• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8Packs no BS testing Intel 8700K and Z370 with Delid 5ghz and above available from OCUK.

Associate
The silicon lottery binning figures for i7 8700k's:

As of 11/11/17, 100% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 4.9GHz or greater. ( 1.387V Vcore -2 AVX Offset)
As of 11/11/17, the top 81% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.0GHz or greater. (1.40V Vcore , -2 AVX Offset)
As of 11/11/17, the top 58% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater. (1.412V Vcore , -2 AVX Offset)
As of 11/11/17, the top 30% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater. (1.425V Vcore , -2 AVX Offset)
As of 11/11/17, the top 6% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.3GHz or greater.( 1.437V Vcore , -2 AVX Offset)

That's from 100+ CPUs

Associate
Interesting, no I have not but I know for a fact things like battlefield dont use AVX
If your sure that includes the OS libraries such as graphics drivers that the game calls as well then fair enough. It was just a thought as I have seen some AVX code in the nVidia drivers I use.

Soldato
If your sure that includes the OS libraries such as graphics drivers that the game calls as well then fair enough. It was just a thought as I have seen some AVX code in the nVidia drivers I use.

I haven't been that deep I'll admit but so far the only load I've put on that doesn't trigger the offset is cinebench.
Which kind of makes it useless as that 5.3ghz you think you are getting is only doing 5.0ghz normal use loads.

Associate

Try this to disable AVX and see if the offset still happens after rebooting:

bcdedit /set xsavedisable 1

Someone recommended this to me on another forum (I don't have an 8700k atm or I would test myself). Be aware that this may cause apps to crash although I think it's unlikely if the the software is properly checking for AVX support before taking that path in code.

Associate
What's the big deal with all this avx/non and anyway? Even if OBS etc use avx, just set your volts, pick a multiplier and test, save profile and use that for when you run avx. For all else just do the same and save another profile. Takes a minute to swap profile when needed. Mountains out of mole hills.

Associate
Anyone used an asrock extreme 4 board with a 5 gig binned chip.ive set volts up to 1.4 and cant get prime stable @5ghz.memory is running xmp and temps are low 70s.havnt clocked a cpu from sandy lol.

Associate
Uh oh. Just got the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD on my 8Pack Bundle, after hitting restart in Windows. Only thing I've changed is installed the latest NVIDIA driver via Geforce Experience. Hoping it was that.

Associate
Yeah that did it. No more random AVX offset.

Thanks for reporting. Unfortunately that means something is legitimately executing AVX instructions. You will probably get more performance leaving it on btw depending on how big your offset is. An AVX-256 instruction can do 4x (or more) of the work of a standard instruction.

Soldato
What's the big deal with all this avx/non and anyway? Even if OBS etc use avx, just set your volts, pick a multiplier and test, save profile and use that for when you run avx. For all else just do the same and save another profile. Takes a minute to swap profile when needed. Mountains out of mole hills.

Couple of things really. That 5.x 5ghz cpu you think you have will be downclocking to 4.7/4.8 under loads which you thought weren't avx such as games and you wouldn't even realise.
Second one is who wants reboot and get into the bios whenever you need an avx profile or not, might aswell get threadripper if you were going to do that!

Associate
Thanks for reporting. Unfortunately that means something is legitimately executing AVX instructions. You will probably get more performance leaving it on btw depending on how big your offset is. An AVX-256 instruction can do 4x (or more) of the work of a standard instruction.
Yeah, I will keep AVX on and just make sure it is all stable under real world AVX loads.

@ 8 Pack, can you share when you get more 8700Ks to bin? I could be interested in a 5.2 GHz one...

OcUK Staff
OP
5.2 are in stock now. I binned like 15 or so cpu today and will do another 20 tomorrow. With delid amd retest I guess some will reach the website tomorrow but most not till mid next week.

5.3 anyone??

Associate
5.2 are in stock now. I binned like 15 or so cpu today and will do another 20 tomorrow. With delid amd retest I guess some will reach the website tomorrow but most not till mid next week.

5.3 anyone??

Know if they are planning on putting up 5.0s today? Would be great to have it delivered tomorrow so I can get my PC up again on Sunday :D

Back
Top Bottom