• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x3D upgrade

If you reset all BIOS settings to default temporarily does that make any difference? Are you monitoring CPU temperatures and clockspeeds? If you run a Cinebench CPU multicore test we can see whether it's performing correctly.
CPU temp is a little high due to the fact I'm still using the original AMD Prism cooler which came with my old 3700x. Have ran Cinebench and performed correctly All BIOS settings appear to be correct and defaulted. I'm starting to think maybe FS2020 is corrupted so maybe have to reinstall:eek:

Last edited:
Right, did a bit of testing before I come to a conclusion regarding FS2020. Been playing various discovery flights with no problems whatsoever. But when I want to fly via world map, this is where the problems lies. Am confused

CPU temp is a little high due to the fact I'm still using the original AMD Prism cooler which came with my old 3700x. Have ran Cinebench and performed correctly All BIOS settings appear to be correct and defaulted. I'm starting to think maybe FS2020 is corrupted so maybe have to reinstall:eek:

I don't think that cooler is up to the task of cooling this CPU.

You may benefit from getting a better cooler such as the peerless assassin as others have mentioned.

(My money goes on a NHD15 but that's extortionate as well as humongous)

Last edited:
Have looked at the NHD15 but price is extortionate despite has very high reviews. Hence why I opted to an Thermalright brand due to Phatboy's recommendation. Have already invested heavily into my PC ( my budget allows ) with the 5800x3D and 32GB of KLEVV CRAS X RGB ram

Last edited:
As a computer used simply for gaming, I’m thinking of doing this too. Coming from a 5800x.

Paired with a 3080Ti, I’m not thinking of the moar frames(!!), but like the idea of lesser stalls, latency, etc. Not that I suffer from them too much, but less is always better.

Plus it’s the last Hazaa from AM4 in a sense.

As a computer used simply for gaming, I’m thinking of doing this too. Coming from a 5800x.

Paired with a 3080Ti, I’m not thinking of the moar frames(!!), but like the idea of lesser stalls, latency, etc. Not that I suffer from them too much, but less is always better.

Plus it’s the last Hazaa from AM4 in a sense.
I did this as I had a buyer for my 5800x. Cannot see what res you game at but for me. The minimums where much better and depending on the game some were higher others it made no difference.

I have 5800x and I am looking at a last up grade for my AMD4 motherboard to go for 5800x3d or CPU with more cores.

Will I see any real benefits from the upgrade or best to save the money for a AMD5 system?

I have 5800x and I am looking at a last up grade for my AMD4 motherboard to go for 5800x3d or CPU with more cores.

Will I see any real benefits from the upgrade or best to save the money for a AMD5 system?

It’s going to depend on you needs. If it’s for gaming and you have a mid range GPU or above, then you will see a benefit.

Last edited:
It’s going to depend on you needs. If it’s for gaming and you have a mid range GPU or above, then you will see a benefit.

I actually just switched out a 3700X for a 5800X3D while running a 4070. The uplift in some games has been huge, Dying Light 2 for example loved the change.

Sold the 3700X for £70, easy drop in upgrade, I have zero regrets.

The amount of people I know running 3000 series or equivalent chips on 3090's or similar is staggering, granted it depends on the resolution but there's a lot of performance to be had.

I actually just switched out a 3700X for a 5800X3D while running a 4070. The uplift in some games has been huge, Dying Light 2 for example loved the change.

Sold the 3700X for £70, easy drop in upgrade, I have zero regrets.

The amount of people I know running 3000 series or equivalent chips on 3090's or similar is staggering, granted it depends on the resolution but there's a lot of performance to be had.

Absolutely if you have a 3000 series the uplift to a 5800X3D will be huge.

Last edited:

I have a 7900XTX, I do game if I was coming from a lower CPU I would not be hesitating but I had my 5800x for almost three years now.

I have a 7900XTX, I do game if I was coming from a lower CPU I would not be hesitating but I had my 5800x for almost three years now.

I went from a 5900X to a 7900X3D but also tested an 5800X3D in games at 4K on an RTX4080. Most graphically intensive games like CP2077 saw no real improvement but CPU limited games like MSFS saw a massive improvement.

5900X = 43 FPS average in MSFS
5800X3D = 60 FPS average in MSFS
7900X3D = 70 FPS average in MSFS

All identical settings and flight (New York Cesna sight seeing) same RTX 4080.

I went from a 5900X to a 7900X3D but also tested an 5800X3D in games at 4K on an RTX4080. Most graphically intensive games like CP2077 saw no real improvement but CPU limited games like MSFS saw a massive improvement.

5900X = 43 FPS average in MSFS
5800X3D = 60 FPS average in MSFS
7900X3D = 70 FPS average in MSFS

All identical settings and flight (New York Cesna sight seeing) same RTX 4080.
Saw similar (I don’t have a 4090) going from a 5800x3d to the 7900x3d.

Like some other here, I went to the 5800x3d from a non 3D. The difference for me back than was mixed mainly due to more production type work I was doing back then.

With that all said, the 5800x3d was a great CPU for AM4. Should have saved a tonne of money and stuck with it.

Saw similar (I don’t have a 4090) going from a 5800x3d to the 7900x3d.

Like some other here, I went to the 5800x3d from a non 3D. The difference for me back than was mixed mainly due to more production type work I was doing back then.

With that all said, the 5800x3d was a great CPU for AM4. Should have saved a tonne of money and stuck with it.

I do a lot of productivity work that involves a lot of multitasking and am seeing no major difference with the 7900X3D compared to my 5900X to be fair. Apart from a decent improvement in zip file compression I see no real benefit. The 5800X3D in comparison did feel like a step down for productivity over the 5900X but it’s a great gaming CPU.

Back
Top Bottom