2019 NFL Season Thread

Soldato
OP
Clean pocket? Behave, did you watch the game. He spent almost the entire match running for his life, his evasiveness was the only reason he wasn't getting killed every other play.

The Niners front 4 were awesome, they made a good chiefs line look like the browns line.

If the Niners secondary had held up like the front they would have held on, the busted coverage for the Hill 44 yard pass (admittedly a brilliant pass) was a shocking lapse and proved the turning point.

Not saying the Shanahan calls and the Niners O get a let off as they were terrible down the stretch but Mahomes changes this against some great pressure.

Caporegime
Clean pocket? Behave, did you watch the game. He spent almost the entire match running for his life, his evasiveness was the only reason he wasn't getting killed every other play.

The Niners front 4 were awesome, they made a good chiefs line look like the browns line.

If the Niners secondary had held up like the front they would have held on, the busted coverage for the Hill 44 yard pass (admittedly a brilliant pass) was a shocking lapse and proved the turning point.

Not saying the Shanahan calls and the Niners O get a let off as they were terrible down the stretch but Mahomes changes this against some great pressure.

No he didn't, he had to move but it wasn't collapsing from both edges.

It wasn't a huge busted coverage, Hill is insanely fast and can turn so quick, zone coverage passed off to Ward at safety from what I recall who had little chance to make a play, it was a good play call and ran route. (There was also holding prevent Bosa from getting a sack on it)

Saying it was down to Mahomes only is a huge disservice to the other players who showed up, mainly Hill on that 3rd and 15.

Soldato
You seem to be a pretty big Mahomes fan @No1newts :) I would agree with @Purdy he generally had good protection, I was commenting I think they only got two sacks all game? The 3rd best sack D in the league... only got him twice... (I think?)

As for the long pass on 3rd and 15. It looked like they might have been in a cover 2, which seems an odd call on a 3rd and 15 to me, but yes, in that D Hill's speed killed the deep coverage. Again, brilliant pass? I'm sorry, you have quite a bit of bias. I literally brought it up to watch again. Hill had to stop and actually turned back to face Mahomes as the ball came in. It wasn't a bad pass, it was ballsy on a 3rd and 15, but Hill got himself so wide open it was actually quite a simple pass in the end (as simple as a 44 yard competition can be :) ) Again, I think Mahomes played well, but wasn't the main reason/key. The one int, I think in the second half, was pretty bad, he just didn't see the LB and threw it right to him for example.

Caporegime
You seem to be a pretty big Mahomes fan @No1newts :) I would agree with @Purdy he generally had good protection, I was commenting I think they only got two sacks all game? The 3rd best sack D in the league... only got him twice... (I think?)

As for the long pass on 3rd and 15. It looked like they might have been in a cover 2, which seems an odd call on a 3rd and 15 to me, but yes, in that D Hill's speed killed the deep coverage. Again, brilliant pass? I'm sorry, you have quite a bit of bias. I literally brought it up to watch again. Hill had to stop and actually turned back to face Mahomes as the ball came in. It wasn't a bad pass, it was ballsy on a 3rd and 15, but Hill got himself so wide open it was actually quite a simple pass in the end (as simple as a 44 yard competition can be :) ) Again, I think Mahomes played well, but wasn't the main reason/key. The one int, I think in the second half, was pretty bad, he just didn't see the LB and threw it right to him for example.

Glad I'm not going insane :) (Did you see Bosa being held :D?)

Also I think the first int was slightly a good play, I think he felt he had looked Warner off as he was moving right, as soon as Mahomes stepped into it Warner stopped and came back on the pass slightly. Not an awful throw I don't think.

Soldato
OP
@AndyCr15 I am a big fan admittedly, the only reason he got two sacks was his movement. Watch some of the Chiefs O plays again and think it it was a static QB, heck even a Garrapolo with limited movement, he would have been hit easily 5+ times. This isn't hyperbolic, there are so many times he is sprinting away for a sack and getting a pass off (completion or no)

My point about the pass wasn't so much the pass (he did well to get it up there) more that the Niners D busted their coverages, Hill shouldn't have been able to get there if he was covered as he should have been.

I don't think he had his best game, but in the moment he came up big which he always seems to do, hence the comment of him being key.

Soldato
Yeah, he definitely pulled it together in the late 4th quarter. I still believe it was bad calls from the 49ers that was the biggest factor. I don't think it was a busted coverage for example, I think it was a bad call (as I explained above) along with a few other bad calls let the Chiefs back in and gave Mahomes the opportunity to then do some of what he did. It all contributes of course.

