Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Abstain

Votes: 80 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Cons and Labour. 2 parties with the same old ideas, same old way of dragging this country down.

Come on guys, we all need a change, a chance to let someone else take the helm. Who else has a chance of doing that? Probably nobody but if we don't all vote for change then we will be left with the same old, same old.

Vot Lib Dems, lets give this country a chance. ( I don't work for the lib dems!! lol)

Oh it would certainly be change if they got in power. Looking at their energy, defence and immigration policies however i find it incredibly hard to see how the change will be good.

Man of Honour
If Jaqui Smith get's voted out, have a look for me getting carted off in a padded van and strait jacket while whooping like a deranged lunatic.

:D I'll be the same if Tessa Jowell gets voted out!

What is the reasoning behind people abstaining from voting? Other than the obvious reasons, such as not being in the country, or being too young! ;) I'm curious - is it just because you don't know? Or don't care?

Libdems for me btw. Though it was a toss up between them and Conservatives - and whilst I feel drawn to both, LDs to me just had the policies which ticked the right boxes for me.

Associate
We won't know until we give them a chance will we? I for one am sick and tired of Labour and Conservative.

It won't be easy for the Lib Dems but i would rather give them a chance to try and put things right than letting 2 parties back in that have a proven record of messing things up time and time again for the hard working people of this country!

Soldato
What is the reasoning behind people abstaining from voting? Other than the obvious reasons, such as not being in the country, or being too young! ;) I'm curious - is it just because you don't know? Or don't care?

the reason i wasn't going to vote is a bit of a mixture between not caring, not knowing what the parties really stand for (i've watched all the debates, read all their manifestos etc etc but they don't get to the point) and finally i didn't want to be part of a system i have no belief in (or at least no belief in the options).

Soldato
the reason i wasn't going to vote is a bit of a mixture between not caring, not knowing what the parties really stand for (i've watched all the debates, read all their manifestos etc etc but they don't get to the point) and finally i didn't want to be part of a system i have no belief in (or at least no belief in the options).

Yeah but you are whether you like it or not so you may aswell have your vote.

Soldato
mollymoo said:
Well first time voters are generally deluded, they believe what they hear instead of cutting through the BS and finding any credibility.

Deluded becuase they dont agree with people older than them? The amount of 50 year olds I have spoken to who beleive everything Cameron said about the Lib Dems without actually reading either manifesto seems to me to point to the fact that most people hear what they want to hear.

mollymoo said:
Plus more often than not they won't vote conservative on the basis of the thatcher years, that they know nothing about.

I'd love to see the facts behind your wild speculation. I was born in 1985, I therefore remember nothing other than labour as most people near my age won't. Since history is written by the victor there is plenty of good to be read about the Thatcher years. if the election had been 18 months ago when Cameron was well ahead in the polls i would have voted for him on the basis that at the time, he looked like the best alternative candidate.

Since Golden Brown bottled it we never had that election and now we do. I'd decided to vote Lib Dem before the debates even aired because i believe that its the right thing to do. I'm sorry its the "wrong" thing, shall i go to my room? its little wonder that the younger generation are disenfranchised with voting when the attitude of the older generations is that we're doing it wrong!

mollymoo said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again the libdems will pap their collective pants if they get into power, they won't know where to start, at least labour and conservative have some recent experience on how to run a country (whether they are good or bad at it) and thats what you need certainly for the next 5 years considering the state we are in. :)

The Tories havn't been in power for 13 years, how many that will form part of this cabinet should they win were in John Majors cabinet? From what I can see, most were elevated to Baron and left politics all together. I'm sure all the experience will be useful.

Apologies for the rant, its nothing personal and obviouisly politics always tends to draw out strong emotion.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Fair comment, however, don't you feel you should at least represent your vote towards the views which best match your ideals? It seems daft not to put some commitment towards the party you'd rather have in power, or at least vote against the parties you do not like?

Caporegime
What is the reasoning behind people abstaining from voting? Other than the obvious reasons, such as not being in the country, or being too young! ;) I'm curious - is it just because you don't know? Or don't care?.

How about because the biggest issue this country faces is the economy and debt and none of the top 3 have gotten close to explaining more than 20% of how this money will be recouped.

They always say you cannot complain if you don't vote.

