1930s Semi Refurb - Part 11 of ... (Summer House)

Soldato
OP
I mean the screw/rod base standard that Oakwood do. I watched a 30min video and seems OK to install but slightly concerned over the "it'll be reet" type sentiment :D but I guess lots of others have done it.

Yeah it's probably gonna be 10k ish. It's only going to be a big shed really. I'll insulate the floor just incase for future but I'm gonna leave it fairly bare inside. The mrs is dead set against bifolds for a shed but I don't think French doors will be much better :D

Saw this cladding which I thought looked nice.
Ah yeah the rods will be grand. I preferred them over pad for several reasons, but avoiding roots was one of the key ones. Get yourself to BAPP - I paid 423 for 30 including 150 nuts and 60 square washers (nobody bothers with the shoe method anymore).

I actually book marked that southern roofing / bison stuff yesterday. It's just so spenny even if you're only doing the front!

Soldato
I'm hoping to use corrugated sheet cladding for two sides of my structure.

Should only be about £200 for two sides.

Then something nicer for the two visible sides.

Soldato
Ah yeah the rods will be grand. I preferred them over pad for several reasons, but avoiding roots was one of the key ones. Get yourself to BAPP - I paid 423 for 30 including 150 nuts and 60 square washers (nobody bothers with the shoe method anymore).

I actually book marked that southern roofing / bison stuff yesterday. It's just so spenny even if you're only doing the front!
Ah, great. I'll be sure to make a thread and waste your time wrt suppliers :D.

I haven't really worked out the cost I just want it to "look good" and last a long time. If it costs 10k ish for a nice looking shed/shell then so be it. My wife is against even having electrics into it currently :D

Soldato
OP

I haven't really worked out the cost I just want it to "look good" and last a long time. If it costs 10k ish for a nice looking shed/shell then so be it. My wife is against even having electrics into it currently :D
Yeah no issues. You might beat me to cladding based on my track record :cry:

I'm having a similar goal tbh. I don't have budget for proper CU/sparky/new armour wire - so basic water tight box is initial goal. I'll then chip away progressively and learn what the space can actually be useful for! (Beyond basic office).

Soldato
OP

Same (y)

Soldato

Shouldn't you spend paternity time doing parent things? I know someone who thought paternity would be a walk in the park and he could do all sorts but it wasn't and he couldn't.

Soldato
I reckon Im gonna build one about 2.7m height (and 1.8m away from boundary line). So it SHOULD require planning but to be honest my neighbours won't actually be able to see it

I could submit a planning application but there's a 12week determination period and I'm going to start in 4 weeks (I have 3 months paternity leave :D)

Reckon I'll be reet? I think I'll chance it.

Y5zRaNF.jpeg

P. S. how solid do you think the ground "piles" are>? my concern is I'll have a lot of tree roots but I could just adjust

Im gonna go around 8m wide X 3.5m deep in the back section taking up most the back swing/shed area in the picture above.

Consider that one day, a neighbour (but literally could be anyone locally) decided to report it, then you are instantly in breach. So you could be asked to put it right (which you can't easily at all) or apply for retro? Not sure how that tends to work out.

Soldato
Consider that one day, a neighbour (but literally could be anyone locally) decided to report it, then you are instantly in breach. So you could be asked to put it right (which you can't easily at all) or apply for retro? Not sure how that tends to work out.
I believe you can just retroactively apply, and I believe there is some agreement somewhere that if the structure has been in place for 6 years then it is automatically passed? That could be ******* so happy to be corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

Ah yeah I wanted something like that on the non visible sides of mine.

Shouldn't you spend paternity time doing parent things? I know someone who thought paternity would be a walk in the park and he could do all sorts but it wasn't and he couldn't.

My wife is off also during that period and he's already 9 weeks. To be honest I reckon will take up to 20 days and it will be to store his bikes and junk :D. I'll also be doing a patio which is a very labour intensive job, another maybe 20 days

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah first few months are pretty dull - just keep the fridge stocked and the washing done. I built a patio in my 4 weeks (from birth). This time I have 4 weeks and a 4 year old to contend with so maybe not as ambitious :cry:

I was going to start a thread about a similar thing and then stumbled upon yours @dlockers. I'm in the very early stages of convincing myself that I need to rip down my existing cabin and DIY a new one entirely. I have what I believe to be a Dunster cabin, or something of very similar construction. We inherited it when we moved in. It is solid 45mm tongue/groove stuff which slots one over the other. 4.5 x 2.5 ish metres. It's solid. Good roof. But it's seen better days and is rotten around the lower door frame and some of the floor. Sadly, the previous house owners that built it or had it built, decided to lay it on the bare garden (some shingle and mud). Inevitably, someone jumped through the floor earlier in the year after throwing a good darts score. ;)
The problem with the Dunster style cabins are that each timber expands and contracts in the seasons and it moves. So you can't really take them seriously as structures as you can't attach anything to the internal "walls" as they move. So you can't really batten and insulate without the structure being at war with you. They are cabins to remain as summer houses/sheds really.

TBH cabins are all like that, your not supposed to use any fixings on them, as timber when outside shrinks and contracts naturally. Thats why you see so many sheds and outbuildings with cracked, warped etc wood.
The only way to 100% stop timber moving is to ensure it is fully sealed.

