1930s Semi Refurb - Part 11 of ... (Summer House)

Soldato
OP
Day 12 -

Just isn't enough hours in the day! Managed to get the doors in - I now know heal and toe, lol. I'm not sure they are perfect but seem OK. I still need to put the gasket on the inside so fingers crossed we don't get some crazy gale force wind.

I also, finally, thank god, glued the roof and got the final roof trimmers on. It looks mighty fine. Just need to patch that final bit of OSB and then get the slate battens on. I think because of the height of the door, decking is a no brainer.

xfmzBif.jpg

for scale, the doors are 3M bi-folds by 2M high.

SU3gWAE.jpg

7hCZfzN.jpg

Soldato
Looks good. Is it a low threshold door? What's the gap to the bottom of the frame? I'm gonna probably put some decking infront of mine also. Bought loads of spare 3x4 due to minimum quantities and a couple extra rods.

Did you order doors before finishing the studwork etc?

Soldato
OP
Looks good. Is it a low threshold door? What's the gap to the bottom of the frame? I'm gonna probably put some decking infront of mine also. Bought loads of spare 3x4 due to minimum quantities and a couple extra rods.

Did you order doors before finishing the studwork etc?
Yeah the door itself is pretty low, I guess it's obvious when you think about it, but it's sitting on the beam and the 22mm chipboard, plus whatever ground you had to clear with the rods. So to "floor" level it's like 8 inches I guess! The internal threshold is like 25mm or maybe? I'll take a pic as I'm working from memory.

Definitely a decking job to avoid a giant step up. Which is good as I was anticipating major ground works to lower the level lol. Seems obvious now that the deck will be door cill height.

Soldato
OP
Also took this pic for you, as I had a few wobbles trying to understand it. If you go rubber4roofs you get the sure edge drip trim, which isn't really discussed in the videos I could find. There is a manual kicking about somewhere and someone gave some vague advice, but this seems to have worked really well -

Basically get soffits and fascias on, trim them down with multi tool
Then attach a slate batten to gutter side
The the r4r kit includes a plastic trim that nails to this
And then the roof flops over it.

It means you can tuck the guttering right under and you'll have no chance of water missing it or splashing over it.

EkXySbm.jpeg

You'll have to zoom in!!

Soldato
OP
Is that an actual allotment in the image or just a neighbour's garden? Also, is that a gate from your garden into it (just behind the water but thing)
Yep - super lucky to back onto allotments (the high snobiety type). The gate is onto the allotments. The plan was my girl would go to the school just through; but annoyingly we preferred the school up the busy road :cry:

pet/peter rabbit could have fun.

you glued the membrane across the full roof surface - spent some time gluing down roofing felt yesterday glue was horribly runny
guess the roof edge is like this ? https://ukflatroofing.com/classicbond-trims/sure-edge-gutter-drip-trim-anthracite-grey
Yeah exactly that- I probably paid over the odds but got it all from Rubber4roofs. It is exactly that, and that diagram is perfect to describe the slate batten approach. Makes a big difference. Guttering will be brilliant.

And yes we play find mr mcgregor all the time on the allotment :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you use D4 glue to the joists when putting your floor down, or for the roof OSB? I've seen videos of 30min glue and bought some but figure it's good to put to joists to stop creaking?

Soldato
OP
Did you use D4 glue to the joists when putting your floor down, or for the roof OSB? I've seen videos of 30min glue and bought some but figure it's good to put to joists to stop creaking?
No point on the floor as you'll have a vapour barrier/silver tape down (you'll be D4ing it to tape). For the roof, I glued the OSB3 to joists.

I'm in deep trouble if those don't work as I am probably ~£200 in -
I use them every instance I take up floorboards. Touch wood, not a single creak...yet...

Soldato
No point on the floor as you'll have a vapour barrier/silver tape down (you'll be D4ing it to tape). For the roof, I glued the OSB3 to joists.

I'm in deep trouble if those don't work as I am probably ~£200 in -
I use them every instance I take up floorboards. Touch wood, not a single creak...yet...
Ah that makes sense. Presume you just used the 30min glue to for the roof to tie it to the rafters?

Yeah I've got a box of those screws they're great

Soldato
OP
Yeah exactly -- I accidently bought 2.4x1.2 OSB3 but still whacked in loads of D4 between joints and the joists. Was walking all over it Saturday and it is solid.

Make sure you crown your roof timbers tho, I forgot, and have been pretty lucky; but if you end up using 2.4x1.2 non-T&G boards, any variance even minor will show through (as you'll be trimming to land on roof joists).

If I had my time again - assuming I got a nice square building to start from, I'd cut them to perfect length*, crown, clamp and bolt to each other (so they're perfectly flat), then toe nail/strap.

*and I'd really think about overhang, as 30cm is OK but doesn't really give you anything other than an aesthetic/place to put lights). I think next time I'd go at least 60 at the front so it's almost like a porch cover.

Back
Top Bottom