Well how can you vote if you don't know what the parties are going to do with the biggest issue facing the country. It should be laid out for us to make a choice about. It gets on my bits that none of them will discuss it because it's a vote loser and none of them want to properly discuss immigration because of the votes it might lose.

Anytime there is a poll on what issues concern the voting public in this country the economy comes out top. Therefore the issue that concerns most of us we are all voting for a party with only a 5th of the knowledge of what they are actually going to do post election. Thats a farce tbh.

I will be voting Lib Dem in the hope of a hung parliment, so these schoolboys can see what it's actually like to work together instead of poo pooing each others ideas just because they think they have to. Also I can't vote for one over the other because I don't actually know what they will do. Having a hung parliment will buy me some more time to see WTF they actually would do.

Soldato
Fair comment, however, don't you feel you should at least represent your vote towards the views which best match your ideals? It seems daft not to put some commitment towards the party you'd rather have in power, or at least vote against the parties you do not like?

i did, as i've already mentioned in this thread, vote in the end. The problem is there isn't a single party i agree with on any more than one or two points, and as such it really matters very little to me who gets in as even then i wont be happy with my choice.

i'm hoping for a hung parliament, maybe then it'll teach them to work together but also it will encourage parties to devise a more meaningful, factual manifesto for next year (or whenever the next election would be held).

Last edited:
Soldato
Deluded becuase they dont agree with people older than them? The amount of 50 year olds I have spoken to who beleive everything Cameron said about the Lib Dems without actually reading either manifesto seems to me to point to the fact that most people hear what they want to hear.

Deluded because they believe what they are being told, like I say you eventually learn to cut through the BS.

I'd love to see the facts behind your wild speculation. I was born in 1985, I therefore remember nothing other than labour as most people near my age won't. Since history is written by the victor there is plenty of good to be read about the Thatcher years. if the election had been 18 months ago when Cameron was well ahead in the polls i would have voted for him on the basis that at the time, he looked like the best alternative candidate.

I've read enough on here to see younger voters dismissing the conservatives time and time again based on what they may of heard about the thatcher years.

Since Golden Brown bottled it we never had that election and now we do. I'd decided to vote Lib Dem before the debates even aired because i believe that its the right thing to do. I'm sorry its the "wrong" thing, shall i go to my room? its little wonder that the younger generation are disenfranchised with voting when the attitude of the older generations is that we're doing it wrong!

Experience counts for everything in my book, you will turn round in years to come and rue your passion for change.

The Tories havn't been in power for 13 years, how many that will form part of this cabinet should they win were in John Majors cabinet? From what I can see, most were elevated to Baron and left politics all together. I'm sure all the experience will be useful.

And there you go, do you honestly believe that the people you see on tv debating their policies are the people that actually run this country, it really doesn't matter who you have on the front line, they are still backed by experienced people in the background.

I doubt very much that the Libdems will have the experience necessary to run the country for the next 5 years, but this is why we are given a chance to vote, you can't expect us all to agree.

Associate
We won't know until we give them a chance will we? I for one am sick and tired of Labour and Conservative.

It won't be easy for the Lib Dems but i would rather give them a chance to try and put things right than letting 2 parties back in that have a proven record of messing things up time and time again for the hard working people of this country!

I don't see it so black and white. People claim labour and tories have messed things up repeatedly, personally i don't think they have. I feel the cycle between the two parties has worked well enough, yeah sure some points in history weren't ideal and people will always look back on things and pick at points that suit their view point. So naturally i do not allow history past say the last couple of years to affect my judgement. People and parties can change so to base my vote on history i feel is incredibly stupid.

I strongly disagree with numerous lib dem policies so i simply could not vote for them. The current governement we have has been a shambles Gordon Brown is not strong enough. Strangely i like some of their policies but i feel i cannot trust the current set of MPs labour have, i feel they need to rebuild. This leaves the tories who i agree with the majority of their policies. There are points i do disagree with and i don't see Cameron as that strong a leader but i feel the tories are the best of bad bunch.

Associate
Voted for a voice for Wales despite the fact i would rather have voted Liberal Democrats or Labour over the Conservatives as they don't give a monkeys about Wales.

But with a pretty high % of voters being Plaid down my way it made sense to solidify the vote as Lib Dem are 4th in my area. Plus it gives Wales a bigger voice on the British Stage. If i was in an area with a better chance of a Lib Dem Victory i would have voted them in.

Back
Top Bottom