 2080ti) and bag the change.

I honestly see the 3xxx series as a 'must have' upgrade for 4k, super ultrawide and ultrawide (even then, I think a 2080 is more than good enough for 99% of games).

Associate
My logic is that anyone looking at the 3xxx series of GPUs is looking at them for 4k gaming or at a push, ultrawide gaming at a high refresh rate. For the users that do want to game at 4k/120hz, yes, they will likely have to upgrade every generation for a while to keep up with the increased demands which 4k is putting on our GPUs.

Otherwise at 1080p and 1440 I struggle, outside of a few games, to really understand the need to invest in the more expensive 3xxx GPUs when you can grab a bargain like a used 2080/2080ti for a bargain basement price. If I gamed at 1080p or even 1440p (outside of RDR2 and Star Citizen), I just see no need to go higher than an RTX 2080 which will all be sold for a literal bargain with the release of the 3xxx series of cards.

From a value perspective, surely it makes more sense to buy one of the extremely well-priced second hand 2xxx series GPUs (2080, 2080ti) and bag the change.

I honestly see the 3xxx series as a 'must have' upgrade for 4k, super ultrawide and ultrawide (even then, I think a 2080 is more than good enough for 99% of games).

Agree with you and then some regarding 1080p gaming mate. I play 1920 x 1200 60fps. I run an overclocked Vega 56, overclocked custom water cooled 2600k, 8GB Ram and run my games from a hard drive. Anything more is overkill.

Soldato
Agree with you and then some regarding 1080p gaming mate. I play 1920 x 1200 60fps. I run an overclocked Vega 56, overclocked custom water cooled 2600k, 8GB Ram and run my games from a hard drive. Anything more is overkill.

Yup. You should be sorted for ages.

And when you do eventually want to ugrade, you'll have a hell of a lot of gpus on the second hand market which will be even cheaper.

1080p/1440p gaming is where PC has TREMENDOUS value. Like value beyond anything I can imagine given backwards compatability, but then PC users still somehow buy into the new GPU hype and spend a big chunk of cash which goes under-utilised in their systems.

Soldato

Surely it would make more sense for 1440p people to get the 3060? And for 1080p people to get the 3050 Ti and 3050?

I can't see people letting their 2000 series cards go low enough to compete with this lower end.

Soldato
Surely it would make more sense for 1440p people to get the 3060? And for 1080p people to get the 3050 Ti and 3050?

I can't see people letting their 2000 series cards go low enough to compete with this lower end.

When the 3060 is eventually releases, maybe.

My money would still be on a bargain basement used 2070S, 2080 and 2080ti. The prices are dropping so quick with the knee jerk reaction to the 3xxx series % based cherry picked benchmarks.

I think the second hand prices are going to be insanely good.

Associate
When the 3060 is eventually releases, maybe.

My money would still be on a bargain basement used 2070S, 2080 and 2080ti. The prices are dropping so quick with the knee jerk reaction to the 3xxx series % based cherry picked benchmarks.

I think the second hand prices are going to be insanely good.
I paid £220 quid for a customer return Vega 56 pulse with 6 months warranty from overclockers almost 3 years ago, that and second hand 1070's are the 1080p / 1440p market.

Soldato

Mainstream GPUs have kind of gone a bit stale currently. Used to be the case for years,the mainstream GPU of a new generation used to be close to the previous high end. Now a £300 GPU can't even get close to a GTX1080TI from early 2017.

Hopefully this generation will drop GTX1080TI level performance down the stack,as I think qHD and 4K adoption is kind of hindered by a lack of GPU power. Higher resolution monitors are not expensive anymore.

For me I won't upgrade until,we can get more VRAM under £500. I already found scenarios where 8GB has been a problem,so I am staying put until we get some improvement in that area.

Associate
Mainstream GPUs have kind of gone a bit stale currently. Used to be the case for years,the mainstream GPU of a new generation used to be close to the previous high end. Now a £300 GPU can't even get close to a GTX1080TI from early 2017.

