• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer

Soldato
Yes cheap CPU cooler and the video was 5000Mhz all core.Now even you can do the same thing,add CPU voltage and try if you want. Not recommended for less than crazy people.I am uploading a video with ALL core 5000Mhz with HWinfo64 on,only good for PC gaming and not P95
Ok, so as I understand it gaming may show all core at 5000Mhz but not actually full load them like say prime or r20 does.
I did try 4.75Ghz manual all core but r20 made it way too toasty.
Gaming must not hit it with a full heavy load ;):eek:

Associate
Signed up because this is a quality thread with great info.

I've been tweaking my 5800x for about a week now. PBO even with Curve Optimizer at -10 (30-50mv) will still run 1.38-1.45v in games over a sustained session to hit 4.85GHz on one or two threads. This is with stock power limits and LLC on the lowest setting. All core stress tests were in the 4.4-4.5GHz range ~1.325v.

I settled on a manual overclock of 4.6GHz at 1.26v and it's 100% stable. I lost 250mhz of boost but I dropped temps by 10-20C and power use by at least 10-20W. The stock voltages were even worse without the PBO2 undervolt. Kinda scares me coming from Intel. Maybe this is the new normal but I don't see why I should pick stock PB or PBO2 over the manual OC.

Associate
OP

I've been tweaking my 5800x for about a week now. PBO even with Curve Optimizer at -10 (30-50mv) will still run 1.38-1.45v in games over a sustained session to hit 4.85GHz on one or two threads. This is with stock power limits and LLC on the lowest setting. All core stress tests were in the 4.4-4.5GHz range ~1.325v.

I settled on a manual overclock of 4.6GHz at 1.26v and it's 100% stable. I lost 250mhz of boost but I dropped temps by 10-20C and power use by at least 10-20W. The stock voltages were even worse without the PBO2 undervolt. Kinda scares me coming from Intel. Maybe this is the new normal but I don't see why I should pick stock PB or PBO2 over the manual OC.

5800X hits 4850Mhz with AMD Curve Optimizer off and PBO Off. IT is fine to run an all core overclock with lower temperatures ,your not missing anything in performance.

Ok, so as I understand it gaming may show all core at 5000Mhz but not actually full load them like say prime or r20 does.
I did try 4.75Ghz manual all core but r20 made it way too toasty.
Gaming must not hit it with a full heavy load ;):eek:
You need proper cooling even on Intel CPU's ,I would not even run Prime95 on my Intel computers. Now I not trying to be a dick.

Soldato

This seems like a sensible option.
What I don’t understand is why a manual all core OC to 4.6Ghz cannot be used in conjunction with PBO to boost one or more cores to a higher OC of your choosing with the voltage of your choosing.
I would select 4.7Ghz all core with 4.85 on the two best cores with lower voltage than 1.5V which PBO chooses by default (if left on auto)

Associate
5800X hits 4850Mhz with AMD Curve Optimizer off and PBO Off. IT is fine to run an all core overclock with lower temperatures ,your not missing anything in performance.
Yes but at even higher voltage vs Curve Optimizer at -10.

This seems like a sensible option.
What I don’t understand is why a manual all core OC to 4.6Ghz cannot be used in conjunction with PBO to boost one or more cores to a higher OC of your choosing with the voltage of your choosing.
I would select 4.7Ghz all core with 4.85 on the two best cores with lower voltage than 1.5V which PBO chooses by default (if left on auto)
This is kinda what the Dark Hero supposedly allows. Manual OC as the floor and PBO as the ceiling.

Caporegime
I tried these settings.

First as above with first 4 cores on -5 and next 4 cores on -10
Tested and ran a few benchmarks, all seems good. R20, R23, Realbench, CPUZ, memtest, DRAM calc tests
Then set first 4 cores on -10 and next 4 cores on -20
Tested and ran a few benchmarks, all seems good. R20, R23, Realbench, CPUZ, memtest, DRAM calc tests

Had an hour or so on Warzone, perfect all stable.
Then decided to give R20 a run. Crashed as soon as I started the bench.

This seems quite random to me - That it can pass rounds of benchmarking and gaming then bomb out on the same test 3 hours later.

The same happened with 200Mhz and some different settings, all seemed well and good then a random reboot in CPUZ. Could it be something like a spike or not enough voltage at the correct time?

