• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Associate
Hmm .. received my Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti X2 OC last week. Stock with no manual OC or anything daft.

Works fine until I stress it. Default fan profile gets it up to 84c ... manually setting fans to max (too bleeding noisy), drops to 64c or so. But .. keeps crashing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EvQ4Y4HUDHrpYi876
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DjxdVqr2KX7pLWe37

Usually crashes whole PC but when it does not, these are the recorded temps

Brand new build - never had any other card or Windows on until now.

This was the build ... RMA time?

Intel Core i9 9900K, Aorus Z390 Master, Aorus 16GB RGB RAM **FREE 512GB SSD**
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
be quiet! Silent Base 601 Midi-Tower Case - Orange Window
Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti X2 OC 11264MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Water Cooling Unit - 280mm
WD Black 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe Solid State Drive (WDS100T2X0C)
Seagate 2TB FireCuda 2.5" 5400RPM SSHD Internal Hard Drive PC and PS4 (ST2000LX001)

Soldato
Hmm .. received my Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti X2 OC last week. Stock with no manual OC or anything daft.

Works fine until I stress it. Default fan profile gets it up to 84c ... manually setting fans to max (too bleeding noisy), drops to 64c or so. But .. keeps crashing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EvQ4Y4HUDHrpYi876

Usually crashes whole PC but when it does not, these are the recorded temps

Brand new build - never had any other card or Windows on until now.

This was the build ... RMA time?

Intel Core i9 9900K, Aorus Z390 Master, Aorus 16GB RGB RAM **FREE 512GB SSD**
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
be quiet! Silent Base 601 Midi-Tower Case - Orange Window
Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti X2 OC 11264MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Water Cooling Unit - 280mm
WD Black 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe Solid State Drive (WDS100T2X0C)
Seagate 2TB FireCuda 2.5" 5400RPM SSHD Internal Hard Drive PC and PS4 (ST2000LX001)

I find you need decent cooler on your 2080 ti to get the best out of it. Was surprised my gigabyte gaming oc with 3 fans and 2 and a half slot needed 80% fan speed.

Associate
I find you need decent cooler on your 2080 ti to get the best out of it. Was surprised my gigabyte gaming oc with 3 fans and 2 and a half slot needed 80% fan speed.

Be happy for it to just stay alive for more than 10 mins :)

Sounds like some thermal issues here. These cards, for normal gaming, should be plug and play. I'm not a novice builder but if I need custom cooling rig then the card design is messed. Ho hum :)

Associate
der8auer says his RMA rate of the 2080ti is 1.4% (he works for Caseking):

Nice to hear there is a low RMA rate on those, but as he stated they don't use the FE cards which seems to be the ones with the most issues. But as he said again some of those AIB's use the reference PCB design but the return rate is still low.

Would love to know the exact cause of failure of these cards, because it seems most FE cards that are failing work ok for a few days/weeks then eventually die.

Soldato
Be happy for it to just stay alive for more than 10 mins :)

Sounds like some thermal issues here. These cards, for normal gaming, should be plug and play. I'm not a novice builder but if I need custom cooling rig then the card design is messed. Ho hum :)

Haha true! It is going back though for coil whine, which I guess is a small problem compared with what some people have!

Fwiw I couldn't stand noise of the fans either so going with the EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 1080 ti as my stop gap until 3080 ti now. The rest of my build is silent, it really just stands out.

Associate
Played some more, not happened again, it was as I was exiting a level so it could be a CoD issue but I'm suspicious. I'm on default settings at the moment because no need to overclock really so slightly worrying if the card is crapping out on default settings in a cool case.

Soldato
I was surprised on his 1080 and 1080ti RMA rates, to me 5% is high thats 1 in 20 cards, but caseking consider those reasonable. What he didnt say is if they are confirmed fail cards or they just returns but not necessarily confirmed faulty.

Soldato
Played some more, not happened again, it was as I was exiting a level so it could be a CoD issue but I'm suspicious. I'm on default settings at the moment because no need to overclock really so slightly worrying if the card is crapping out on default settings in a cool case.

Just run something like the Valley benchmark for a while, that should indicate if there's any problems.

Associate
Just run something like the Valley benchmark for a while, that should indicate if there's any problems.
My defunct FE didn't initially crash or artifact on benchmarks, only games. I don't think the benchmarks utilize nearly as much VRAM as something like BF1. Once it starts to go though, it'll crash or artifact on everything, including the desktop.

Just play some usually stable AAA titles - if there are problems, you'll start to notice soon enough.

Received my second 2080Ti today finally. Hope it's not a duffer.

Soldato
Haha true! It is going back though for coil whine, which I guess is a small problem compared with what some people have!

Fwiw I couldn't stand noise of the fans either so going with the EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 1080 ti as my stop gap until 3080 ti now. The rest of my build is silent, it really just stands out.

My FE is the same. Probably the loudest thing in the system is the whine/buzz. But it isn’t heard over my rad fans and speakers.

Same with every 1080Ti I’ve had which is probably 10+ I’ve tested. All different brands and boards. Some are worse than others but never eliminated. Just a norm really for such a power hungry card.

I don’t think it’s so much the coils. I think it’s more the mosfets buzzing away. Minimal at 60hz but at 165hz it’s quite audible next to the case.

Soldato
My FE is the same. Probably the loudest thing in the system is the whine/buzz. But it isn’t heard over my rad fans and speakers.

Same with every 1080Ti I’ve had which is probably 10+ I’ve tested. All different brands and boards. Some are worse than others but never eliminated. Just a norm really for such a power hungry card.

I don’t think it’s so much the coils. I think it’s more the mosfets buzzing away. Minimal at 60hz but at 165hz it’s quite audible next to the case.

I've got my rad fans in both push and pull and they only run @ 25% speed unless temps go over 75 degrees (only ever happens on an AVX benchmark workloads). Runs whisper quiet at a decent OC 4.7GHz on my i7-7820x. Noises like that are generally noticeable as a result. You may be right, though.

Back
Top Bottom