• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8Packs no BS testing Intel 8700K and Z370 with Delid 5ghz and above available from OCUK.

Soldato
OCUK does not sell Delided not binned CPUs no point of deliding **** clocker is there ??

Bit narrow minded. There is if you are happy with a mild overclock and have average cooling. It also won't necessarily be **** given it would come down to chance. Plenty of people including myself would rather pay less for no guarantee of a high clock speed but still want lower temps for a quieter PC with improved performance plus the guarantee from ocuk as they've done the delid. The binning adds cost. I'd be happy with 4.8-5 and couldn't care less if it did or didn't do 5.1+ as it's marginal gain territory for increased temps, noise and voltage.

Associate
Bit narrow minded. There is if you are happy with a mild overclock and have average cooling. It also won't necessarily be **** given it would come down to chance. Plenty of people including myself would rather pay less for no guarantee of a high clock speed but still want lower temps for a quieter PC with improved performance plus the guarantee from ocuk as they've done the delid. The binning adds cost. I'd be happy with 4.8-5 and couldn't care less if it did or didn't do 5.1+ as it's marginal gain territory for increased temps, noise and voltage.

Let's put it another way. If I'm OcUK and I've done the manual effort of delidding (which has an amount of skill to it), why would I put that CPU straight into the store, when I could chuck it in a test bench, run my burn in test script on it at whatever standardised settings I'm using, and see how it runs. Then I might be able to sell it for £lots extra if it hits good clocks.

I'm not dismissing 8Packs skills, he has them, but I imagine once he's tweaked a number of coffee lakes, it doesn't take him much time to find the max clock on sample number #200 as he has a good feel for what sort of settings he is going to need, and probably uses the same motherboard/ram sample every time.

The £499 8700k 5.0ghz SKU was basically what you wanted, a delidded CPU that didn't get anywhere in binning. The extra £140 is for the time spent doing it, and the fact that OcUK have to front the warranty costs themselves.

OcUK Staff
Any reason the 8600k won’t match 8700k clocks, would be willing to pay the extra for a small improvement or even buy an 8700k from ocuk for a binned.

From our testing it does seem like Intel are saving the cores for the i7's as our internal testing is showing for example the i3-8350k really struggles to hit 5GHz, around 4.8Ghz tops without a de-lid, still impressive but clearly a sign Intel are either binning cores or the TDP limit is creating a ceiling to the max OC. 8 Pack will come along and explain in full. :)

Associate
Interesting, I'm just putting this wee beasty together for my Dad, was going 7600k but thought to try my luck with a 8350k, was not expecting it to get anywhere NEAR 5Ghz, but with a Hyper 212, I guess 4.6, 4.7 could realistic, bear in mind this is in a Z370I, so maybe some major limitation due to ITX?? I need to do ITX as need to carry it on a plane! Seems a good budget upgrade from his 2500k.

gkhZZTN.jpg

Soldato
That 8600K will do 4.9GHz without even trying, have a wander around the web, from people who have received them and up and running. Hyper 212 might be just enough to control it for testing. :p

Associate
Got a Hyper212 for the 8350k ITX build, my build is a Hero X, 115i, and still to decide on CPU, threads are not so important so thinking 8600k, got a delid tool, if I can find it, and the gunk!

Permabanned
Let's put it another way. If I'm OcUK and I've done the manual effort of delidding (which has an amount of skill to it), why would I put that CPU straight into the store, when I could chuck it in a test bench, run my burn in test script on it at whatever standardised settings I'm using, and see how it runs. Then I might be able to sell it for £lots extra if it hits good clocks.

I'm not dismissing 8Packs skills, he has them, but I imagine once he's tweaked a number of coffee lakes, it doesn't take him much time to find the max clock on sample number #200 as he has a good feel for what sort of settings he is going to need, and probably uses the same motherboard/ram sample every time.

The £499 8700k 5.0ghz SKU was basically what you wanted, a delidded CPU that didn't get anywhere in binning. The extra £140 is for the time spent doing it, and the fact that OcUK have to front the warranty costs themselves.
Well not fully true i went over all reviews and not all 8700k can hit 5ghz even at 1.4 vcore.

But agree with rest. People have to remember that Warranty is on OCUK pocket NOT INTELS!# if one of tjose delided cpus die ocuk is covering ots full cost. Not that they would die bit yhey can stock cpu can just die.
As i see it ocuk could do it this way.
Just delid 50 pounds.
Delid with warranty 100 pounds.
And as it is binned delid 150 pounds.