Soldato
OP
I don't disagree the Niners lost it (rather than the chiefs won it, if that makes sense) that is the main factor, the gist of my point is there isn't a QB could have taken the slim opportunity that the Niners presented (I think they said the Chiefs win probability before the Hill completion was 3.4%)

Soldato
No harm in that :)

I am in agreement with you actually. Mahomes constantly had to evade tackles, do runs or retreat 20 yards to get a throw in.

But, the difference at the end of the game was pretty simple, Mahomes hit that long pass, if he hadn't hit that, the game was over. Garoppolo had his chance in their last run. The Chiefs lost coverage of the wide receiver but Garoppolo overthrew the pass. If he had hit that pass the momentum would have swung back to 49ers and they would have won the game.

Both teams made some bad calls on both defence and offence. But the game was decided on two passes, one which hit and one which missed.

Soldato
And the one that hit, could have been made by 80% of the QB's in the league would be my point... it was more in credit to Hill, who got so open due to the threat of his speed, but I thought we'd moved on, lets not argue :p

Soldato
And the one that hit, could have been made by 80% of the QB's in the league would be my point... it was more in credit to Hill, who got so open due to the threat of his speed, but I thought we'd moved on, lets not argue :p

Would they? in their first Superbowl? He had been sacked 4 times, had two passes intercepted and had fumbled the ball twice. It was third down with 15 yards to go and only 7.18 left on the clock in the 4th quarter? You are trivializing the pressure on that pass. And no, I don't think 80% of the QB's in the league could make it.

There is nothing to argue about, that's the pass that changed the game. Whether he deserved MVP or not, that's a different argument.

Soldato
Who says it wasn't the pass that changed the game? That's why my screen shot is from that exact moment, because it's when the game changed.

Yes, it was a pressure pass, but an easy one with plenty of room for error. As I said, it wasn't actually a great throw, but it didn't need to be.

Soldato
OP
Still playing with my American football team but racking up the injuries.

Got to get physio on my shoulder, got my fingers strapped after spraining them, strained groin, gashed open nose and plenty of other niggles off getting whacked and exercising a lot of muscles I haven't in years.

Still, enjoying every minute of it, ended up migrating to tight end and occasional receiver, love scrapping on the line!

Soldato
Ha ha, cool. I played a little Tight End with the Farnham Knights. It was okay, but of all the positions I've played, I probably liked it the least if I'm honest.

I went down to the Herts Cheetahs on Sunday a week back, having not played with them (or anyone) for 9 or 10 years... I was rather annoyed, as back in my day we'd spend a good 20 minutes or more warming up. Last week, next to no warm up and I strained my quad almost straight away, so spent the practise at half speed. Had the physio girls give it a massage and it felt fine a couple of days later. I'll do my own warm up next time.

Spent the session at receiver, but I think the HC is keen for me to play some DB. We'll see I guess. At this point I don't know how good I can still be. Will I still have enough speed etc as having had to spend the session at half speed, I don't know at this point! Then it's a matter of if the knee and back hold out.

Found out my mum has all my old kit in her loft, so she's posting it all down tomorrow and I'll head to practise again on Sunday as I'm not working.

Maybe we need a separate Britball thread, although it might only be me and you in it @No1newts!?

Soldato
OP
Ha ha, cool. I played a little Tight End with the Farnham Knights. It was okay, but of all the positions I've played, I probably liked it the least if I'm honest.

I went down to the Herts Cheetahs on Sunday a week back, having not played with them (or anyone) for 9 or 10 years... I was rather annoyed, as back in my day we'd spend a good 20 minutes or more warming up. Last week, next to no warm up and I strained my quad almost straight away, so spent the practise at half speed. Had the physio girls give it a massage and it felt fine a couple of days later. I'll do my own warm up next time.

Spent the session at receiver, but I think the HC is keen for me to play some DB. We'll see I guess. At this point I don't know how good I can still be. Will I still have enough speed etc as having had to spend the session at half speed, I don't know at this point! Then it's a matter of if the knee and back hold out.

Found out my mum has all my old kit in her loft, so she's posting it all down tomorrow and I'll head to practise again on Sunday as I'm not working.

Maybe we need a separate Britball thread, although it might only be me and you in it @No1newts!?

Yeah buddy, cool with that.

I didn't think I would like TE but I've found I love smashing stuffing out each other on the line, I'm finding it immeasurably fun (and at times painful) blocking guys 4 stone or more heavier than me haha.

I prefer the short routes as well, I can play WR but enjoy being in the thick of it and being honest my catching of the ball on long range passing needs work so it all comes together pretty well.

Not wanting to put on weight so doing work on my core and upper body strength and most our plays if I'm blocking it will be a linebacker or blitzing DB and they are more my build.

I haven't go the injury history like you but I'm unpicking 15 years of being a lazy git so the fitness is coming a lot slower than I would want, it's the constant explosiveness of every play is a lot tougher than I remember 15 years ago! :p

Back
Top Bottom