Back to auto PBO again for now.
Try it again with Auto OC at 75 MHz.

Caporegime
Does anyone has a good starting point for bios settings on asus x570 and 5950x?
Try this Grim for a quick plug and play.

Navigate to Advanced > Overclocking

PBO Enabled
PBO limits set to Motherboard
Scalar x10
Auto OC set to 100Mhz
Enable Curve Optimizer
First 8 cores, negative offset, try -5 at first, then later try -10 if stable
Second 8 cores, negative offset, try -10 at first then later try -20 if stable

Soldato
Asus says it's dynamic overclock is a hardware physical feature on the board and can't be enabled on older boards, could just be bs though

well that feature is being worked on by someone not sure who i just know it is being worked on as a software version not bios/hardware like asus dark hero so even if its a hardware only feature of that dark hero we will not be left in the dark we will have our software version that operates exactly like the hardware variant.. ;)

Associate
So I've got a 5900x but feel I lost the silicon lottery, but then I see many in the same boat as me. Even with a 360aio with PBO turned on my temps hover around 80c, which is something I never got close to on my 3900xt and 2700x prior.
When I go into bios my cpu temp reads at 50, but sat idle on desktop RM reports idle sitting around 33-36c.

Also on my board, sometimes when I set PBO settings in the second section, as there is 2 pbo areas on my bios, it get's ignored, sometimes it doesn't, the main one on the ai tweaker page seems to get authority but obviously this one doesn't have the curve optimiser setting.
Out of interest can someone post their RM screenshot as interested to see what PPT, TDC and EDC settings are

Caporegime
So I've got a 5900x but feel I lost the silicon lottery, but then I see many in the same boat as me. Even with a 360aio with PBO turned on my temps hover around 80c, which is something I never got close to on my 3900xt and 2700x prior.
When I go into bios my cpu temp reads at 50, but sat idle on desktop RM reports idle sitting around 33-36c.

Also on my board, sometimes when I set PBO settings in the second section, as there is 2 pbo areas on my bios, it get's ignored, sometimes it doesn't, the main one on the ai tweaker page seems to get authority but obviously this one doesn't have the curve optimiser setting.
Out of interest can someone post their RM screenshot as interested to see what PPT, TDC and EDC settings are
I see the same on my 5950x. It's perfectly normal.

Ryzen 5000 series processors can use the full thermal envelope, right up to 90c (for the 5950x) and 95c (for all the other models) to extract the highest possible boost frequencies for extra performance.

On the 3000 series, boost would start levelling off after 65c.

This is with PBO Limits set to Motherboard.
KWt0jbG.png
Using an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero.

Associate
Thanks Matt, that's great. I'm trying to set my limits to mobo too, it worked the other day, but now that section of pBO is being ignored and not applying. I have no idea why.

I have set 260 ppt, 230, 230 on the other 2 in the second section of PBO and it just gets completely ignored, aswell as the MHZ increcement too, if I set it to 200mhz even this still gets ignored and gets left at 4900mhz max boost in Ryzen Master, so makes me wonder if the curve optimiser in the 2nd PBO section is being used at all, as the curve optimiser is not in the 1st pbo, only the 2nd.

Last edited:
Soldato

Sorry to quote this again but i’ve tried this too.
Running PBO disabled, all core 4.65Ghz, 1.275V.
Higher all core R20 scores (6200 multi) single core drops to 600 from 640ish. R23 16,000 multi, 1500 single
Max temps are down 10-15C.
Idle temps are down a few C too. Idle 28C

It would be nice to combine this with PBO / single core boost but as someone said if thats coming in a later BIOS, then great.
PBO seems broken to me at the moment in that it pumps way to much voltage for all core boost.
The extra voltage maybe needed for single core boost but want to set this myself (on two good cores)

Last edited:
Soldato
PBO puts way to much voltage through for me. 1.5v by default for stock + PBO
I've set 1.25v for all core 4.5ghz & temps when web browsing are around 32c & gaming temps are around 50-60c

I'll wait until a more mature bios is released before trying for more, at the moment permformance is good & more importantly stable.

Soldato
Yeh, PBO is gonads.
My max temp in AIDA64 stability test on CPU, FPU & Cache is now 74c instead if it showing stability errors when using PBO auto. 4.65Ghz all core. 1.275V
Maybe just an issue with some motherboard / bios combinations

Back
Top Bottom