1930s Semi Refurb - Part 11 of ... (Summer House)

Soldato
I used the steel rebar'y things. If the kit above is more expensive I'd stick to tried and true. Just make sure you go a foot or two past your structure, don't be tempted to "peg" the corner.

Yeah I use poly glue. I don't know the caberdeck but get what you mean RE: D4. This stuff foams up unlike any other glue I've used though.

On joist hangers I am pretty sure it is the 47x272. Wickes actually do a box of 50 which may work out cheaper.

Ah where did you get the rebar from?.. Joist hangers for mine it says you want 112 hangers which seems like a lot...

Soldato
P.S. Joist hangers are MISERABLE lol. You may want to rent a PPN....seriously. I am a right knuckledragger and can power through most things, but I really hated joist hangers.

A tip, because the hangers are bigger than the wood, is to use an angle grinder to cut the sides (Liam just bashes them down but he using like a 30 oz framing hammer lol). Your hands will thank you and it'll be a lot neater!

Yeah I seen them being bashed down and just thought itd be a bit of a pain when you get the floor in with some minor undulations in it.

Soldato
OP
Ah where did you get the rebar from?.. Joist hangers for mine it says you want 112 hangers which seems like a lot...
2 per joist at 400 centres across 7meters - I think I ordered 98 or so. They soon get eaten up!

The rebar I got from my brother - but toolstation do sell them:

Soldato
Does this price list seem reasonable to you @dlockers

I realise Im only going to PIR the floor so I think i can do half the units OF 100mm PIR

ALKnru5.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont forget to order your nails online as well. They are a pain to find in the real world
Is that the 30mm twist nails? I got these on a toolstation order but 8 packs seems a lot... Are 30mm nails ok for joist hangers etc seems quite short?

Not sure what you're meant to do without a nail gun for the underside frame. I've decided against buying a nail gun as my dog hates the noise :D

Soldato
OP
Is that the 30mm twist nails? I got these on a toolstation order but 8 packs seems a lot... Are 30mm nails ok for joist hangers etc seems quite short?

Not sure what you're meant to do without a nail gun for the underside frame. I've decided against buying a nail gun as my dog hates the noise :D

Ah no I meant the nails for the nail gun. If you are screwing ignore.

Buy double the sheradized nails, they were way under stated in the build pack. You use about a pack for each splice plate pair and a load on the joist hangers.

They are fine for the roof straps

Soldato
Ah no I meant the nails for the nail gun. If you are screwing ignore.

Buy double the sheradized nails, they were way under stated in the build pack. You use about a pack for each splice plate pair and a load on the joist hangers.

They are fine for the roof straps
Does it tell you anywhere what size to screw for the floor plates? Normally I'd expect to have some nails in the floor also as screws have poor shear strength.

Maybe I'm missing it in the build pack instructions...

Soldato
OP
Does it tell you anywhere what size to screw for the floor plates? Normally I'd expect to have some nails in the floor also as screws have poor shear strength.

Maybe I'm missing it in the build pack instructions...
He doesn't use structural screws or anything, I don't think they are under that kind of load? I'd whack a bunch of 100mm's in.

Soldato
OP
Would 100mm not blow thru the 100mm timbers so really 60 is a better bet?

I was gonna part screw and part hand nail it. I'm an engineer by trade so tend to overdesign stuff..
The floor plate will be on the bearers which are 100, and you have 22mm of chipboard to clear, and the 2" part of the 4x2. Definitely 100 IMO, maybe 120 is pushing it.

Soldato
The floor plate will be on the bearers which are 100, and you have 22mm of chipboard to clear, and the 2" part of the 4x2. Definitely 100 IMO, maybe 120 is pushing it.
Oh sorry, I'm talking about the side to side fixings on the base of the frame thru the timber joist hangers which I wasn't sure about, thus a shear load.

For the flooring I was gonna use a load of 60mm flooring screws and some 100s for the main body of the stud walls. They will all be in compression /tension with uplifting which I'm not too concerned about.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Oh sorry, I'm talking about the side to side fixings on the base of the frame thru the timber joist hangers which I wasn't sure about, thus a shear load.

For the flooring I was gonna use a load of 60mm flooring screws and some 100s for the main body of the stud walls. They will all be in compression /tension with uplifting which I'm not too concerned about.
Sorry I am being a tard and still don't know what you mean!

Floor wise I used my favourite Spax screws but any normal 60mm will work.

Got a couple problems on mine....

For the 4x3 my build would needs 8 lengths and materials market said the minimum order is 20 lengths

Was it this foil type tape you said to use under the caberdeck? Then I wouldn't need additional layer of anything?
URN: 3008006

This membrane look OK? But cheaper than toolstation
I just heard they are playing games on the 4x3. Can you get them somewhere else?

Tape wise - yes but I normally but it from TS. I wouldn't bother putting anything else if you tape.

Soldato
I just heard they are playing games on the 4x3. Can you get them somewhere else?

Tape wise - yes but I normally but it from TS. I wouldn't bother putting anything else if you tape.
Ah yeah I could try somewhere else but don't really know any local merchants.

Do you know if that membrane I posted above looks alright? Will mean only 1joint if it's 1.4m and also slightly cheaper than 2 at toolstation (plus I'll have a load of spare...

Back
Top Bottom