Bit then again i bet we would see posts from stupid people like.

I got scamed by ocuk my delided 8700k can do only 4.8x6 i bet they sent me one rejected from binning QQ.

And as I and 8 Pack mentioned not all 8700ks can do 5ghz on qll cores stable.

Soldato

You're viewing it from ocuks perspective. I couldn't care less as I look at it from a consumer/customer perspective. I'd be interested to see the uptake on none binned delid only where you're paying less for what is virtually guaranteed 4.8+ anyway. Noise and temps are more important to me than an extra 100mhz or so.

Soldato
I do wonder why Intel just can't use the same paste so we have optimum cooling anyway? THought I read somewhere that OCUK has worked with Intel on paste before (advising or something), so why still use one paste that needs to be scraped off and replaced? Surely using a different type of paste to all cpu's regardless of their potential isn't going to add much £ to the CPU manufacturing costs? What a I missing ?
I have no issue with the costs OCUK add on for the service, seems quite fair to me if Intel just cant do it themselves.

Associate
Well not fully true i went over all reviews and not all 8700k can hit 5ghz even at 1.4 vcore.

But agree with rest. People have to remember that Warranty is on OCUK pocket NOT INTELS!# if one of tjose delided cpus die ocuk is covering ots full cost. Not that they would die bit yhey can stock cpu can just die.
As i see it ocuk could do it this way.
Just delid 50 pounds.
Delid with warranty 100 pounds.
And as it is binned delid 150 pounds.

Bit then again i bet we would see posts from stupid people like.

I got scamed by ocuk my delided 8700k can do only 4.8x6 i bet they sent me one rejected from binning QQ.

And as I and 8 Pack mentioned not all 8700ks can do 5ghz on qll cores stable.

Didn't 8Pack or Gibbo say that they only had 1 fail to hit 5.0Ghz after delidding? So out of 30, it's pretty much a cert that you will get 5.0.

You're viewing it from ocuks perspective. I couldn't care less as I look at it from a consumer/customer perspective. I'd be interested to see the uptake on none binned delid only where you're paying less for what is virtually guaranteed 4.8+ anyway. Noise and temps are more important to me than an extra 100mhz or so.

So, given that the starting price is £360, what do you think a delidded CPU should sell for? Bear in mind that OcUK have to offer a warranty with it under UK/EU law, and obviously Intel aren't going to cover it, so each return is a £360 loss for them. It's got to take an hour to unpackage, delid, clean, relid, test (as it could have been damaged in the process). Good as I'm sure 8Pack is, I bet one gets damaged on rare occasions.

To be honest you're unlikely to have much change from £499, otherwise it's not worth them bothering. If you're that bothered, do it yourself. I did it with my 4790k (secretly hoping I broke it so I had an excuse to buy Threadripper) and it was... easy.

I do wonder why Intel just can't use the same paste so we have optimum cooling anyway? THought I read somewhere that OCUK has worked with Intel on paste before (advising or something), so why still use one paste that needs to be scraped off and replaced? Surely using a different type of paste to all cpu's regardless of their potential isn't going to add much £ to the CPU manufacturing costs? What a I missing ?
I have no issue with the costs OCUK add on for the service, seems quite fair to me if Intel just cant do it themselves.

Because it runs fine at stock speeds with the cheap paste? Because probably 99% of the CPUs they sell (and probably 50% of the K series ones...) never actually get overclocked, so it's irrelevant? Because by making people delid, they remove their warranty obligation to the CPUs that are stressed the hardest by having loads of voltage rammed through them?

Permabanned
That is some brilliant effort and information you've supplied 8Pack. I have criticised some of your 'PPI' selling posts in the past but this wreaks of effort and matter of fact information. Kudos.

Associate
From our testing it does seem like Intel are saving the cores for the i7's as our internal testing is showing for example the i3-8350k really struggles to hit 5GHz, around 4.8Ghz tops without a de-lid, still impressive but clearly a sign Intel are either binning cores or the TDP limit is creating a ceiling to the max OC. 8 Pack will come along and explain in full. :)

Can confirm this, although my i3-8350K has reached 4.9GHz passing 40 mins of prime 95 v26.6 testing, it needed 1.46 volts to get there.

I've just delidded it and temps are about 10C better, but I am not using liquid metal yet so hopefully there's a bit more headroom there when that arrives.

Back
Top Bottom