You can insulate cabins, mine has the floor, roof and back done. What you have to do is to in effect gap it. So only some dimensions are fixed and the others are allowed to move.
Eg mine at the back has a frame with PIR inside, its "hard" attached to the top and one side, then the other side and bottom are loosely attached with fixings that will allow movement.

Same on the inside, eg you want to mount something you either do it on one log, or you ensure that there is enough movement potential in what your fixing. The easiest way is to fix one end solid and have the other end in effect as a slot.
Its not particularly hard to do if your good at DIY and some basic carpentry.

"Balancing" the wood if you do anything is a good plan as well. Eg your not attaching green wood mid summer when the cabin will be at its smallest with maximum contraction.

I get why they say don't attach anything since many people are morons and wouldn't follow the how to attach instructions properly.
I am pretty dubious they actually move anywhere near as much as they claim as well TBH. I guess its we quote the worst case as that way we cannot get caught out. Based on the height of our doors I suspect the absolute maximum it "grows" is about 0.5cm.

Soldato
TBH cabins are all like that, your not supposed to use any fixings on them, as timber when outside shrinks and contracts naturally. Thats why you see so many sheds and outbuildings with cracked, warped etc wood.
The only way to 100% stop timber moving is to ensure it is fully sealed.

You can insulate cabins, mine has the floor, roof and back done. What you have to do is to in effect gap it. So only some dimensions are fixed and the others are allowed to move.
Eg mine at the back has a frame with PIR inside, its "hard" attached to the top and one side, then the other side and bottom are loosely attached with fixings that will allow movement.

Same on the inside, eg you want to mount something you either do it on one log, or you ensure that there is enough movement potential in what your fixing. The easiest way is to fix one end solid and have the other end in effect as a slot.
Its not particularly hard to do if your good at DIY and some basic carpentry.

"Balancing" the wood if you do anything is a good plan as well. Eg your not attaching green wood mid summer when the cabin will be at its smallest with maximum contraction.

I get why they say don't attach anything since many people are morons and wouldn't follow the how to attach instructions properly.
I am pretty dubious they actually move anywhere near as much as they claim as well TBH. I guess its we quote the worst case as that way we cannot get caught out. Based on the height of our doors I suspect the absolute maximum it "grows" is about 0.5cm.

I've seen gaps develop in mine which can look a bit rubbish. 20 logs stacked on top of each other can easily each change in size by a few mm. That adds up. I mean I understand the appeal of cabin kits. For 3/4K you can have a shedload of timber dropped off by a lorry, and assemble within a day.

Soldato
OP
Did you use a track like this for cutting the osb? Trying to work out if its worthwhile. Normally I tend to free hand fairly well with my circular saw or just clamp a level to it, not sure if that's a bodge :D

Na, i didn't bother with the track saw for osb. It came imperial so most needing trimming to metric (comes at 124 instead of 120). You can do this with a skill saw easy enough. And then there were only 1 or 2 long cuts tbh.

Soldato
Na, i didn't bother with the track saw for osb. It came imperial so most needing trimming to metric (comes at 124 instead of 120). You can do this with a skill saw easy enough. And then there were only 1 or 2 long cuts tbh.

I saw this on one of the YouTube vids too. Why build in metric and trim each sheet, why not just make the centres 16"?

Soldato
Awesome thread!

I did a shed in this construction back in 2020 and it's been great, perfect in winter and summer and looks like it'll be around for a long long time!

I also compromised with a single header, although I did use inverted joist hangers and also screwed the roof joists, basically that's all I could get when in the middle of COVID, but whilst some might turn their nose up, I can't see it going anywhere soon.

Soldato
OP
Plastic Hubs delivered either today or yesterday - terrible comms but decent delivery speed. I now have all the soffits and fascia's I need to get the roof final fixed.

I also moved the glass for the bifolds into the garden room - weighs a tonne. I was hoping to fit the frame tomorrow but I don't think I'll be able to one man lift it...

Anyway, I have been told I need to finish the new nursery and overboard the ceiling. Dreading it tbh. I bought a StudBuddy (magnet) and it hasn't found a single joist...excellent..

Soldato
Plastic Hubs delivered either today or yesterday - terrible comms but decent delivery speed. I now have all the soffits and fascia's I need to get the roof final fixed.

I also moved the glass for the bifolds into the garden room - weighs a tonne. I was hoping to fit the frame tomorrow but I don't think I'll be able to one man lift it...

Anyway, I have been told I need to finish the new nursery and overboard the ceiling. Dreading it tbh. I bought a StudBuddy (magnet) and it hasn't found a single joist...excellent..
Just rammy a drill with a long thin drill bit into the ceiling to find a couple screws for an overboard job :D
Doesn't matter if there's holes in a ceiling which will be over boarded

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just rammy a drill with a long thin drill bit into the ceiling to find a couple screws for an overboard job :D
Doesn't matter if there's holes in a ceiling which will be over boarded
Haha yeah I think my brain is getting the better of me vs. the actual effort. Just going to take a claw hammer to where I think centres are tbh.

Back
Top Bottom