2019 NFL Season Thread

Soldato
Not sure what you mean about O'Brien but they backed him over the last GM in a power struggle so they clearly believe in his vision (no Clowney, must have a LT) and we can all see it's highly risky.

I've not seen anything with O'Brien that makes me believe he would do a good job given all the power they gave him, as you say they must have belief in the ideas he had , but no idea what they based that trust on.

Soldato
OP
I've not seen anything with O'Brien that makes me believe he would do a good job given all the power they gave him, as you say they must have belief in the ideas he had , but no idea what they based that trust on.

Ah ok, yeah I agree, no idea what was going through their heads.

Shame Jonathan Abraham the rookie raiders safety is out for the season, he looked really impressive in his debut.

Associate
I only saw a few highlights, so hard to comment (aside I'm sure most of his TD passes there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of the receiver!) but funnily enough, before I even read this I was going to post I try and judge a QB on his play, not the results and I'm sure many would disagree. That's why I would say Montana was over rated (he had an amazing surrounding cast and Young possibly replaced him and did even better, for example). Again, I didn't see much of Sunday, so I'm not commenting on that. And also, I'm not saying Dak is bad, just that he has a great supporting cast so might appear better and will definitely get good results with the team.

Having said that, I didn't rate Jackson. His mechanics are terrible... then he tears it up on Sunday (mind you, it was the Dolphins!)

I would take exception to the comment that Dak has an amazing surrounding cast. This year he does, but if you recall last year they had to give up a 1st round draft pick mid way through the season to get a receiver that could run a route. And after that trade Dak finished the season 7-1 after a 3-5 start.

To be clear I'm not suggesting that Dak is an elite QB. But I'll stand by my earlier comment that he is a really good one.

And yes, Jackson's performance Sunday was a total surprise, even if it was Miami! :D

Soldato
OP
Hope Cam looking the way he is right now is just temporary, really looked a shadow of himself first 2 weeks.

Saying that it's good for me in fantasy where I got Olsen late and a TE is about as far as Cam can throw. Olsen getting me great points for a late pick up. :D

Associate
Hope Cam looking the way he is right now is just temporary, really looked a shadow of himself first 2 weeks.

Don't hold your breath. There's a lot of talk this side of the pond about his health. No one knows for sure what the problem is but everyone seems sure there is a real problem. He's taken a lot of physical abuse in his 4 (I think) years in the NFL. I'm afraid he'll become the poster child for not allowing your QB to run on a regular basis.

Soldato
Don't hold your breath. There's a lot of talk this side of the pond about his health. No one knows for sure what the problem is but everyone seems sure there is a real problem. He's taken a lot of physical abuse in his 4 (I think) years in the NFL. I'm afraid he'll become the poster child for not allowing your QB to run on a regular basis.

think his issues have come about, not cos he runs, but the hits he takes instead of sliding/going to ground, with cam it might also be due to his size, russell wilson knows hes likely to get crushed whereas cam thinks he can take a hit.

this also links in to a lot of college qb's getting into their mind they can run, while it looks good/works in the college game they get to the nfl its another level entirely, and it comes down to how quickly they adapt, for me there's also a responsibility to the coaches to work on it with them for their protection.

Associate
think his issues have come about, not cos he runs, but the hits he takes instead of sliding/going to ground, with cam it might also be due to his size, russell wilson knows hes likely to get crushed whereas cam thinks he can take a hit.

I agree, but 'running' has a direct correlation to 'getting hit'. But that said Cam does think he's bullet proof due to his size.

this also links in to a lot of college qb's getting into their mind they can run, while it looks good/works in the college game they get to the nfl its another level entirely, and it comes down to how quickly they adapt, for me there's also a responsibility to the coaches to work on it with them for their protection.

Again, I agree in principle. I think it's important to remember that the NFL is, at the end of the day, a business. Owners and GM's tell the coach what to do in some circumstances in the interest of selling tickets and getting eyeballs on the TV. That or they're just stupid. Don't know which is the case regarding Cam but I'm pretty sure it's one or the other.

Soldato
OP

I agree it's probably permanent, it's just a shame, always enjoyed watching Cam.

Back
Top Bottom