• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, may need a thin blade to help prise it off, but a bit of wiggling and it's done.
One thing I will say is that getting it out of the little nooks and crannies around the VRM's requires a little patience since it's rubbery.

Hmmm, well i can use that as a last resort pete. I'd still prefer G1. Everyone is on G1 watch.

Wasn't for me. :eek:

Point noted, link removed. Thanks Mike.

Caporegime
OP
Sorry man, I've been scouring the net trying to locate some for you.

Yeah ive done the same, all i can hope is that a fellow accelero user sees this and was one of the few that didn't use the glue and went with the tape. Thanks anyway.

What will be gutting is if i see you post back saying you tried the glue and it didn't stick so you used tape anyway. :D

Caporegime
OP
Nah, I'll let it set for 24 hours. From the pictures I've seen of it you have to cut the packets and mix it all up? So surely you end up with some waste at the end? :\

Yeah there is plenty there, probably enough for two applications if the stuff lasted that long without forming.

Caporegime
OP
Its a shame ocuk only sell one type of tape, they have naff all in the way of non permanent adhesives as well.

I bought some of that Akasa tape Taken after tommys advice, i stuck one heatsink on with it and it really does stay stuck on, you can knock it and it wont fall off.

Caporegime
OP
I have my bare card infront of me now. I think I'm ready to mix the G-1.

I have only applied the Insulation tape to the Line of VRMS at the back of the card, and the very tiny pair that sit together at the front of the card. I also put insulation tape along the side of the black square blocks to the left of the VRMS. Is this correct?

There is a lot of insulation tape left over..

Sounds good, the rest can be kept spare. I lost mine after the first install. :p

Caporegime
OP
Hmmm... mines came with 2 small sachets of a white and grey adhesive that you had to mix. Is that the G1 or the thermal adhesive?

I kind of need to know as I intend to remove the cooler to add a water block which is already on its way.

I had no idea that they shipped with 2 different forms of thermal compound and assumed that the heatsinks could be removed easily as it said in the product description. I will be contacting Arctic if it turns out they have sold me a product which they claim to be removable, but instead with the thermal adhesive which turns out is non guaranteed to be removable!!!

Can anyone tell me which I have used?

EDIT: Looking at the technical data, it would appear to be to my relief the G1 'glue' that was supplied to me. I was in panic mode reading further up!

Just to add, I am not replacing the Accelero because it is a poor cooler - it is actually a fantastic cooler (although I haven't been happy with the VRM temperatures). Virtually silent all the way up to around 70-80% and barely audible above that. But I decided to give myself a wee water cooling project and seemed to make sense to include the gpu in the loop as well. Wish me luck. Might not get time until nearer end of month however.

Is it too late to ask you to use thermal tape instead of the Glue? I'll buy you the thermal tape if you sell me the glue. ;)

Caporegime
OP
I used Akasa tape, it works. :p Didn't want to mess about with glue, but cutting the pieces of tape was also really tedious without nails. :D

That is a great endorsement for the tape, the small contingent of tape supporters (currently tommy and brian) let out a small roar of approval.

Sell me all your glues plox. :)

Caporegime
OP
Matt I saw your picture higher up in the thread. You haven't missed putting a heatsink there as there is NOTHING to stick the heatsink to. All that is there is a solder joint where a regulator is missing.

Must be something AMD changed on the cards.

Oh well i put a heatsink there anyway and stuck it on with thermal tape. I guess it can't do any harm can it? :D

Have you finished your install Taken?

Caporegime
OP
I finished sticking all the sinks on lastnight at 9pm.

It's still sat there curing. Might leave it till 5pm before I fit the cooler.

I'm a little concerned about the G-1 that gooped out from under some of the heatsinks though. It has got on the board and some of the finer electronics. But it should be ok as it's non conductive??? :\

Its non conductive so you should be ok, you will be able to use a rubber from a pencil to remove it if you want to. However i did warn you what it was like, if heatsinks start falling off then poo has really hit the fan. Try not to touch them and you should be ok if you're very gentle. If a heatsink does fall off, you can try and stick it back on, but thermal conductivity to it will be poor, at least thats what i found.

Good luck. :)

On my second refit i left it 6 hours before fitting mine back together. The stuff never dries solid, its always loose and sticky.

Caporegime
OP
I give Matt

1010am.jpg

for his efforts in trying to source G1.

8fc6h.gif

Caporegime
OP
Well I fitted it, fired up farcry 3. Hit 46oc load temp at 1050mhz core.

VRMS hit 58max.

Ended the game and the pc locked up with no graphical output :eek:

It rebooted itself?!! and the windows sound came up, so it booted. But no display. So I turned it off and on again and it seems to be working *touch wood*

DOUBLE U TEE EFF?!

Playing sleeping dogs (1080p SSAA on high) for 20 minutes minimum, driving round the cities at full speed in car. This will give you a good indication of vrm temps. Farcry 3 is a decent test if you use HDAO and play for more than 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
According to Arctic this glue is the same as supplied with the Accelero 7970 ? Might be worth a look if they post to the UK.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/accessories/587/thermal-adhesive.html

You can also order the heatsink kit on its own it might come with the paste ? Could be worth an ask.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/spare-parts/535/heatsink-accelero-xtreme-7970.html

Thanks for looking Moog. I've already ordered some of that paste, they say its permanent though.

Caporegime
OP
Someone posted on overclock forum that a small amount of lighter fluid removes the permanent glue matt, excess fluid then evaporates.

Haven't tried first hand though, but keep it in mind if you use the permanent glue.

Hmm yeah ill keep that in mind. Sounds a bit risky though pouring lighter fluid over the pcb.

It has been used bud. The accelero has been on the card for 6 or 7 months, but will be coming off to be replaced by a water block. I was worried that Arctic had supplied me with their newer thermal adhesive which appears to be a more permanent solution.

Furry muff, worth a try. ;)

Back
Top Bottom