*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Disk or streamed ?

Sorry - this discussion will converge on the real or fake 4K projector discussion; for those with room/money/desire for a >=65" oled, I would have thought the difference between a
streamed 15Mb/s 4K from Apple/Sky/Amazon/Netflix versus the disk must be evident, although, if it not a classic that you will re-watch, streamed represents a reasonable cost trade-off.

What is going to drive the 4k disc price down ? I cannot believe manufacturing cost is much more than a blu-ray, and if the discs were cheaper they might sell more players - a virtuous circle.

Soldato
Streamed from the Apple 4K TV.

I haven’t seen any 4K Blu-ray films played through my Blu-ray player that look better than when I play them through the Apple 4K TV.

The PQ difference is minuscule and unless you like paying £20 per 4K Blu-ray I see no reason why more people wouldn’t want to stream.

I know the benefit of a physical disk is that they can be sold/bought when you’ve watched them but I think the saving is worth it alone to own it forever.

Soldato
OP
What is going to drive the 4k disc price down ? I cannot believe manufacturing cost is much more than a blu-ray, and if the discs were cheaper they might sell more players - a virtuous circle.

The cost difference with 4k is the fact they include a standard blu ray. Yes they are cheap in the 2nd hand market but on initial release this is an unfortunate excess.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Streamed from the Apple 4K TV.

I haven’t seen any 4K Blu-ray films played through my Blu-ray player that look better than when I play them through the Apple 4K TV.

The PQ difference is minuscule and unless you like paying £20 per 4K Blu-ray I see no reason why more people wouldn’t want to stream.

I know the benefit of a physical disk is that they can be sold/bought when you’ve watched them but I think the saving is worth it alone to own it forever.
Your comment prompted me to do some googling and I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbKCZpQN72c A fairly exhaustive comparison of UHD discs and Apple 4K shows the differences at a normal viewing distance are subtle even on a 65" screen.

I've just bought into 4K (55" OLED) and have a single UHD disc so far (Blade Runner, which looks great but cost £20 compared to £8 on the iTunes store for the 4K version that probably looks just about as good). Factoring in the cost as well as the convenience of a streaming box compared to firing up a player and loading a disc, I'm very tempted to return my new 4K player and go digital instead.

Soldato
He clearly states in the video a few times he can clearly tell the deference between the two at his normal sitting distance but there’s not much between them.

Fair play to Apple for just how good their streaming service is.

Soldato
Getting close to ordering an Apple 4K myself, how much are you finding yourself spending on films a month though @Clov!s

I’d say I’m spending about $15 a week, I’m trying to build up a good collection of the older films I like plus the new releases. Some of my collection are free films, if you redeem a certain way you get 2 free films thrown in etc.

I buy my codes digitally and I’m only paying $2-3 a film and an extra dollar if the film is newer. Kingsman cost me $3, I bought Detroit last night for $4.

There’s also an option to get 3 for 2 etc from certain sellers. :)

I have 104 films now and if I add it all up, it’s around £100.

Soldato
Can you play UV films on apple TV then? Can't recall seeing anything to do with apple in a 4k box.

Most UV/VUDU films are transferable across all platforms with Movies Anywhere, so if you redeem a UV film and it is MA, you get it in itunes. You can play UV films on the Apple 4K TV but you need to alter the DNS settings.

Soldato
Your comment prompted me to do some googling and I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbKCZpQN72c A fairly exhaustive comparison of UHD discs and Apple 4K shows the differences at a normal viewing distance are subtle even on a 65" screen.

I've just bought into 4K (55" OLED) and have a single UHD disc so far (Blade Runner, which looks great but cost £20 compared to £8 on the iTunes store for the 4K version that probably looks just about as good). Factoring in the cost as well as the convenience of a streaming box compared to firing up a player and loading a disc, I'm very tempted to return my new 4K player and go digital instead.

If you have a OLED TV you have no choice but to buy a apple 4K box. Here is the list of real DV films http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
the rest are just converted.
I did look at the apple box for HDR10 but is wasn't very good compared to a real disc.

Soldato
Most UV/VUDU films are transferable across all platforms with Movies Anywhere, so if you redeem a UV film and it is MA, you get it in itunes. You can play UV films on the Apple 4K TV
Thanks I had not heard of them, seems as though you can sign up with a USA IP address and then use in the UK.
Unclear if you can port an upgraded (cheaper) 4K itunes movies to other services eg. VUDU 4k?
if so a much cheaper Roku 4K box could then be used (unless you have an oled and need dv)

Soldato
Thanks I had not heard of them, seems as though you can sign up with a USA IP address and then use in the UK.
Unclear if you can port an upgraded (cheaper) 4K itunes movies to other services eg. VUDU 4k?
if so a much cheaper Roku 4K box could then be used (unless you have an oled and need dv)

If you want 4K in VUDU, it must be a 4K code you are redeeming. If you redeem a HD code then you get HDX through VUDU.

Soldato
If you want 4K in VUDU, it must be a 4K code you are redeeming. If you redeem a HD code then you get HDX through VUDU.
...so can a genuine 4K code be ported with MA between Itunes and VUDU ? (ie movie becomes available on roku if you don't have an apple tv)

other -
UK members: Wildlife fans can watch Blue Planet II in the best quality ever shown on the BBC iPlayer from December 10th.
scanning it - references to 22Mb/s streaming !, but do you need a 4K comaptible Kaby PC, or a panasonic (HLG) tv, like earlier trial ?

Soldato
Soldato
What would you be using to play films on the roku?
the vudu app
The issue is format support. The Streaming Stick Plus supports the HDR10 standard but not Dolby Vision, and the biggest source of HDR movies right now is Vudu, which only supports Dolby Vision. So while I own Wonder Woman in 4K HDR on Vudu, it plays back on the Roku in 4K only — no HDR. Vudu has been promising to support HDR10 for a while now, but until it does, I wouldn’t expect to watch anything other than Netflix and Amazon shows in HDR on the Roku.

from reddit seems as though vudu now do HDR10 streams
( HDR10 vs DV, still a bit of a format war, if you have a tv doing dynamic analsysis of frames, plus good EOTF, I.m not convinced dv is necesary)

...migthyten does have a thread on hdr suppoort for amazon on roku though

Soldato
As long as the device you are using supports 4K, VUDU will play in 4K if you have the 4K copy.

Only a 4K code redeemed through VUDU gives you 4K when you play back.

Back
Top Bottom