Hopefully this generation will drop GTX1080TI level performance down the stack,as I think qHD and 4K adoption is kind of hindered by a lack of GPU power. Higher resolution monitors are not expensive anymore.

For me I won't upgrade until,we can get more VRAM under £500. I already found scenarios where 8GB has been a problem,so I am staying put until we get some improvement in that area.
The 8800 GT / 9800 GT and the HD 4850 was the last time I seen a true mainstream value GPU with a worthwhile increase in performance and decrease in price.

Associate
Agreed. After the HD5000/Fermi generation,we started having price escalation,and things went all a bit crap,as mainstream GPUs became lower and lower tier,relative to the top.
Exactly, each equivalent generation cost more with little if any performance increase. The GTX 970 vs the GTX 1060 3 or 6gb 1 or 2 percent performance upgrade is a perfect example.

Soldato
Exactly, each equivalent generation cost more with little if any performance increase. The GTX 970 vs the GTX 1060 3 or 6gb 1 or 2 percent performance upgrade is a perfect example.

The tiers get moved up in price too. With the RTX2060/RX5700XT ,the mainstream tier moved up closer to £350. Hopefully at least,this time,the "mainstream" GPUs at least better the GTX1080TI.

Soldato
I was having a look at the radeon control panel and saw HBCC, I've heard of it but when I read the blurb it clicked. I was having regular 5 second interval split second freeze/framerate drop in Gears 5, I had to turn down the graphics settings to avoid this. However I have not got a 1440p 10bit colour FI27Q-P, 165Hz monitor and obviously this will be using more memory/ VRAM ect. I enabled this HBCC and set the driver to 10bit, and I have had no stutters on almost all ultra (I did a precursory tweak of the ingame settings and dropped some things like ambient occlusion to med/low). My FPS in the arena is 60-70fps where you do the training/multiplayer vs. FPS in escape is 100FPS. I have just overclocked my VRAM to 930MHZ without doing any bios swaps or registry tweaks for my RX vega 56. I plan on upgrading and fitting custom watercooling when the new AMD card drops.

Soldato
The tiers get moved up in price too. With the RTX2060/RX5700XT ,the mainstream tier moved up closer to £350. Hopefully at least,this time,the "mainstream" GPUs at least better the GTX1080TI.
I believe the 3070 will beat a 2080ti if I'm not mistaken, I think performance is being rolled out to the masses. However I'm an AMD fanboy, and will run with whatever they put out.

Associate
I was having a look at the radeon control panel and saw HBCC, I've heard of it but when I read the blurb it clicked. I was having regular 5 second interval split second freeze/framerate drop in Gears 5, I had to turn down the graphics settings to avoid this. However I have not got a 1440p 10bit colour FI27Q-P, 165Hz monitor and obviously this will be using more memory/ VRAM ect. I enabled this HBCC and set the driver to 10bit, and I have had no stutters on almost all ultra (I did a precursory tweak of the ingame settings and dropped some things like ambient occlusion to med/low). My FPS in the arena is 60-70fps where you do the training/multiplayer vs. FPS in escape is 100FPS. I have just overclocked my VRAM to 930MHZ without doing any bios swaps or registry tweaks for my RX vega 56. I plan on upgrading and fitting custom watercooling when the new AMD card drops.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...owners-thread.18789712/page-167#post-33902530
Have a read of my post 2nd last on that page...

Soldato
I believe the 3070 will beat a 2080ti if I'm not mistaken, I think performance is being rolled out to the masses. However I'm an AMD fanboy, and will run with whatever they put out.

The RTX3070 is more enthusiast level at nearly £500,and the 70 series class tends to match/beat the previous high end GPU now. It used to be the 60 series many years ago,and then it moved to the 70 series,but that has moved up in price too.

Associate
The RTX3070 is more enthusiast level at nearly £500,and the 70 series class tends to match/beat the previous high end GPU now. It used to be the 60 series many years ago,and then it moved to the 70 series,but that has moved up in price too.
RTX 3070 is far beyond what would once be called "enthusiast" imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom