• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Here's what 4K, RT On, HD Textures, FSR Off looks like for me ;)

Seems okay with FSR @ UQ though...

It's possible that when they fixed the bug that caused low resolution textures to appear on nvidia cards it increased the VRAM enough that you will not be able to get away with running those settings now on the 10GB card.
They've definitely made progress on the saving-related stutters and in general, was pleasantly surprised when I reinstalled it a week or two ago. Not sure on the vram side as I have 16 GB but they've also borked some settings combination between FSR & RT for me unfortunately, with the game basically underutilising the GPU if I have no FSR while RT is on, but ok without RT (and no FSR). One step forward, two steps back sadly.

Soldato
When the 2080 released with just 8gb VRAM and was the same speed as the 1080ti for the same price I don't remember a 300+ page thread about that card yet here we are with people trying to put holes in the 3080 a card with 10gb VRAM, 25% faster than a 2080ti and 400 quid cheaper.

It seems to me that 3090 owners don't like it cause it's nipping at their heels for less than half the price and AMD owners just like to use the VRAM arguement to shift the narrative from their own cards poor RT.

Soldato
10Gb was never enough in the first place for the life of the gpu, running it on optimal settings within it's 10Gb budget it's a cracking gpu.

But for all the people with a good grasp of common sense- bringing out the 12Gb ones so they didn't run out@1440p never mind 4K is all you need to know. :p
I dont regret my purchase, £650 in the current market for the grunt is hard to argue against. But its annoying 10 gig isnt enough for my needs. The 1080ti it replaced only had an extra gig, so would have only been moderately less bad on VRAM if I kept it but with much weaker rendering performance, and without the new tech.

I expect 4080 to match AMD with 16 gigs. Every 2 gens Nvidia usually rectify VRAM capacity.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I updated LtMatt’s chart to V4 :)

Scenario

The question of is 10GB enough on a 3080 is asked.
  • Unbiased forum users begin to explain 10GB is enough in 99.9% of scenarios.
  • Many explain that they prefer the lower price afforded to them by having the less vram and that the extra vram adds to the cost of the card and the extra cost is not worth it to them.
  • Some explain that even after two years there is yet a single game worth playing that has come out that needs more than 10gb.
  • Others explain the problem with the 3080 is it runs out of grunt before it does of vram majority of the time.

Once we've reached this stage, one of three things can occur; acceptance, deflation or denial.

• Acceptance
    • The user accepts that the reasons given above and moves on.

• Deflection
    • Forum users ignore the examples provided and deflects using a question that is designed in a way where a single example of 10gb not being enough is needed.
      • An AMD sponsored title called Godfall (a game no one here on this forum is interested in) is used extensively to answer this carefully constructed question while waiting for something good to come out (no other must play game ever does).
      • Another AMD sponsored title that falls short of expectations but is better than Godfall begings to be used.
      • Suddenly Godfall is no longer used as an example as if does not even exist and Far Cry 6 becomes the new poster child that is used exclusively to answer this question.

Unbiased users try to once again explain that the amount of people interested in playing FC6 and happens to be a 4K is very small. At this point we reach denial.

• Denial
    • I don't care what anyone says, it does not align with my beliefs and therefore I will keep pushing my narrative by using my carefully framed question whenever the topic comes up.
    • Oh and I can’t stand Nexus :p

The cycle will start over again when this happens:
  • An AMD fanboy or an 3090 user that wants to grind his axe bumps the thread that has been inactive for some time to stir **** up with something they have found online that pushes their narrative :D

Caporegime
Feel free to edit or add to the above if I missed anything :p :cry: :D

Glorious :D

Was going to say I may have to provide some updates :p

- Godfall was no longer used due to AMD ******** the bed with RT, sorry the "HDR" AMD based setting wasn't enabled.....

64JABaz.png

A 3090 also has some issues in this title

- clutching at straws with other games i.e. halo infinite, RE village, doom eternal, microsoft flight sim, HZD etc. all of which was "anecdotal" claims and quickly debunked by the debunker

- when an amd based gpu system faces some stuttering, apparently it is a local system issue, however, according to the same people.... when it comes to a nvidia gpu based system and stutter, it's 100% vram and nothing else

- when you point out that gpus with more vram such as rnda 2 or 3090s are also facing stuttering/fps drops, it is fingers in ears and ignored especially if a 3080 doesn't show stuttering e.g. my 3080 Re village vs bang4bucks 3090 re village footage

- when you point out texture issues on an amd gpu based system in a supposed title where the 3080 suffers because of lack of vram i.e. re village, it is also conveniently ignored and we have the "video encoding" or/and "it's the mod" reason

- apparently 3080 owners who play on 1440p and 4k displays will be upgrading to new gpus to avoid any potential vram issues even though we have all said we want more grunt since "all" current gpus are lacking grunt for our "needs" as evidenced multiple times

:cry: :D

Soldato
I updated LtMatt’s chart to V4 :)

Scenario

The question of is 10GB enough on a 3080 is asked.
  • Although no-it isn't enough, unbiased forum users begin to explain 10GB is enough in 99.9% of scenarios.
  • Many explain that they prefer the lower price afforded to them by having the less vram and that the extra vram adds to the cost of the card and the extra cost is not worth it to them.
  • Some explain that even after two years there is yet a single game worth playing that has come out that needs more than 10gb.
  • Others explain the problem with the 3080 is it runs out of grunt before it does of vram majority of the time.

Once we've reached this stage, one of three things can occur; acceptance, deflation or denial.

• Acceptance
    • The user accepts that the reasons given above and moves on.

• Deflection
    • Forum users ignore the examples provided and deflects using a question that is designed in a way where a single example of 10gb not being enough is needed.
      • An AMD sponsored title called Godfall (a game no one here on this forum is interested in) is used extensively to answer this carefully constructed question while waiting for something good to come out (no other must play game ever does).
      • Another AMD sponsored title that falls short of expectations but is better than Godfall begings to be used.
      • Suddenly Godfall is no longer used as an example as if does not even exist and Far Cry 6 becomes the new poster child that is used exclusively to answer this question.

Unbiased users try to once again explain that the amount of people interested in playing FC6 and happens to be a 4K is very small. At this point we reach denial.

• Denial
    • I don't care what anyone says, it does not align with my beliefs and therefore I will keep pushing my narrative by using my carefully framed question whenever the topic comes up.
    • Oh and I can’t stand Nexus :p

The cycle will start over again when this happens:
  • An AMD fanboy or an 3090 user that wants to grind his axe bumps the thread that has been inactive for some time to stir **** up with something they have found online that pushes their narrative :D
Fixed:p

Soldato
Was a fun type up. I am glad to see you

Looks at sold prices for 2nd hand 3090's and 6900XT's on auction site :eek: ooof! Must sting a bit.

Time for a shuffle and cheap upgrade looking at 3080 sold prices

Mind you, can get brand new 6900XT or 6950XT for £100 more than a new 3080, pricing is now about right for the performance uplift - and farcry6 is £20...

Prices not aged like fine wine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeabbutt, I could play FC6 at 4k with a specific set of parameters before you, by paying £700+ for the privilege. If it was a graphical jump like Crysis was at the time, I could understand it.

A very happy 3080 thread popped up. No doubt that'll trigger some overpaid/no choice/FOMO purchased hate to bash that thread.

Caporegime
Imagine having to mine as much as one possibly could in order to justify the 3090 purchase :cry:

@TNA when gullible lists his 3090 on mm for <£500, I might have to change that half eaten ham sandwich to a mouldy half eaten ham sandwich :p In fact, with all that mining, it will just be the half eaten ham sandwich that will be offered ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Salty about what though? What have I missed out on playing? Still waiting on a game to come out that I want to play that even my 8GB card can't deal with, let alone 10GB :cry:

Plus I still made more profit after selling my 3080 after playing all the most taxing games I had :D

Caporegime
Salty about what though? What have I missed out on playing? Still waiting on a game to come out that I want to play that even my 8GB card can't deal with, let alone 10GB :cry:

Plus I still made more profit after selling my 3080 after playing all the most taxing games I had :D
Few understand

:cry: :D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom